RX10 and A7r arrived

For all talk about digital compacts or EVF-SLRs in the Minolta, Konica Minolta or relevant Sony ranges
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

RX10 and A7r arrived

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Had time only to do my necessary studio shots of the RX10, A7r still being allowed to warm up from freezing temperature package. No lens for A7r so will be shooting only with legacy glass initially.

The RX10 is interesting - very functional camera, good to hold and use, takes some adapting to the zoom action (slow and very steady), and autofocus is not the point and shoot guaranteed correct result found on the RX100 models - mor sophisticated, no doubt, but relatively slow. Optical quality excellent++ centrally, even wide open, with just an acceptable degree of softness smearing the extreme edge/corners at most settings. Certainly as good as most 24-70mm f/2.8 lenses on full frame (even those show similar losses at the extremes) and between than any 24-200mm or even 24-105mm or 24-120mm.

Although I have no light to speak of today and I'm still just setting the camera up and handling it, one of my focusing tests indoors showed that the bokeh at 200mm= and f/2.8 is surprisingly good (and that is without a lens profile).
fullaperturefulllength.jpg
fullaperturefulllength.jpg (93.25 KiB) Viewed 8644 times
This is a pretty noisy ISO 1600 original, and I think I'd keep this camera below ISO 800 normally, which given the speed of lens is fine.

David
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Re: RX10 and A7r arrived

Unread post by pakodominguez »

Mazel tov!
;-)
The focus/zoom speed and aperture ring are more video-friendly.
http://nofilmschool.com/2013/11/sony-rx ... ry-camera/
looking forward seen your samples with legacy lenses. Are you planning to get Sony's "FE" lenses? did you get the LA-EA4?
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

No LA-EA4 yet. I may do so, Adrian Paul has them in stock. Thing is I do not want the SLT mirror, I have that in my A99 and it's OK but I want a pure lightpath. What I get will depend on what I sell, and having just spent £2600 I do need to sell something to cover it.

Initially, I plan to try the A7r with a non-recommended Voigtlander 15mm; a Minolta MD 28mm last series; and a Russian 50mm f/2 tilt-adapted lens. I have some longer lenses but I really don't see the point. without stabilisation. I am sure the Tamron VCIII 18-200mm used at the 200mm end and cropped to 16 megapixels will produce better actual results than any attempt to use things like my older 200mm Minolta and Vivitar lenses.

For anything over 200mm, a regular APS-C - maybe the A77 or the A55 - with sensor stabilisation does the job better. Same goes for macro. The A7r is not ideal for microscope or bellows macro work either because of the shutter design.

Been testing flash on the RX10 and find that whatever the manual says, I can't get a faster shutter speed than 1/1600th. But my camera came without a manual :-)

David
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

No CD with the manual/handbook? remark, one weak point on KM or Sony cameras had been the users manual anyways.

The Russian tilt/shift adapter has a M42 mount, right? I wish they make it for MD/MC mount...

As for tele lenses, I asked the Sony Rep here at Adorama (he shows Sony cameras every 2 weeks, on Thursdays) about the 70-200f4 and he told me is a little bit longer than the ZA 24-70, but not that big (72mm filter size instead of 77mm on the 24-70).

Like you, if I decide to go A7R, I will need to unload equipment (I already start selling e-mount lenses I don't use enough). But this time is hard. The NEX7 is still a great camera and is the only APS camera I have. I use mostly the A99 for work and I don't want to sell the A900 because no more OVF in the future... The A7(R) AF in low light (that is the environment where I work) is poor, so it can not replace the A99 -not yet.

I'm still thinking about this new FF camera...
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Looking forward to hearing more of your thoughts on both cameras DK. Now the real reviews begin :) .
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

I am not jealous,
I am not jealous,
I am not jealous,
I am not jealous,
I am not jealous,
I am not jealous,
I am not jealous,
I am not jealous,
I am not jealous,
I am not jealous,
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Dr. Harout

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Have read a lot of reviews and previews on a7/7r, but I am (as well as a few friends here in Yerevan) eagerly and impatiently waiting for DK's report and review.
Hope it will not take long...
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
bfitzgerald

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

There are some RX-10 reviews around:
http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/re ... x10-review
http://www.techradar.com/reviews/camera ... 945/review
http://www.imaging-resource.com/camera- ... sony/rx10/

I think I agree with AP I'm sure it's a very nice camera, but I can't see it working at this price, if it dropped down a good few hundred ££ it might have a shot.
And I also agree with AP that you can get an APS-C camera and 18-135mm lens for quite a bit less, granted it's not f2.8, but then the 1" sensor is quite a bit smaller than APS-C aka DOF control etc.

Had Sony gone with a more reasonable price, and an APS-C sensor I might have been interested
classiccameras
Viceroy

Unread post by classiccameras »

I agree Barry and with AP, i'm still waiting for a Bridge camera with an APS-C sensor, even a 4/3 sensor, that surely would be a winner if it was the same price as a lower/mid range DSLR.

A merry Christmas