New Olympus E-M1 body for 4/3 and m4/3 lenses

For all talk about digital compacts or EVF-SLRs in the Minolta, Konica Minolta or relevant Sony ranges
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Re: New Olympus E-M1 body for 4/3 and m4/3 lenses

Unread post by bakubo »

Just in the last few days there have been lots of new articles about the E-M1. I guess people are trying to get things done before the new year.

http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.co ... -2013.html
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Great story on the ice Henry!

The EM1 has certainly turned quite a few heads - it does look a very nice camera. The Camera Store had a nice review up of it I seem to remember.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

bakubo wrote:Here is the stuck ship. I don't know if the photo was shot with an E-M1. :lol:
antarctic_ship.jpg
Great DOF so it could well have been with an E-M1 or an E-M5, I see the ship has had a bit of a name change since getting stuck. Have you noticed there is always something sort of forlorn about a ship stuck in pack ice?
Greg
Ps well it’s 2014 here now, it should be an interesting year for the photographic industry.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Greg Beetham wrote: You know what it’s like there are just moaners no matter what, like here where some moan about Sony even though they make such faultless cameras.
But anyway the E-M1 seems to take pretty good photos and as long as all the main things work properly and the camera proves to be reliable it should sell well one would think and Olympus won’t go out of business (another rumour).
Yes, over the years I have had lots of digital and film cameras. As long as there are no defects then I am fine. I am not talking about preferences, I am talking about true faults. Over the last 40 years the only camera I have ever had that was defective was my A700. Even so, I liked it a lot in most other ways. I know going in about the features and other stuff so for that stuff I don't get upset when I get the camera and it is exactly as I knew it to be when I bought it.

By the way, I have been very busy scanning old slides/negatives for the last 3 months. I made a post about it here:

http://www.photoclubalpha.com/forum/vie ... 620#p85620
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

bakubo wrote:Here is the stuck ship. I don't know if the photo was shot with an E-M1. :lol:
antarctic_ship.jpg
(32.67 KiB) Downloaded 3370 times
I just heard that a Chinese helicopter was finally able to rescue 52 passengers and global warming scientists from the Russian ship that is still trapped in all that thick sea ice.
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

bakubo wrote: I just heard that a Chinese helicopter was finally able to rescue 52 passengers and global warming scientists from the Russian ship that is still trapped in all that thick sea ice.
I heard that the real problem was that they didn't buy enough carbon offset credits, so they had to turn off that dirty diesel engine powering the ship.

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

News update: The global warming scientists and other passengers were airlifted by Chinese helicopter to a Chinese ship. The Chinese ship now is also stuck in the ice.

Antarctic rescue ship now stuck in ice
The Chinese icebreaker which helped transport passengers away from a stranded Antarctic ship has itself become stuck in ice

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... n-ice.html
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

The passengers are on the Australian icebreaker actually, at least it’s still free at the moment, as far as I know. I read that its helicopters were at the Antarctic base at the time of the whole thing happening, the ship was going to the base from Australia at the time and diverted to the drama on the way, but not having the helicopters on board they had to rely on the Chinese one, it was lucky for the passengers that it was there. Now if they can just free the Chinese icebreaker, that at least would leave only one ship stuck in ice. :mrgreen:
Greg
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Forest needed to cover carbon footprint of icy rescue

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/artic ... d=11181470

The hapless Australasian Antarctic Expedition is finally homeward bound - and thousands of trees will have to be planted to offset the carbon footprint from the prolonged rescue effort.

:roll:
agorabasta
Viceroy

Unread post by agorabasta »

Henry,

The problem is, the more vegetation is there, the more carbon circulates in atmosphere. During its life cycle it accumulates carbon from air and soil, and upon its death releases that carbon back into the air. It's only in the polar areas that accumulated carbon may stay in the soil, but the polar areas are too slow to grow vegetation.

So the more trees - the more carbon gets in the air, and vice versa - the more carbon in the air, the more vegetation it may support. Means CO2 is good.

What is bad, though, is the water vapour. It's the most active greenhouse gas in our atmosphere. And the main suppliers of water vapours are the deserts - warm enough places with no vegetation. Those deserts may be natural, but the big cities are a typical example of man-made desert, as they do exactly the same - evaporate huge amounts of water into the air.

But the natural deserts may only grow if carbon dioxide content in our atmosphere stays low. The trees need more carbon to start regaining desert territories. And then they would contain water from direct evaporation from the soil.

All the above means that the well organised 'green' 'ecological' activism is the exact opposite of what it tries to impersonate.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Hmm the icebound Chinese icebreaker Snow-Dragon said earlier that it was ok and could move, and now it seems that it could be stuck again and the AMSA (they are the body responsible for maritime safety in the area) has apparently requested the US icebreaker Polar-Star http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2014 ... arctic-ice to see if it can help but it’s about a week away, meanwhile the Australian icebreaker Aurora-Australis is resuming what it was doing before acquiring a new bunch of passengers, supplying the Casey station, and not going to risk taking the passengers back into the ice in an attempt to free the Snow Dragon it seems.
NBC seems to have trouble getting their facts straight, announcing the passengers were on the Snow Dragon was not quite on the money.
Maybe in future the ship industry could do what the car designers are doing, build a battery powered ice breaker, they could put a couple of thousand tons of lithium batteries in it and put solar panels and wind turbines all over it, there’s not much solar light down there but plenty of wind so it could work, as long as that pesky global warming doesn’t freeze the wind turbines over that is, they recently discovered the coldest place on Earth not far from there, minus 93.3⁰C which is up from a couple of years ago where it was -93.8⁰C that would indicate the globe is definitely heating up.
Anyway if the Russian icebreaker is crushed by the ice and lost how many trees would they have to plant if they had to replace it? You can’t make steel using battery power, wind turbine power or solar energy, you need a base load or coal fired furnace to make steel.
And another little puzzle that I’ve always marveled at is how do those green battery powered cars get the amps to recharge all those batteries, they aren’t plugging them into the nasty old carbon polluting electric grid…are they? I read that they were going to have recharging stations dotted around the place like we have gas stations now but they didn’t say where those were going to draw their power from.
Greg
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

It is looking like an E-M10 is about to be announced very soon. Lots of rumors, of course, but no info about price yet. Someone on another forum posted this morning:

http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-olympus-e-m ... -in-flash/
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Of course, no one knows, but lots of people think the recent Stylus 1 that has the small sensor, but looks like an m4/3 body, will be what the E-M10 is going to look like (without the built-in lens, of course). When I first saw the photos of the Stylus 1 last month I also thought the body would be a natural for an m4/3 body. Looks like the ergonomics are a bit better on it than the E-M5, but not bigger like the E-M1.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Here is a nice size comparison of the E-M5 and the new E-M10 (supposed to be announced on 1/29):

http://www.43rumors.com/e-m5-vs-e-m10-s ... n-by-toor/

It is only a front view, but the E-M10 is a fair amount smaller than the E-M5. It must be almost tiny. Supposedly the ergonomics are a bit better than the E-M5, but I haven't seen the back and top yet. People who have held the Stylus 1 say it is better than the E-M5 and the E-M10 will probably be more like that. Find out in a few days.
classiccameras
Viceroy

Unread post by classiccameras »

Interesting rumour, it looks like Olympus are following their old OM SLR legacy from the OM-10 which was a budget version of the OM-series, and it out sold all other models. The rumoured E-M10 will I hope be a good deal more affordable.

Many members on the 4/3 user forum have been asking for a cheaper version of the E-M5 so hopefully it will be just that, a budget version.