Canon G15, G16: Some thoughts on my new camera

For all talk about digital compacts or EVF-SLRs in the Minolta, Konica Minolta or relevant Sony ranges
classiccameras
Viceroy

Re: Canon G15: Some thoughts on my new camera

Unread post by classiccameras »

I'm impressed with the image quality and Dynamic range. Colours look good as well. Correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't this the Canon compact with a 4thirds sensor or there abouts?
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

The G1X is the APS/smaller sensor (1.7X approx). Tbe G15 is a regular 2/3rds sensor or close to that, but it does perform very well.

David
classiccameras
Viceroy

Its interesting to note the difference in Jpeg performance of the X10 and X20. Look at DPreviews final summery bar scale between the 2 cameras. The X20 RAW performance soars ahead of the X10, but the X10 maintains a considerable lead in Jpegs rivalling and bettering some DSLR's.
I think I will stay with my X10 as my point and shoot camera, absolutely no justification [for me that is] to change.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Sorry. Somehow I missed your question. Yes, the G15 does not have a large sensor. I thought my initial post in this thread made that pretty clear, but maybe not. The fast lens plus small sensor was the whole point. :lol: The fast lens really tranforms this camera compared to the G12.

For the last couple of days I have sometimes gone out for a few hours here in Tokyo and only carried the G15. It works pretty well for street stuff. It is fairly responsive, but less so than the E-M5.

I have been shooting exclusively raw for the last 7 years (as long as the camera had a raw mode), but for the last few days I have been shooting jpegs. I have the camera setup like I did pre-2006 when I mostly shot jpegs. I have contrast and sharpening set to the minimum and I have saturation reduced. This makes the jpeg a bit better for post-processing. With the G15 I also turned on the setting to increase dynamic range. I think it is similar to DRO+ on Sony cameras. The intent is not to get a jpeg I like right out of the camera. I just want one that can be post-processed. I am using jpegs mostly for street stuff. For other stuff I would generally use raw. Anyway, I may not stick with this, but a jpeg file is 1/4 to 1/6 the size of a raw so it is nice not to have such big files.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

I have continued to use jpeg mode with the G15 while out and about in Tokyo all week. I haven't downloaded the photos yet so I can't comment on whether for these types of photos I will continue to use jpegs or revert to my normal raw.

I leave for Bali on Sunday and in Bali I will shoot raw on the G15 and, of course, raw on the E-M5 (haven't shot any jpegs with it).
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

classiccameras wrote:Its interesting to note the difference in Jpeg performance of the X10 and X20. Look at DPreviews final summery bar scale between the 2 cameras. The X20 RAW performance soars ahead of the X10, but the X10 maintains a considerable lead in Jpegs rivalling and bettering some DSLR's.
I think I will stay with my X10 as my point and shoot camera, absolutely no justification [for me that is] to change.

At the moment I would agree, though Fuji might release a firmware update to turn down the NR on the X20 jpegs. I like the output from the Fuji's have to say, the Canon also looks good too. Both the G15 and X20 are a bit pricey right now though.
I'd be more likely to go with Fuji overall as I have ambitions at some point to get an X100s, again it's too pricey right now but end of the year or so it might be viable for me. That way I can pick up a compact flash unit and share them between the 2.

At least Fuji and Canon (to a lesser degree) have got the OVF appeal. Nikon dumped it, Panasonic and Ricoh completely missed it so did Olympus. No OVF = not interested.
classiccameras
Viceroy

As I said earlier, I have a Fuji X10 which is basically my holiday camera. However, like Barry I like the Fuji out put to the point that I have some yearning for the X-E1 as a cheaper option to the X100s and I can also change lenses. If the price comes down by the end of the year, one of my DSLR kits will have to go, probably the D5100.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Here are a few recent ones in Tokyo taken as jpegs per my earlier post. I think I will stick with raw though since I appreciate the extra quality I get with it.

Little children going to kindergarten in the morning, Tokyo:

Ochanomizu, Tokyo:

Jumping off the bus in the rain, Tokyo:

Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Love those Tokyo shots Henry. Great people and surroundings. The little 'crocodile' (does that translate?) of kids is great. The first school here has a "walking bus" which works on a similar basis. In the river shot I like the way the buildings nearest the waters edge are all completely over-shadowed by the buildings behind them :shock: .
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Birma wrote:Love those Tokyo shots Henry. Great people and surroundings. The little 'crocodile' (does that translate?) of kids is great. The first school here has a "walking bus" which works on a similar basis. In the river shot I like the way the buildings nearest the waters edge are all completely over-shadowed by the buildings behind them :shock: .
Thanks. Tokyo is such a great place for photography.

The little children usually walk like that holding hands and in a line with a teacher at the front and back. Sometimes little children are wheeled around in carts too. Here is a photo from last year:

Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Hehe - I should think that makes is much easier to move a group of toddlers around :)
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Birma wrote:Hehe - I should think that makes is much easier to move a group of toddlers around :)
You said it!

Since I got back from Bali awhile back it has been rice planting season in Japan. Around here they flooded the rice fields and have been planting rice. On a couple of walks I took a few photos of the rice fields with the E-M5, but this thread is for the G15 so here are 3 from yesterday with it.

It is tsuyu (rainy seaseon) in Japan now, but mostly there hasn't been a lot of rain. That changed a few days ago and we had 3 days of pretty steady rain. Got up early yesterday morning and the rain had stopped so at 6:00 AM I went out for a walk. This was still rain covered though.

Onions hanging under the eaves of a house.

bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

The U.S. price has really jumped for the G15 since I started this thread. My recollection is that the Amazon price was about $429 then. By the way, here in Japan the price is now about $350 -- I paid $385 for mine about 2.5 months ago.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

I like the food growing shots :)

Rice fields are very photogenic with all of the graphic lines. I like the rain soaked leaves as well. We are just entering our rainy season here in the UK. It's called the summer :( .
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

bakubo wrote:The U.S. price has really jumped for the G15 since I started this thread. My recollection is that the Amazon price was about $429 then. By the way, here in Japan the price is now about $350 -- I paid $385 for mine about 2.5 months ago.
Oops. I forgot to mention that I noticed on Amazon in the U.S. today that the G15 is now up to $499. Same at B&H, Adorama, etc.