FF announced

For discussion of the E and FE mount mirrorless system
artington
Imperial Ambassador

Re: FF announced

Unread post by artington »

Imaging Resource also (see earlier link in this thread)

Not that surprising seeing as Sony make both sensors. You would expect them to tweak their own versus competing products - and I think it may be fair to say that the a7r does compete with the D800e and 5D3 for people who are not already wedded to Canikon. I should imagine this is a real concern for Nikon because it is relying on Sony for its sensors. Now I don't suppose Sony is likely to use aggressive tactics such as withdrawing supply or banging up the price because it would scare its other customers but it must be a worry nevertheless, particularly for a small company like Nikon.
classiccameras
Viceroy

Unread post by classiccameras »

Actually one or two Nikon DSLR's have moved over to Toshiba sensors and I read there may be more to come with that sensor brand. Is this the first stages one wonders of Nikon dumping Sony for future sensor supply.
For Nikon to use Toshiba sensors I would imagine there has been some joint research going on.
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

Actually one or two Nikon DSLR's have moved over to Toshiba sensors and I read there may be more to come with that sensor brand. Is this the first stages one wonders of Nikon dumping Sony for future sensor supply.
For Nikon to use Toshiba sensors I would imagine there has been some joint research going on.
Classiccameras, that is normal based on my business experience. Don't think Sony always supplied Nikon with all their sensors. New competitors come in and you diversify your supply base based on qualitly and price for the particular market. Nikon will probably contiue to purchase certain sensors from Sony, in particular the more critical ones such as the 36Mp. Believe the differences in performance A7r v D800 more in the processors rather than sensor.
Sony sensor division would not alienate a large customer to suit the Sony camera division. In USA that might even be illegal. Don't know about Japanese commercial law. Have some experience of the US situation. Olympus started to purchase from Sony and Pentax remain as they claim Sony make the best sensors.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Confirmed sensors in Nikon cameras are Sony and Renesas (and supposedly Toshiba); Chipworks identified some as Renesas by design and ID code along with the different ID codes on the Sony sensors, actually there have been quite a few Nikon cameras that weren’t fitted with Sony sensors so it’s incorrect to label Nikon as a Sony sensor user primarily. http://www.chipworks.com/en/technical-c ... n-vs-sony/ There have been more Nikon cameras NOT using Sony sensors it seems, but there are a few cameras missing from that list.
Renesas is mostly owned by Mitsubishi (so I’ve been informed) just like they own most of Nikon so I don’t put much store in the Toshiba thing but anything is possible in the camera industry these days, however I am pretty sure the A7-A7r sensors are made by Sony.
Greg
classiccameras
Viceroy

Greg
Its just some thing I read in a photo journal, but that does not make it necessarily true.
I'm sure Sony cameras will stay with Sony sensors as they are one of the best chips around. Its interesting to note the number of early Nikons that used Sony sensors even the D40 and earlier.
Pentax also use Sony sensors, but reading some Pentax forum threads, many Pentax fans liked the old Samsung sensor.
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

The Lightroom 5.3 release candidate is now available with Nikon D610, Olympus OM-D E-M1, & Sony A7 support: http://adobe.ly/HLzINx
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Pete you were correct, there is a Toshiba sensor in the D5200 http://www.chipworks.com/en/technical-c ... iba-found/ ; it’s a different story in APS-C territory, (to FF) here Nikon as far as I can find out do use Sony sensors maybe more than Renesas and they have a relationship with Aptina as well (maybe in the smaller camera lines) it seems Toshiba is a new player in the Nikon scene.
Greg
classiccameras
Viceroy

Greg, you had a point though that it could be down to cost.

Its looking like the new Sony A7 and A7r FF cameras are going to give Olympus and Nikon a run for their money, especially the OM-D EM-1.
artington
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by artington »

This link gives some examples of using A7R with legacy lenses. The range is broad from wide to moderate telephoto. Interesting to see that it is only the LM lenses that are prone to problems of lateral shading and/or colour banding.

http://siammirrorless.com/board/index.php?topic=1644.0
classiccameras
Viceroy

Very impressive, are there any pics with 'A' mount Minolta and Sony lenses fitted to the A7/A7r
CharlieWebster
Oligarch

Unread post by CharlieWebster »

bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Not sure about that Toshiba sensor.
Some users complain about green casts at high ISO (no idea on that one but it's mentioned)
Also seen banding on that sensor (not just high ISO either, but in high contrast scenes)

I do know the D7100 has fallen hugely in price, maybe the small buffer a problem..maybe folks are not crazy about the sensor.
classiccameras
Viceroy

I think Nikon colours were a bit suspect on earlier sensors even down at 100 ISO.
Nikon for years tried to perfect their colour balance for in door portrait as most Studio Pros used Nikon. Only one camera was tipping the balance for in door portrait and that was the Fuji S5 Pro [in a Nikon body], many studios preferred them to Nikon. I think scenic and landscape colours, reds and greens in particular from Nikon suffered because of this
I still think Sony produce the best colours [after a bit of toning down] of any DSLR/SLT with a reserved Fuji as well.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Nice one Charlie! :)
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Birma wrote:Nice one Charlie! :)
That's Gustav's shot (Ijsvogel).
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr