Focus on imaging 2013 UK show - No show for Sony

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Re: Focus on imaging 2013 UK show - No show for Sony

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Winkler Prins wrote:Well, as was to be expected, you are not getting the point, stuck in your own *&!?#. It's not about attending every single show, it is about attending the shows that matter. Sony needs to decide between a dying Focus on imaging and another show in a country where people actually like EVF's and mirrorless camera's. In other words, you are not the centre of the universe. I visit the Photokina show every two years and I don't care about any other show. Does Sony have to spend thousands of dollars for a show to make three people in Wales buy an A58? I guess not. It would be nice but they're not going to make any profits of that. Get real. People buying camera's because they saw a TV commercial, that is outright sad...
It’s sorta like a self-fulfilling prophecy then, with Sony at the helm.
And yeah Sony really know what they are doing marketing wise, it’s awesome really, they bashed out a whole bunch of entry level cams with missing features trying to do a D40, after the horse had bolted. Meanwhile the market they were appealing too were busy adapting to snapping pics with smart phones, and at the same time Sony ignored and alienated (even insulted) their established legacy base along with creating more problems than they fixed, and seeing as how all that worked so well are still doing much the same, and if rumours are to be believed more to come…yep smart moves alright.
It’s no wonder that Sony is selling off the farm, closing stores, and losing market share.
Make.believe isn’t going to make up for no.idea Sony.
People don’t want a 100Mp super camera that you will have to buy a supercomputer for Sony, most A-mount owners just want you to fix the flash system that you broke…that would be a good start.
Greg
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Sony has good relationships with Future Publishing, the group which is set to stage the replacement show. It's a complete new set of people - the Future mailing list is not the tired old Focus mailing list and they have dozens of magazines which are relevant and will promote their own show directly.

I expect to see Sony back in 2014 as a key exhibitor for the new show which may be more like The Gadget Show. It's possible that Sony may be persuaded to time product news or hands-on availability just to fit with the show. As to whether Alpha is going to be as significant as Cyber-shot by then, who knows? Of the two divisions, I reckon Cyber-shot now has the advantage and could in due course grab the entire NEX line away from the Alpha division, especially if Sony did feel Alpha was just going anywhere. There would not be any loss of investment in lens design and everything made for Alpha except a few wide-angles and standard zooms would be repurposable for NEX (including NEX full frame).

You can tell a lot about the health of a system by looking at its components. Nothing new, shorter than 16mm for APS-C, has been introduced by Sony for Alpha - nothing. It's still running on the old 11-18mm as a the only choice, not even SSM, and that is now approaching 10 years old as a design.

David
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Funny thing is I remember asking the Sony support guy what he shoots with and he said
"Canon"

And he works for Sony, I found that a bit surprising really :mrgreen:

I can't see A mount being dropped entirely for NEX, the ILC boom is gone now and it will probably be less profitable longer term than a DSLR division.
Sony's problem is constantly changing direction/strategy, never sitting down and addressing the weaker system points (flash/gaps in system) OVF then drop that, then SLT then drop that, hot shoe change etc etc. Users hate inconsistency.

My ultimate hope is that A Mount gets sold off at some point to another company. Yes there is no up to date UWA, but evidently it was more important to bring out an overpriced 50mm f1.4 with a Zeiss badge on it (no idea who thought that one up)
classiccameras
Viceroy

Unread post by classiccameras »

Now I wonder who would be interested in buying Sony A mount, Olympus possibly because of their joint research or an existing APS-C maker, or a brand new A mount division run independently of Sony but still using the Sony name.
Heidfirst
Oligarch

Unread post by Heidfirst »

bfitzgerald wrote:Funny thing is I remember asking the Sony support guy what he shoots with and he said
"Canon"
I worked for Canon (& Agfa) & I shot Minolta ... ;)
classiccameras
Viceroy

Unread post by classiccameras »

I would love to see the name Zeiss/Contax resurrected, may be with the Sony 'A' mount and new non SLT body, possibly a proper DSLR again. They already Make lenses for Sony or at least lend their name, so why not. Can't let Leica be the only high end German Digital.