What's best

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
classiccameras
Viceroy

What's best

Unread post by classiccameras »

I don't think the perfect camera exists, but what do you think comes close in SLT/DSLR, CSC, Bridge, and Compact.

There are many factors to consider, so I won't attempt to write them all down, although picture quality and ease of use must be high on the list.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: What's best

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Too many choices and questions on this one makes it impossible to reply to without knowing what the criteria is (ie price/shooting style etc etc)
I would expect a lot of new Sony models next year mostly because they will want to make the entire range with the ISO hot shoe.
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

For me, the essence of the perfect CSC would be an NEX6 or NEX7 with one of its wide or normal prime lenses on, 16, 20, 24, or 35. The NEX-5 and NEX-3, with their more compact bodies, are paradoxically more conspicuous in a crowd, especially with the shiny 18-55mm kit lens (it always looks like somebody is pouring out a soda can on their front). With the larger bodies and smaller lens, it looks more like a traditional film camera and doesn't draw so much attention. I should note that I don't have a CSC, but this is just what I've observed.

I'm not drawn to bridge cameras at all, so I can't comment there.

The perfect compact camera is one that fits in your pocket, doesn't encourage a lot of fuss, and doesn't make you keep track of a lens cap. If that means it's JPG only, and doesn't even reward a lot of fuss, then so be it. I personally have an HX9V, a WX150, and a Panasonic TS3. Of these, I like the interface of the WX150 the most, and the IQ of the HX9V the most. If I'm carrying one of these compact its because I don't want to give too much thought to my photography, or don't want others to think I am.

The perfect SLT/DSLR is one that uses the system of lenses you most desire, and offers the most dynamic range. This doesn't put APS-C cameras in the same category as FF cameras--they have different lens systems. Let me explain. A 50/1.4 is a fast normal lens on a FF camera, and a fast portrait lens on an APS-C camera. Also, the APS-C camera will get wider AF coverage in this "portrait" lens, than the FF camera gets from its "normal" lens. For me these ideals would be the A77 or A99, since they have the highest dynamic range in the Alpha system and offer good articulated screens to help you work around their bulk. They also have very fast shutters with quick 1/250th sync speeds and 1/8000 minimum exposures. If you're going to commit to the bulk of an SLR architecture, might as well get the features that are, right now, exclusive to them.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

I think Henry might have found the closest thing to a universal camera so far, it seems to be the solution to travelling with a decent small ILC or even if you don’t travel much. If there was no travelling involved at any point I’d have to think about a 60D now that Nikon have lost the plot with QC, it could be chancy getting a Nikon at the moment I think.
There is the A57, but Barry managed to find a dud even there, I don’t know if that problem is more widespread or if that was just bad luck with one camera. The A77 is liked by those who have one so if you like SLT’s that might be the go.
There is the RX100 but it’s a fixed focal length camera so I don’t think I’d want to be stuck with just that and nothing else, maybe in the compacts I could go for the G15 but I’m not sure it would be good enough for everything but it would come close with most things.
At the moment I would look more than once at a Canon SLR I think to steer clear of the Nikon QC problems and the roulette wheel Flash and possible QC glitches with Sony.
Olympus or Canon…flip a coin.
Greg
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

I was tempted to get a Canon 60d in hindsight it might have been a sensible choice decent price, decent performance and even allowing for the 1.6x crop factor it's quite a nice body.

I would not look at Nikon their QC is suspect, anyway they ruined their P series compact by taking out the viewfinder!
I'd take a look at the Fuji X20 assuming the price falls a bit and the issues sorted out it's got a real viewfinder (with shooting information added), a new trans CMOS sensor, decent lens, nice build and that would be my first choice for a premium compact. Canon's G range are also good cameras used a few and they are nice overall

RX100 looks nice enough output wise but no VF= no sale
Heidfirst
Oligarch

Unread post by Heidfirst »

Greg Beetham wrote: There is the RX100 but it’s a fixed focal length camera
I think that you are thinking of the RX1 as the RX100 has a zoom (equiv. to ~28-112 in 35mm terms iirc).
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Heidfirst wrote:
Greg Beetham wrote: There is the RX100 but it’s a fixed focal length camera
I think that you are thinking of the RX1 as the RX100 has a zoom (equiv. to ~28-112 in 35mm terms iirc).
Yes you’re quite right the RX100 has a non-interchangeable zoom, I shouldn’t trust my memory as much as I sometimes do. But even with that lens I’m not sure that would be enough range to restrict oneself too just that one camera as a single camera solution, whereas the Olympus for example has a range of interchangeable lenses that aren’t bulky.
Greg
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

iPhone 5 ;)
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

Birma wrote:iPhone 5 ;)
Dammit, keep your trump card out of this!
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --