Landscape 2013

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
aster
Tower of Babel

Re: Landscape 2013

Unread post by aster »

New Zealand is absolutely beautiful and you certainly captured some of its corners and hidden natural treasures beatifully, Caporip.

Love the colours, the dramatic scenery and the reflections...

Thanks for sharing,

Yildiz
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

NZ sure is a pretty place, nice shots caporip.
Greg
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

A beautiful place indeed Richard :) . Love the blues in the third one especially.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

To take a break from pictures of Cornwall, I have been revisiting some of my old pictures and experimenting to see if my post-processing s/w and skills have evolved enough in the last few years to make re-processing the pictures worthwhile. Here are a couple from Northumberland in 2010, back in the old days of the A700 and the Tamron 17-50/2.8 (mk 1).

2010 Northumberland - Winter's End by Birm, on Flickr

2010 Northumberland - Shore Dawn by Birm, on Flickr

I can see an improvement in the processing, but I wish the original raws had been exposed more "to the right" and that I had been able to focus better.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Those are quite artsy Birma, attention grabbing for sure, the light coloured grass makes the first particularly attractive, as something different. The sunset? is good too, maybe a tad overdone for my taste but that’s just me, no great biggie. :)
Greg
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Thanks Greg :) I appreciate the feedback.

The second is actually a sunrise. I didn't cook the colours in this one, I just adjusted white balance to warm the image which was a bit cool straight out of the camera. I find that this a pretty typical pre-sunrise. Most of the adjustments I made were trying to bring out the shadows . I guess it was just a pretty zany sunrise for colours :)

I am disappointed that I didn't get anything interesting in the foreground in that second one. I can remember desperately searching up and down the shore, but it was all just pretty bland, flat sea-weed on rocks. Perhaps I should have gone wider and lower.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

The foreground is what is quite interesting I think Birma, it balances the drama above with all those speckled highlights, it just seems a little bit strange though because the sun doesn’t seem to be shining directly on it to produce those highlights, so it’s attractive and odd-ish seeming both at the same time, but certainly not beyond the realms of possibility in real life I’d imagine.
Mind you we don’t get seaweed on the foreshore here, in my area anyway, (dugongs and sea turtles eat it I think) so it’s something out of the ordinary for me, and novel under those lighting conditions.
All in all the foreground is what contributes to the image almost as much as the sky and the great reflection of the sky I think.
Greg
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

The first one is amazing, Birma. Especailly the wind-swept white grass that bends in all directions. I loved it. :)

In the second the perspective that frames the cloud formations son neat that it is as if the couds are headed and leaving to an other place. I tlooks like a sky runway. The foreground has no problems of lacking interesting subjects in my view. I like focusing on the clouds and the sea and the light.

Thanks for sharing,

Yildiz
sury
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by sury »

Birma wrote:
I can see an improvement in the processing, but I wish the original raws had been exposed more "to the right" and that I had been able to focus better.
Andy,
I am confused. If the originals are in RAW format, why do you worry about exposure? I thought the advantage of RAW is that you can tweak exposure without too much of an issue.

With best regards,
Sury
Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Hi Sury, the best full explanation is here http://www.martinbaileyphotography.com/ ... dcast-381/. In short, if you are going to adjust exposure in post it is better to reduce exposure (I.e. darken the whites) rather than increase exposure (i.e. lighten the darks) to reduce introduced noise.
mvanrheenen

Unread post by mvanrheenen »

Yep, ETTR (expose to the right) is mentioned in a lot of articles about photography. I use it too, just don't overdo it because.otherwise you'll end up with a lot of clipped highlights which may not be recoverable.

Mark
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

I completely agree Mark; ETTR, but no too much ;)
Dr. Harout

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Agree, I always shoot with EV +0.3-0.7
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
bfitzgerald

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Panoramic stitch as promised some time ago. Hugin failed to work on this one, so I used MS ICE, simple but it does the job
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Very nice pano Barry :) . I like along the river.