Chinese adaptors - warning shot!

For all talk about digital compacts or EVF-SLRs in the Minolta, Konica Minolta or relevant Sony ranges
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Chinese adaptors - warning shot!

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Testing the Samyang 24mm tilt-shift lens on the A7R via a cheap Nikon fit adaptor, I noticed that my bright computer screen on my left side appeared to be causing flare across the shot.

Sure enough, the adaptor is not light-tight. It has a hole.
nikon-g-adaptor.jpg
nikon-g-adaptor.jpg (113.61 KiB) Viewed 7450 times
I think I can fix this with modelling clay, but really, it's something to look out for....

David
Birma
Tower of Babel

Re: Chinese adaptors - warning shot!

Unread post by Birma »

Ouch! That is a bit a howler DK. Definitely one to be warned about. The first MD to. Nex adapter I bought was a cheaply eBay job and it inspired little confidence as it had a lot of movement. I next purchased a Fotodiox one; it cost nearly as much as the lenses but a completely different level of engineering - a great fit.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

David, did you experience any kind of light leakage with your a7r?
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

I've been lucky. I have bought 3 cheap adapters and all 3 were perfect. That one you got is horrible though. All mine are for m4/3 though.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

I've sealed this one with black modelling compound I have owned for maybe 25 years... in my studio (used to support products on small black bases). I have bought one helical Leica adaptor (for closer focusing) from Cam2UK on eBay - would not infinity focus, returned for credit in December, still not refunded - do not deal with this seller under any circumstances they are not really in the UK and don't respond properly to communication.

For Leica M I found an affordable s/h Novoflex adaptor and I would only advise Kipon, Metabones, Novoflex, Voigtlander or similar adaptors .

Been out on Sunday trying to find some decent light and a modern architectural subject - seems the south of England/Midlands has had wonderful weather but we've had very poor cloudy light in Scotland and it was a wasted afternoon. I also realise just how little decent new building has happened in the last five years here. I had not really understood what an impoverished period this has been. All the interesting civic or public architecture dates back 10, 15, 20, 25 years. I was prevented from photographing Cameron Toll shopping mall in Edinburgh by a security guard, nice enough guy, chatted for a bit but his brief is stop all photography even of the exterior of the building from the car park.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

The only thing that occurs to me is that filling the gap with some goo is going to make the operation of what looks like a release tab spring compression area more difficult perhaps. There should be a remaining metal wall on the inside, they just machined a slot right across when they made the spring/tab recess.
Greg
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

This modelling compound is very hard and I've made a thin wall which seals all light, looks more or less like the metal, and does not impede the lock.