FF announced

For discussion of the E and FE mount mirrorless system
classiccameras
Viceroy

Re: FF announced

Unread post by classiccameras »

Its metal looking plastic I tell you, only joking, it looks like the focus screw is still there, would this still work through an A mount adaptor for Alpha and legacy lenses.
Do we still expect any thing new in Alpha mount or is that it for this year.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

artington wrote:Notwithstanding my hopes, the comments in the attached link suggests that adapted legacy-glass may not be all it's cracked up to be, which is a shame. It certainly would make one thing twice about using an adapted tilt-shift lens.

http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.co ... asons.html
I read that link, but it is only talking about Leica RF lenses. Those sit quite close to the sensor, but old MF SLR lenses sit further away.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Greg Beetham wrote:I didn’t find in the specs (unless I missed it) if either camera had an X-sync port, I know if I had too chose between either having an HDMI port or an X-sync port I know which one I’d want.
Designing cameras is a daunting task for sure, but by and large people buy a camera to take photos, not for charging batteries. A camera at those prices without a supplied charger, Sony you have to be kidding.
I’d have to mark them down for not having an onboard flash as well.
I’d have to further mark them down for not having stabilization for its main purpose in life, for use with legacy lenses. (With a means of entering the focal length into the camera).
It’s all very well to say a new direction in cameras is a stroke of marketing genius and will attract lots of buyers, but in order to sell it has to be useful and have some kind of superiority in something to justify its existence, at the moment all these have to offer mainly is reduced size.
If the reduction in size also means a reduction in being useful with some aspects of photography then the whole idea retreats into being a solution to a non-existing problem, an advance sideways, or nor even that.
As for them being good for scenic work, we haven’t seen any image examples yet, so it might pay to wait and see how that turns out with various lenses, maybe even an FE mount lens if one can be found.
Greg
Well you can look at it a number of ways..
Those f4 zooms Sony have release, you can match that DOF wise with f2.8 zooms on a crop camera
The better high ISO say it's 2 stops (just picking a number), you can possibly make that up with the IBIS on A Mount APS-C :mrgreen:

I'd love to start using my mostly FF lens system again, but by the time you buy this, an adaptor it's still not exactly cheap is it?
FF is nice, but it's not attractive enough price wise right now for "most people"

As for the plastic tabs on the mount, it's Sony trying to save a few pennies again.
I'll be honest, the A7 could probably sell for under £1000 I bet it doesn't cost that much to make

FF digital has little appeal right now until prices drop significantly.
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

Wes Gibbon wrote
Your comment about using legacy glass did remind me that one of the major omissions from the Alpha lens line-up is the lack of a TS lens which maybe an A7+adaptor might address (we hope!).
I understand there is a good Metabones converter that would allow the use of Canon T/S lenses.
There is also an interesting solution (not needing converter) invented by Samyang
Samyang announces five full frame E-mount lenses

Samyang has announced that it will be making five full frame lenses in E mount, which will be the first third party optics compatible with the A7 and A7R. The lenses are all based on existing designs, namely the 14mm f/2.8 ED AS IF UMC, 24mm f/1.4 ED AS IF UMC, 35mm f/1.4 AS UMC, 85mm f/1.4 AS IF UMC, and the T-S 24mm f/3.5 ED AS UMC tilt-and-shift. All feature manual focus and aperture operation, and will be available within 2 months. As these are essentially SLR lenses with an adapter tube permanently fitted, they won't offer any of the size advantages achievable by 'native' lenses.
LENS NEWS
DPReview.
So there is a 24mm T/S lens not needing an adapter. At least you cannot say they are not quick out of the starting blocks. I can see lots of interesting solutions to bring a myriad of lenses to these A7 thingies being invented.
Wes Gibbon
Oligarch

Unread post by Wes Gibbon »

I seem to remember seeing reviews of the Samyang TS lens which were not all that encouraging, but I'd like to try one, maybe at the FOI replacement which they say is going ahead.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

I wonder how many people will continue to pay $2800 for the RX1 without an EVF when the A7 can be bought for $1700 + cost of a lens and it includes an EVF? (U.S. prices) I know that many people love the RX1 and have enjoyed using it for the last 6 months.
InTheSky
Viceroy

Unread post by InTheSky »

A7R officially ordered today. There is a strange problem Sony Canada. Because of the currency value, I'm expecting they are waiting at last to make it available in Canada. I had to ordered it via a Store with some special call to Sony ... , probably it will be resolved in a few days ... Expected late November.

Regards,

Frank
Frank
A7 (R, S & R II) + NEX 3N ( and few lenses )
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

No surprises then on features but I didn't expect the to be so keenly priced from the off. I am attracted by the 7r sensor, but left wondering if I prefer it in the A99 body :? . I will be interested to see how AF compares between the two to see if the 7 is better for me as a walkaround.

Does this section of the forum need to change name now? :)
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
InTheSky
Viceroy

Unread post by InTheSky »

Birma wrote:No surprises then on features but I didn't expect the to be so keenly priced from the off. I am attracted by the 7r sensor, but left wondering if I prefer it in the A99 body :? . I will be interested to see how AF compares between the two to see if the 7 is better for me as a walkaround.

Does this section of the forum need to change name now? :)

A99 body was really bad for video control compare to the NEX system. Always stock to the F3.5 aperture for auto focus, and not freedom has the NEX 7 when you switch from photo to video quickly for the control of speed and aperture. But, the only think I really loved on the A99 was the silent wheel on the front, but found that this is mostly equivalent to the 4 control wheel on the NEX 7. So now, I hope the freedom for video will be equivalent on the A7r compare to the NEX 7.

I was also surprised when I found that the Stabilization system on the A99 for video was in fact software becoming almost the same field of view of the NEX 7 (if Stabilization on).

I'm still not so happy of the view finder on the top of the A7r making it bigger for my very small setup for travelling, but let's see ... :-).

Frank
Frank
A7 (R, S & R II) + NEX 3N ( and few lenses )
Vidgamer
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by Vidgamer »

bakubo wrote:I wonder how many people will continue to pay $2800 for the RX1 without an EVF when the A7 can be bought for $1700 + cost of a lens and it includes an EVF? (U.S. prices) I know that many people love the RX1 and have enjoyed using it for the last 6 months.
I think the only reason to get an RX1 at this point is if you want a no-hassle built-in lens. For those with a lot of spare cash and maybe aren't as much photography nuts, it could still make sense. At its price point, it was never going to be exactly a huge seller.

I'm finding the A7 discussions interesting, but I have to go along with BF and say that I'm really not interested in "moving up" into ever more expensive cameras and lenses, even if they are a good deal compared to other brands. I just moved-up to a Nex-6 and I'm good for a while, thanks! ;-)

I am excited for people like Frank who are jumping in. Looking forward to seeing what you can do with it.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Part of this may just be that in the last few years digital cameras have gotten so good that the new stuff isn't as tempting as it used to be. Here is a list of my main digital cameras over the years (I am not including various digicams that I have used as carry-everywhere, pocket cameras):

2000 Olympus D-340R 1.2mp
2001 Olympus D-510Z 2.1mp
2002 Minolta D7i 5mp
2003 Canon Digital Rebel (300D) DSLR 6.3mp
2005 Konica Minolta 7D DSLR 6.1mp
2006 Canon 30D DSLR 8.2mp
2007 Sony A100 DSLR 10.2mp -- continued using the 30D for most stuff until I sold 30D and bought A700
2008 Sony A700 DSLR 12.2mp
2010 Canon 60D DSLR 18.1mp
2012 Panasonic G3 m4/3 16mp
2012 Olympus E-M5 m4/3 16mp

I still have the ones in bold.

For the last 1.5 years I still watch the new cameras and see stuff that looks interesting, but I haven't really felt all that much in the mood to get a new main camera. Of course, one of these days my E-M5 will get lost/stolen/broken or maybe next year there will be something that really makes me want something new. In m4/3 the new Olympus E-M1 and Panasonic GX7 both look quite good, but not enough to get me to buy one, especially at current prices. I am still satisfied enough with my E-M5 and lenses to be content to keep using them. I suppose if in a few months the GX7 got down to $700 or so then I might be tempted. I suspect you are feeling much the same about your NEX gear.
Wes Gibbon
Oligarch

Unread post by Wes Gibbon »

For those who haven't seen it, check out the Kirlpatricks' (David and Richard) reactions on the Photoclubalpha home page. The picture of an R7 next to a Nikon D4 is remarkable.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Surprisingly at this early stage there is quite a lot of info in the write up by RK & DK, very well done. http://www.photoclubalpha.com/
I see Sony are intending to make the 70-200/4G in A-mount as well now http://blog.sony.com/press/sony-introdu ... nt-lenses/ .
I wonder if the design is going to be parfocal, I notice that even Zeiss has a zoom in the new FE range that is non parfocal. (I also wonder if Sony has caught the ZOOM by wire disease for the FE mount, at least the A-mount version of the 70-200/4 should be a mechanical ZOOM design)
I won’t have a bar of non parfocal zooms myself, to me it’s a complete waste of money buying such a lens as I like to zoom in and focus and zoom back out to take the photo sometimes, I don’t always do that of course but at least you can if the lens is designed and built properly.
Greg

Ps I guess the forum could be called E-mount now that that the NEX banner is fading from view (but not Alpha E-mount…that’s a Sony marketing/promo gimmick). :roll:
Last edited by Greg Beetham on Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Some of the Sony lenses for the A7/A7r are not so large, but some are. The A7/A7r have some really nice aspects. The small body size with FF sensor in combination with adaptors and and some old, small, MF, SLR lenses make it look very attractive for serious landscape people who don't care about AF and IS. Here are just a couple of comparisons.

This one the lens sizes are not so different:

http://camerasize.com/compact/#482.352, ... .352,ha,tt

This one they are very different:

http://camerasize.com/compact/#482.366, ... 2.366,ha,t

I care about size/weight, but many people don't care about size/weight, of course.
OneGuyKs

Unread post by OneGuyKs »

Vidgamer wrote:
bakubo wrote:I wonder how many people will continue to pay $2800 for the RX1 without an EVF when the A7 can be bought for $1700 + cost of a lens and it includes an EVF? (U.S. prices) I know that many people love the RX1 and have enjoyed using it for the last 6 months.
I think the only reason to get an RX1 at this point is if you want a no-hassle built-in lens. .
Don't forget the lens on RX1 is F2.0. 35mm lens on A7 would be F2.8