Re: MetaBones Speed Booster Adaptor

Unread post by gio67 »

thanks Frank,this is getting really interesting,
thanks for the work
InTheSky
Viceroy

Unread post by InTheSky »

Tomorrow I'm doing a contract with the Canon 17mm TS, so I will let you know if it works well or not. (I'm will bring my A900 in backup in case it is not working well).

Frank
Frank
A7 (R, S & R II) + NEX 3N ( and few lenses )
artington
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by artington »

Metabones Speed Booster adapter – full review | EOSHD.com

Source: http://www.eoshd.com/content/9485/metab ... ull-review
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

Metabones Speed Booster adapter – full review | EOSHD.com
Source: http://www.eoshd.com/content/9485/metab ... ull-review
Interesting review highlighted by Artington above. Looking forward to learning more from Inthesky about the NEX-7/Metabones/Canon 17mm shift lens assignment. I might be interested in a setup on my NEX-6 with Metabones and Samyang T-S 24mm F/3.5 ED AS UMC Tilt / Shift Lens http://www.samyang-lens.co.uk/samyang-t ... -lens.html when both components are available for Sony and the combined price not extortionate. That would give me a true 24mm on my NEX-6 (with Metabones) and 36mm straight on my A580.
InTheSky
Viceroy

WOW :-) that's the only thing I can say so far for the Tilt and Shift experience 17mm Canon with the Camera. And also I can now stop using my A900 for any future contract of stock picture. Combined with the NEX-7 and the new adapter of metabone the 17mm is perfect. Yes ... some smooth corner detail in the very end but not to be mad. In the center up to the near (acceptable corner) the detail is killer.

Unfortunately I cannot share picture done with the lens because it was Security military controlled stuff. I will rent the lens again when I have time and do some test.

I have not played a lot with the tilt shift capability (because my angle of view didn't need it). But combine with the focus peaking (I have got some minutes to do test) the usability with the tilt screen of the NEX was perfect.

So far, keeper for this lens setup.

I received the 100mm 2.0 of Canon this morning, so if I have time tonight, I will do a challenge between the A900 + Minolta 100 2.0 AF and the NEX 7 + Metabone + 100mm 2.0 Canon .

See you,

Frank
Frank
artington
Imperial Ambassador

I am stil trying to figure out one thing and perhaps Frank or someone can shed some light here. The speed adapter increases the aperture by 1 stop. For example an F2 lens becomes F1.4. Now presumably this means that the light transmission doubles. How can this be? Does the adapter concentrate the light? And if so does this mean that the AF sensor (ie the camera sensor on the Nex) will function with an F8 Canon lens (eg 70-200/4 with 2x extender) which normally would be too dark for an AF sensor to work.
agorabasta
Viceroy

Unread post by agorabasta »

artington wrote: The speed adapter increases the aperture by 1 stop. For example an F2 lens becomes F1.4. Now presumably this means that the light transmission doubles.
Total transmission doesn't double; as the flux is condensed from near-FF to APS span, the flux density over the APS area doubles while outside that APS circle it zeroes. It's the same total transmission condensed into a smaller space.

No lens can be too dark for AF, as you may always get more light in with a brighter scene. An f/8 may be not focusing only due to phase error being too small. The adapter increases the phase error, but it's not guaranteed to preserve an appropriate control loop gain for correct AF functioning - this matter needs further testing with the particular lenses.
InTheSky
Viceroy

Yesterday night, I have covered three rock bands in a usually very low light place, and with the 58mm 1.2 at ~F1.0 ... I can tell you that I was never in search for more light ! :-) Also with the 100mm 2.0 almost 1.4 it was perfect. I dream the I can had this adapter for Minolta mount, only for the 135mm 1.8 Zeiss.

All Wide open with the 58mm 1.2 MD first version, so you can see by the exposure time there was very not a lot of light :-) :

[1/10s f/1.0 iso1600]

[[1/60s f/1.0 iso1600]

[1/25s f/1.0 iso6400]

[1/15s f/1.0 iso1600]

So now it is official, I will never turn back from this adapter, it is too useful and I will order the standard one to get the 1.5 crop also. And probably rip off of my Minolta Full frame lenses by the end of the month and go Canon. (I will keep only probably the 400mm HS 4.5, even the 200mm 4.0 will go for a stabilized 100mm 2.8 IS Canon).

Waiting for the NEX 7 replacement, because I will stay with NEX mount for the rest. There is more and more very good E-mount lens there and coming :-) . The 10-18mm 4.0 looks too good.

Frank
Frank
alphaomega
Viceroy

All Wide open with the 58mm 1.2 MD first version, so you can see by the exposure time there was very not a lot of light
Fantastic pictures InTheSky but you have me confused to put it mildly. I understand you were praising your new Metabones adapter but showing pictures taken with a Minolta 58mm MD. My understanding is that the Metabones adapter enables the use of Canon EF lenses on a NEX camera. Please clarify. Perhaps you were not using the Metabones at all but simply a standard MD to NEX adapter, but then were do you get the 1.0 aperture from?
InTheSky
Viceroy

alphaomega wrote:
All Wide open with the 58mm 1.2 MD first version, so you can see by the exposure time there was very not a lot of light
Fantastic pictures InTheSky but you have me confused to put it mildly. I understand you were praising your new Metabones adapter but showing pictures taken with a Minolta 58mm MD. My understanding is that the Metabones adapter enables the use of Canon EF lenses on a NEX camera. Please clarify. Perhaps you were not using the Metabones at all but simply a standard MD to NEX adapter, but then were do you get the 1.0 aperture from?

It is a Rokkor MD with the back modified to fit on Canon mount. This is the cheapest way to get F1.2 on Canon and getting one of the best out of focus effect in this range of price. There is custom made back lens available on the internet for about ~150$, if you already have a Rokkor 58mm 1.2 whatever the version it will only need you a small screw driver and swapping 4 screws (conversion take less than 10 minutes). This lens is not that big and can be put in a standard camera case usually build for NEX body with 18-55mm (including the converter 1.5x or other)

For the moment I don't have that much Canon lenses, but will start getting specific one for my needs.

In the past I have underestimate this lens because I was never able to do proper focus on my A900, there was always a error front or back focus, but now with the Live view and focus peaking assistance, I'm able to get better result. The lens is still not perfect at F1.2 for 100% pixel to pixel analysis on 24mp, but reduce a little bit the resolution or use proper way to limit flare effect wide open and it can match other new lens at full aperture.

The Metabone speed adapter showed me so far that there is less chromatic aberration on the NEX 7 than on my A900.
Frank
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Thanks for showing us the results Frank :)

I wonder if Metabones will make a version for other fittings? MD or Alpha would be great ;) . I suppose there is more market with the Canon fitting - there are just so many more Canon lenses out there.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
alphaomega
Viceroy

Thanks for the explanation InTheSky. I had forgotten about that conversion to Canon on your 58mm MD lens. The pictures are super. I can see from your comments that you are sold on NEX and Metabones. Not sure why you would wish to dispose of Minolta lenses because Metabones intend to extend coverage including Alpha
Other mount combinations will follow shortly afterwards. Leica R, ALPA, Contarex, Contax C/Y and Nikon F (with aperture control for G lenses) will be supported, as will Micro 4/3 and Fuji X-mount cameras. Support for other mounts will be added in the future.
That also answers Birma's point above. The details can be found here
http://www.metabones.com/info/105-info/ ... ed-booster at the bottom.
As said, I would mainly be interested in studying the use of the forthcoming Samyang 24mm T&S lens in front of the Metabones converter on my NEX-6 and straight on my A580. I think this could be a fantastic way of achieving "on site" perspective correction.
artington
Imperial Ambassador

alphaomega wrote:Thanks for the explanation InTheSky. I had forgotten about that conversion to Canon on your 58mm MD lens. The pictures are super. I can see from your comments that you are sold on NEX and Metabones. Not sure why you would wish to dispose of Minolta lenses because Metabones intend to extend coverage including Alpha
Other mount combinations will follow shortly afterwards. Leica R, ALPA, Contarex, Contax C/Y and Nikon F (with aperture control for G lenses) will be supported, as will Micro 4/3 and Fuji X-mount cameras. Support for other mounts will be added in the future.
That also answers Birma's point above. The details can be found here
http://www.metabones.com/info/105-info/ ... ed-booster at the bottom.
As said, I would mainly be interested in studying the use of the forthcoming Samyang 24mm T&S lens in front of the Metabones converter on my NEX-6 and straight on my A580. I think this could be a fantastic way of achieving "on site" perspective correction.
The statement from Metabones refers to ALPA and not to Sony Alpha

http://www.metabones.com/product
InTheSky
Viceroy

Older Alpha lenses need the electronic magnet system to open and close the aperture. This mechanism is not easy to build. But probably a basic one with a ring to open and close the aperture would be great. I was thinking about buying an another Canon EF adapter and removing the lens and trying to put it on my existing LEA1 Sony , but the adapter is a little bit deeper than the Canon, and knowing that the distance from the sensor and the lens in Minolta AF design is already shorter than Canon ..., this will not work. And unfortunately I don't have this time for the moment to try experimenting that.

So it is less expensive to replace some old good Minolta glass with not that bad Canon one. The only problem I always found (except for certain lenses) Canon is always larger than Minolta for the same field of view. But, in other hand, a second hand 5D Mark II is not that expensive and with the Magic lantern (focus peaking now :-)) software you can do almost everything now with this camera. (If I miss too much to play with a mirror box design some time).

Nikon has on most of it's lens the aperture control on the lens ring ... but it is difficult again to control electronically the aperture on that one.

Metabone makes a Canon lens feel like a E-Mount lens, using the aperture control, for video, still everything. In fact, if it is just for the Slow focus, once you are on the back of you camera, you cannot know that this is a Canon or a Sony.

Frank
Frank
alphaomega
Viceroy

The statement from Metabones refers to ALPA and not to Sony Alpha
Thanks for that clarification artington. That puts paid to my vision of a Samyang 24mm T&S lens on my NEX and Alpha 580. What a difference one letter can make. Shame on Metabones for not making a speed booster for A-mount lenses.