Townsville makes its 15 minutes of fame on UK television

Anything else you want to get off your chest or any public chat you want to continue away from a main topic
Birma
Tower of Babel

Townsville makes its 15 minutes of fame on UK television

Unread post by Birma »

There is a long running TV programme in the UK called Coast. Each episode visits a piece of coast line and examines the geography, geology, history, flora and fauna of the area. It has pretty much done the UK and they are now visiting other countries. In the latest series they are visiting Australia and I was pleased to see a bit of our own Greg's Townsville in tonight's episode :) .

It looked sunny and hot, of course. Oh, and the sea is full of box jelly fish in the summer apparently ;) . I don't think the BBC iPlayer works abroad, but just in case ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... rrier-reef
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Re: Townsville makes its 15 minutes of fame on UK television

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Hi Birma, I have watched some of those coast shows and they were quite interesting, you are correct about watching the show via the link, you are blocked via IP address ID if you are outside the UK, something about ‘rights’ it doesn’t matter I probably would be bored watching a show about Townsville although I wouldn’t mind seeing if it’s accurate just the same.

Yes the jellyfish are a problem in the ocean, but they don’t worry me as I never go in there, I’m a firm believer that things that live in the ocean belong in the ocean and those that don’t should abstain from going there, on it yes, in it no.

Sometimes in the summer you have to be careful fishing too, you can get tentacles in the bait net, they snap off, and you can’t see them either, I’ve had that happen to me a couple of times, gives one a bit of a start when those get on your hands, they burn, on the back of the hands that is, can’t feel em on the palm so much.

Sea turtles eat them apparently, that’s why the turtles eat plastic bags too they think it’s a jellyfish and die from doing it, oh well less turtles = more jellyfish = more humans being stung and killed so there’s a kind of poetic justice in there somewhere I guess.

Crocodiles eat turtles too so I suppose humans aren’t responsible for all of the turtles that are killed, and just too balance things out crocodiles eat humans as well.
Greg
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

There are ways round that Greg you can use software to neat that. I think it's quite absurd as an overseas UK citizen usage rights yeah right!
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Birma, did they mention in that episode on Townsville about Greg's Birthday?
I guess they did, and if they omitted, than the hell with them.
So, Greg, have a good one with a wish of many many happy and healthy returns.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Aw shucks thanks Doc. :D
Greg
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

I don't know how Doc, but they missed that! I will write and complain that they missed the really famous bits of Townsville ;)
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.