Sony 7r

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Mark K
Grand Caliph

Re: Sony 7r

Unread post by Mark K »

It is very sad to know Alpha mount dSLRs have lost their third place in Japan, no not too. I stopped buying their dSLRs after A77, a camera giving me too much noise. On the other hand, I bought an Nex 5n, 5r, 6 and 3n in 2013 simply for me to bring my gear down under water with the launch of some better e mount lenses. I also bought A7 which I sold a few days back.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

classiccameras wrote:Olympus did this by dropping 4/3 and only producing M/4/3 with a dreadful take it or leave it attitude, to add salt in the wound, Olympus only offered a very expensive OM-D E-M5 with no budget model available and then said if you want to use your 4/3 lenses, the adaptor is over £200.
Here may be your chance to get that more affordable price you have been wanting:

Over new 300 refurbished cameras/lenses to buy in Europe

http://www.43rumors.com/over-new-300-re ... in-europe/
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Gosh - £300 for an EM5 with kit lens! :shock: . I am almost tempted at that price (.... must not buy more cameras, must not buy more cameras, ...).
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Birma wrote:Gosh - £300 for an EM5 with kit lens! :shock: . I am almost tempted at that price (.... must not buy more cameras, must not buy more cameras, ...).
Yeah, those prices look pretty good. I just clicked on one of the links for an E-M5 body and it is 204 euros. Excellent price, I think.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

I’m not sure I like the implications of this ‘refurbish’ deal, what’s the point of splashing a whole bunch of cheap almost new late model (overstocked, demos, returned?) out on the market, it only takes sales away from getting new price for new ones, I suppose the ‘refurbished’ ones don’t have new warranty though. I can’t see what’s in it for Oly except to test the waters and find out the price the buyers are willing to bid up to.
Hmmm I see they are bidding quite a bit, about the fifth one down is listed as sold now for $968 USD (26bids) so it is getting some stock moving, I’m not sure how happy they will be with the results though.
Greg
Ps what’s the deal with the ‘prism’ housing on the E-M5? I never took a lot of notice before but there is a strange aspect to the whole design, sort of transformer style with various bits and pieces, are those items necessary? Why not just make it all one piece? After all it only has to support the hot-shoe, the diopter and the EVF…and that could be done with one one-piece housing…surely?
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by mikeriach »

Birma wrote:Gosh - £300 for an EM5 with kit lens! :shock: . I am almost tempted at that price (.... must not buy more cameras, must not buy more cameras, ...).
Birma,

Tuck the money away in the piggy bank, I'm sure something even better will appear.
How you getting on with the 70-400?

Mike
All my Sony SLT gear gone. Still got my RX100 though.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Olympus did a trade-in deal on the E-M1 giving money back for E-M5 bodies - they may be refurbed, but actually they are s/h.

David
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

David Kilpatrick wrote:Olympus did a trade-in deal on the E-M1 giving money back for E-M5 bodies - they may be refurbed, but actually they are s/h.
That is reassuring. A refurb almost always has been previously owned, but often the ones returned had some problem that the company fixed and then is reselling. As David points out, these in this batch were just trade-ins to get the new model, not returns because of problems. Although there is a chance a few had some sort of problem that was fixed, most probably were fine and just were cleaned up, checked, adjusted, new firmware installed, etc. and are not prior problem cameras. In fact, most people if they had a problem with the E-M5 would not then go out and spend lots of money for the more expensive E-M1. It isn't often that you have the chance to get a refurb at a good price with somewhat more assurance that it wasn't an earlier problem camera.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

mikeriach wrote:
Birma,

Tuck the money away in the piggy bank, I'm sure something even better will appear.
How you getting on with the 70-400?

Mike
Good advice Mike :). I'm saving up off the STF , hopefully before the orchids arrive. I really like the 70-400 although I'm perhaps not a typical user, it has mainly been pointed at scenery so far and hardly come out of MF. I'm getting used to the shock of picking it up :) .
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

I saw this new article this morning. I just skimmed through it, but I know that some people here are using the A7 and A7r so will probably be interested.

Using third-party lenses on the Sony a7 / a7R

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/601839 ... ony-a7-a7r
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

bakubo wrote:I saw this new article this morning. I just skimmed through it, but I know that some people here are using the A7 and A7r so will probably be interested.

Using third-party lenses on the Sony a7 / a7R

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/601839 ... ony-a7-a7r
No, not really interesting, since the reviewer shown a narrow point of view and lack of willing to adapt to a new (for him) camera/system
"Obviously, comments about design and control layout are inevitably going to be to some degree subjective, but when using third-party lenses I have found one main pain-point that I suspect will be universal. Once magnified focus is activated using the C1 or C2 button, the slightest brush of the shutter button is enough to cancel the magnified view."
Really? can't you be more careful with your fingers?
;-/
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by peterottaway »

But at least the article confirms that DPR is incapable of overcoming their natural bias against Sony product. When they are so upfront about it then no one will be surprised when they publish their opinion piece as their "review" of the A7r.

It also reflects I think increasing concern in some quarters that Sony is becoming a danger to their perceived natural order of things. It has been interesting looking at the subtext to the commentary some have been running on LL as well.
artington
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by artington »

I feel that dpr is rather irrelevant these days. When digital cameras were in their infancy it undoubtedly had a place but the formulaic approach is out of date IMO and this latest piece makes me think about Nigel Lawson's coment about "teenage scribblers". I have an a7 and it is the best camera i have used with alt lenses although I shoukd say that in this regard my experience otherwise (apart from with the original film slrs) has only been with the NEX range and with Canon DSLRs (with MF screens). Not all alt lenses are good with it - RF wider than 35-40 have problens with colour banding and corner smearing in the main - but plenty, particularly manual slr lenses, work very well, certainly for me. And I'm not interested in what Barney Britton thinks about focus peaking because, for me, the focus magnification facility is brilliant on its own. The a7 is by no means perfect but it is pretty damn good. And the evf is spectacular and at last makes ovf redundant.
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by peterottaway »

I know that a lot of people have been trying out whole collections of older MF lenses but I have to admit to being more interested in more modern lenses. I have dutifully purchased adapters to use my Minolta MD, Contax and Olympus lenses but I suspect I will be using the Nikon F / G adapter more of the time.

My Nikon kit is diminished over what it once was and the last camera I purchased was the D700, but I do have a number of primes including the AF-S 28 / 1.8, AF-S 60 / 2.8, AF-S 85 / 1.8 and the AF 180/ 2.8. There have been complaints about the expense of the native FE lenses or the size and cost of using the A mount lenses on the A7 / A7r but these Nikons are definitely a good fit. If the newly announced AF - S 35 / 1.8 turns out to be a decent lens then that will be my next purchase. The newish Sigma 35 / 1.4 probably wouldn't be that much more expensive but to me it's not what I want for my A7r.

I'm not saying I won't be using my older lenses such as my Contax 18 / 4.0, Olympus 24 / 2.8 or Minolta 28 / 2.8 etc. Should they perform well then that's a bonus.
artington
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by artington »

Two old MF lenses which I have found work extremely well on the a7 are the Minolta MD 35-70/3.5 macro (the best variant of this lens) and the Canon FDn L 80-200/4. Both are small for their zoom ranges. I have been astounded by the sharpness of the latter, even when wide open.