Anyone any experience with UK sony repair? Brand new 5R prob

For discussion of the E and FE mount mirrorless system
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Re: Anyone any experience with UK sony repair? Brand new 5R

Unread post by bakubo »

David Kilpatrick wrote:If they had the EOS Remote app installed on their phone - it is entirely free - they could read photos off the camera, and take control of shooting if the camera was in live view mode. You can't control the camera in optical viewfinder mode, all you can do it view images on it, remotely.
First we set the scene: The Royal Bungalow where Will and Kate are having some quality time together in the Royal Bedroom.

Our hero, Paparazzi Pete, is hiding in the bushes at night in the dark outside and has set up his camouflaged Canon 6D + Canon 50mm f1.2 (disguised to look like a coconut, of course) in a tree outside the Royal Bedroom Window. PP is using his trusty iphone 5 + EOS Remote app to control the camera and take many Big Cash Shots. His luck has not always been the best, often missing the Money Shots or being a day late and a dollar short, but this time he knows that he has finally hit the Big Time.

Unfortunately for PP, unbeknownst to him Salacious Sally had been creeping around the Royal Bungalow grounds with her iphone 4s + EOS Remote app (that she downloaded for free) constantly checking to see if by a rare stroke of luck she might catch a stray, unsecured 6D signal from someone's camera. Her eyes light up and she gets a big, dastardly grin on her face when she discovers that she has connected to our hero's 6D! When she sees what the camera sees she knows she has hit the lottery! She quickly copies all his Big Cash Shots and several movie clips off his 6D, deletes them off his camera, and then sets the ISO to 50, shutter speed to 1/4000, aperture to f22, and focus to 0.5 meter to insure that if PP takes anymore photos they will be useless. She quickly transmits the Big Cash Shots to her partner and within minutes he has sold them for Big Cash. Before our Hapless Hero even realizes it his Scoop has become a Stolen Scoop. All is not lost though because Paparazzi Pete has learned an important lesson: Always secure your 6D wifi connections. There are lots of Salacious Sallys out there folks!
Highlandsnapper
Initiate

Unread post by Highlandsnapper »

Letter today from sony stating the damage (exterior) and they have a flat fee of £117 for digital/stills camera. If i refuse there is a charge of £54 to return it.

In my case recipt or not its going to be a chargeable repair i suspect so £117 for the damage is actually reasonable. Not sure about the shutter jamming issue mind you.

I would like to think a replacment camera would be supplied, but this is wishfull thinking :wink:
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Highlandsnapper wrote:I would like to think a replacment camera would be supplied, but this is wishfull thinking :wink:
Good luck! Camera repairs are quite expensive, but I hope they can fix it and you won't have further problems. My one experience with Sony repair was that they replaced a bunch of parts, but not long after I got my camera back the same problem returned. :(

I hope they surprise you and just send you a new camera. Probably more likely it would be demo or refurb unit though.
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

Letter today from sony stating the damage (exterior) and they have a flat fee of £117 for digital/stills camera. If i refuse there is a charge of £54 to return it.

In my case recipt or not its going to be a chargeable repair i suspect so £117 for the damage is actually reasonable. Not sure about the shutter jamming issue mind you.

I would like to think a replacment camera would be supplied, but this is wishfull thinking
Highlandsnapper, you cannot supply evidence that the camera is under warranty so my opinion is that £117 is a reasonable charge to repair all the faults listed. The £54 charge for a return without repair is far too high (in my humble opinion).
Highlandsnapper
Initiate

alphaomega wrote:

I would like to think a replacment camera would be supplied, but this is wishfull thinking
Highlandsnapper, you cannot supply evidence that the camera is under warranty so my opinion is that £117 is a reasonable charge to repair all the faults listed. The £54 charge for a return without repair is far too high (in my humble opinion).

I said it was resonable. But having to prove a camera is within the years warranty when its been on the market a few months is a bit silly. The serial No. and PAL50i stamp on the camera proves it origin.

Anyway, not going to wait for the recipt anymore providing the letter is correct @ £117 for the repair i shall be paying it tomorrow.

I found a small piece of Magnesium in the corner of the kitchen that must have came from the camera so the damage should be considered extensive...
artington
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by artington »

David Kilpatrick wrote:The BJP review needs an addendum if I can't make the iPhone pair quickly and without hassle with the camera. Here's the problem: the iPhone will automatically join my main wifi, or any other wifi it can find, the moment the camera wifi drops. Settings don't change this behaviour. The camera drops its hotspot creation very readily, during menu operations etc.

Every single time you have to reconnect the camera creates a new secure login and displays a password. You have to juggle to keep the camera displaying the password, and active, and stop the iPhone losing the connection. Once you get the two to talk, provided you have not had to enter the wifi menu on the 6D, the remembered password will work. But if it doesn't for any reason - camera not seen by the phone - you have to go into the setup menu.

Once you do that you are back to square one. We wanted to do a family pic, so I just positioned the 6D and got our my iPhone. For no apparent reason, it didn't see the camera or log on to the selected camera network automatically. About five minutes later I gave up and used the self timer.

For this function to work, it has to be completely free of such issues. The times you are most likely to want to use the function are exactly the times when faffing about with new passwords and stuff are not needed.

David
David

I tried out the wifi on the 6D at a dealer and it paired to my Samsung Galaxy S3 with no issues despite using password protection. The functionality is impressive and the ability to check image focus on a large, super clear screen as on the S3 is brilliant. So I bought the camera. I have now set up two linkages, each with different passwords (which are remembered on my devices) to my smartphone and my ipad. No problems of dropping connection or being unable to reconnect at a later stage and having to go through the whole routine again.

I wonder if your issue occurred because you tried to use the camera menu while connected by wifi to your phone. This will immediately close down the connection, as the manual states:

"When you want to prioritize wireless LAN functions, do not operate the shutter button, Mode Dial, or playback button. Otherwise, shooting or playback operation may be prioritized and wireless LAN functions may be ended during the process."

The other thing to watch out for is if the camera is set to auto power down as this will disable the wifi immediately.

I must say I think this is a fantastic utility with much potential both in the field and after a day's shoot for sorting the wheat from the chaff as the EOS Remote app allows both viewing images directly from the camera in high resolution and then remotely deleting the bad ones.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

I set it up, and it remember the connections OK the next couple of days, despite being in different wifi environments (i.e. there were LANs I had used for the iPhone, which changed, including a remembered LAN).

The problem arose when it wouldn't connect a day later, in a location with no other LANs, so it was necessary to use the setup to try to get a connection - remember, if you set up a group, you want to be able to shoot in 30 seconds or a minute, not to be messing around with a camera and a phone.

It then got a bit complex because the camera does not produce the same security key even though the connection has not been renamed. There simply was not time to use the function, forced to use self timer. This should never happen, at least with the same phone and same camera.

Setting up a different connection for another device is not affected. It's when one device is remembering your setup but the camera can't be made to use the setup with a new setup process. I don't have the 6D here now so can't do repeated experiments.

David
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Incidentally, one warning - the WiFi can be left on all the time and will not affect the battery, the GPS must never be left switched on even with the camera turned off. It drains the battery in about four days. You have to go into the menu and switch it off after each session using it, and switch it on only when wanted.

Can't help thinking they would have been better keeping the WiFi active when the camera went to sleep or a button was touched (it's rather hard to maneouvre the camera without touching something) - but making the GPS go to sleep instead when the WiFi currently does.

David
Highlandsnapper
Initiate

Camera returned today, as good as new. In fact if I did not know better I would say the serial No. sticker had been tampered with and a new camera issued. :wink:
Rhtubbs
Initiate

Unread post by Rhtubbs »

Wow! That is great news. Enjoy your Nex :D
Ron

a200, a550, A7r, Sony, Sigma, Tamron, Minolta lenses
johnstra
Heirophant

Unread post by johnstra »

My experience of the Sony Pencoed repair centre was good. Try to get them to repair it under warranty. Even though I had damaged my A77 by falling on it some of the repair was paid for under warranty.
Bob Johnston