Canon G15, G16: Some thoughts on my new camera

For all talk about digital compacts or EVF-SLRs in the Minolta, Konica Minolta or relevant Sony ranges
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Re: Canon G15: Some thoughts on my new camera

Unread post by bakubo »

Dusty wrote:My Japanese is rusty (ok, non-existent!), but I think it says what the one over our urinal says: Stand Close, it's shorter than you think!
Yep, that's basically what they are saying. But, what are they looking at down there? :lol:
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

bakubo wrote:
Dusty wrote:My Japanese is rusty (ok, non-existent!), but I think it says what the one over our urinal says: Stand Close, it's shorter than you think!
Yep, that's basically what they are saying. But, what are they looking at down there? :lol:
:roll: and I thought it says: your life is in your hand...
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Doc, in Bali as I wrote in my trip report, the men often take their cocks in hand and stroke them. They don't seem to mind if anyone watches them. They are very proud of their cocks. :lol:

By the way,we are at Narita airport (Tokyo) now waiting for our flight to Las Vegas. The last 4 months in Japan have been good.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Bon voyage Henry :) Do you have an itinerary for your trip in the US? Just wondering what sort of pictures we should look forward to ;)
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Birma wrote:Bon voyage Henry :) Do you have an itinerary for your trip in the US? Just wondering what sort of pictures we should look forward to ;)
No itinerary. We need to take care of some personal stuff and also see family and friends.

Here are a couple of photos with the G15 just after we took off from Matsuyama a few days ago.

Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Wow - love those aircraft views Henry - it looks even better than Google Earth :)
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Some of you may have seen (or may not have seen) this rather interesting comparison of the Canon G10 and Hasselblad H2 + Phase One P45+ back:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/kidding.shtml

In many ways the G15 is improved over the older G10. The resolution of the G15 is slightly less (12.1mp vs. 14.7mp). The G15 has less noise at high ISO and it has a faster lens than the G10 so the high ISO isn't even used as much.
Last edited by bakubo on Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

I see Canon have updated G16 and S120 models coming out. Have to say neither looks to be anything bar a very minor update.
Maybe a G15 is a good buy now can't really see the G16 being of interest to G15 users.

Wonder what's going on with Canon lately, they seem very conservative and I'm surprised they've not jumped on the RX100 1" compact bandwagon
mvanrheenen

Unread post by mvanrheenen »

I read that the new DIGIC 6 processor in the G16 boosts AF performance 41% as opposed to the G15. Still not a major update.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

mvanrheenen wrote:I read that the new DIGIC 6 processor in the G16 boosts AF performance 41% as opposed to the G15. Still not a major update.
I just read about the G16 a few minutes ago. Yes, I don't see anything that tempts me to buy it over my G15. The specs are almost identical to the G15 in the areas that I care about. The G15 had a major speed up in operation and AF compared to the G12 and the G1X and I am quite satisfied with the G15 speed. So far I have never lost a shot, for the kinds of photos I use the G15 for, because of slow AF or operation. If the G16 is a bit faster then that is good, but the G15 is already quite fast and sufficient for me. I paid $385 for my G15 in April and I see that the G16 is $549. I am sort of happy that there is not some big improvement in an area I care about because then I might be tempted. :lol:
mvanrheenen

Unread post by mvanrheenen »

bakubo wrote:I paid $385 for my G15 in April and I see that the G16 is $549.
That's a big difference for a small difference ;-)
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

mvanrheenen wrote:
bakubo wrote:I paid $385 for my G15 in April and I see that the G16 is $549.
That's a big difference for a small difference ;-)
Yes, that is what I was thinking too. :)
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

They have their semi-review up on the G16 and it confirms what I was expecting. Nice, but for me nothing particularly noteworthy compared to the G15. The G16 is quite a bit more expensive than my G15 ($385 in April 2012). The G15 for under $400 made it quite a nice camera. I wouldn't buy a G15 or G16 for $550 though.

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/155885 ... ershot-g16
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Note, I corrected the link to the dpreview G16 semi-review in my previous post.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

A few days ago I posted about the really cool photo exhibition that I went to on Sunday:

Radical Transformation: Magnum Photos into the Digital Age

http://www.photoclubalpha.com/forum/vie ... =52&t=7965

I got to thinking that even my Canon G15 digicam could have easily taken most of the wonderful photos in the exhibition (and some of them could have been taken much better probably from a technical standpoint). Of course, I am not saying this is some earth shaking news. :lol: Just that even this small sensor digicam with good, fast lens, pretty quick AF and operation, IS0 80-12,800 (and auto ISO), small, light, robust build, thousands of photos on a little SD card, and so on would have probably seemed like a dream to most of these photographers. The amazing choices we have now with FF, APS-C, m4/3, etc. are well beyond what these photographers probably could have even imagined when they were taking the photos. It doesn't mean that there aren't a few advantages back then though -- no worries about batteries! :lol: