RX10 looks interesting

For all talk about digital compacts or EVF-SLRs in the Minolta, Konica Minolta or relevant Sony ranges
hrstrat57-RI
Acolyte

Re: RX10 looks interesting

Unread post by hrstrat57-RI »

RX10 is absolutely the bees knees, a killer piece of kit IMHO! I loved the test drive I took with it!

Had it been just a smidge cheaper might have kept me away from my new NEX-6 EA2 combo.

I was primarily seeking a camera that took good video but the high price and my addiction to changing lenses got the better of me. I have too many pieces of glass to leave them laying around.....
Let's go while we're young//NEX 6,A700x2 w/vg,A100//Maxxum 100 2.8m,200 2.8,50 1.7,28 2.8,28-85,35-105,24-105D,100-200,70-210/4//Sony 35 1.8, 18-55//Sigma 400 5.6//M42: Asanuma 135 2.8,Pentax Takumar 55 2,135 3.5
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

The price has already dropped about £200 odd (since launch) no doubt it will drop even more over time.
I could see it picking up sales wise if they lower the price some more

It was never realistic to launch a £1000 odd bridge camera, it's just not going to sell at that price
Yes the images do look good that I've seen, but for the asking price I would expect nothing less!
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

In the last few days I have visited several of the camera stores in Tokyo. Played with all the new stuff that has come out in the last year. I played for a few minutes with the RX10 yesterday. That electronic zoom is maddenly slow. Slower than most electronic zooms I have seen on digicams. It is a big, heavy lens though. Maybe the slow zooming is best for video, but for stills and the way I shoot I would end up throwing it against a brick wall at some point. I certainly came close to doing that to my defective A700 dozens of times. :lol: If the zoom motor has the necessary power then having a faster zoom mode would be great.
bfitzgerald

I've not had an RX10 hands on so can't comment (if I see one I'll try it but so far I've not seen any around)
Power zoom sucks, it always has and always will.
Some are more sucky than others though (from the bridge models I've used) it's probably slow for video use. But as we mostly shoot stills do we want slow?

That's why I'd only consider a mechanical zoom for a bridge model (like the XS-1 sadly though it has the crappy focus by wire)
I wouldn't entertain power zoom or power focus for a system camera (so there goes all the mirrorless models out the window)

I see Sony have a power zoom 28-135mm f4 under development.

It's like this, I play around a bit with video (to date nothing serious) my line is simply this. You cannot make a one fits all system/device/lenses that meet the needs of of stills and video shooters properly, because we have different needs.
That's why I hate power focus/zoom so much, it's at best a very poor solution for stills shooters. At worst it makes a huge meal out of something that should be simple

If camera makers continue to put the needs of stills shooters below video ones then I'd rather sell the whole heap of stuff I have off.. go back to basics big time and buy a Voigtländer, a few very good lenses and a ton of film and shoot like that. Simple no messing around..no gimmicks just me the camera/lens and the image

I miss the simplicity of photography at times
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by peterottaway »

I have both a Voigtlander film camera ( gathering dust ) and the RX 10 which I use most days. I.m not going to tell you what you should do, I just now what I have done.
classiccameras
Viceroy

Unread post by classiccameras »

Camera manufacturers putting video ahead of stills is what most of the adverts are now about, Sony being the worst offender, especially as most reviews put the SLT cameras as the best vid units on the market.

On another forum site a Canon 700D owner had complained that his 700D sensor over heated after long spells of video work. I'm almost in tears as I cannot see why some one would buy a 700D with video as their main interest. If it was me I would get a high end cam corder. I blame all camera makers for making their cameras multi purpose, jack of all trades, but master of none!
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

I played with an RX10 again today. The electronic zoom in addition to be very slow also has a lot of lag. Probably it is intentional to make video zoom smoother. Sucks for stills though. I played with several digicams with electronic zoom (Olympus Stylus 1, etc.) and the zoom on all were pretty fast and without lag. My Canon G15 and S95 zooms are also okay.

Barry, played with your new Fuji XS-1. Feels nice in the hands and great mechanical zoom. Quite a large camera though for a small sensor. Interesting rubber covering.
bfitzgerald

The XS-1 is pretty lumpy (it's mid sized DSLR and with some weight) I don't really mind that's all you would need to take with you, a small bag and spare battery so it's not a bad travel option. I never use the hood though (it's metal and useful I just rarely use hoods ever, bar the beercan which really needs it)

Would have gone with an X10, or X20 but the deal was too good to pass on!
I quite like the "rubber finish" it's unusual. I'll be making a real effort to get out and use it properly in the next few weeks
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Yes, the XS-1 seemed nicely made. Zoom worked nice.

I arrived in Istanbul last night. About to go get some breakfast. After a week in Japan I had just about gotten over the jet lag, but now I am back square one. :lol:
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

bakubo wrote:Yes, the XS-1 seemed nicely made. Zoom worked nice.

I arrived in Istanbul last night. About to go get some breakfast. After a week in Japan I had just about gotten over the jet lag, but now I am back square one. :lol:
Well, look up Yildiz and tell her we all said hello!

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

+1 :)
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Unfortunately Yildiz is away from Istanbul visiting her family for awhile. It seems unlikely we will be able to meet unless she is back when I return to Istanbul in a few weeks.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

That is a shame, Henry. You'll have to do your best to (virtually) show us around the place on your own :)
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Yeah, I will try to do that. :) Been doing lots of walking around and have taken some photos. Only third day though so over the next few weeks I hope to get some good ones.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Here is a pretty good comparison of the RX10 and new Panasonic FZ1000 (3 pages long):

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/panaso ... c-fz1000/6

A comment says it appears they use the same sensor.

Note that in the photo comparisons jpegs are used. A comment embedded in that section says that when shooting raw they are much the same and much better, as expected.

I didn't see anything mentioned about the slow zooming of the RX10 and whether the FZ1000 has the same very annoying characteristic, but there is this comment about the FX1000:

Performance is blazing fast, for both autofocus and overall operation.

Probably that means that the zoom control also is much faster.

The Sony has a 24-200mm f2.8 lens and the Panasonic has a 25-400mm f2.8-4 lens. There wasn't anything that said what the Panasonic's aperture is at 200mm. Probably around f3.5.

Anyway, as usual, they each have their stronger and weaker points.