Exhibit Portrait shots

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
UrsaMajor
Imperial Ambassador

Re: Exhibit Portrait shots

Unread post by UrsaMajor »

Here is an image of my daughter-in-law that I took last week, on the 4th of July. By chance, the occasion was that we had gathered the entire family together for multi-generational group photos by a professional photographer. This is one of the images that I shot while we were there.

- Tom -
Attachments
Family photo-605612.jpg
Shot with my NEX-6 and Minolta 28-75mm f:2.8 lens
(252.38 KiB) Downloaded 2078 times
sury
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by sury »

That is a beautiful shot of a beautiful person. I love the portrait with candid like
attributes (her hair on face) which makes it a keeper.

Sury
Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
the_hefay
Viceroy

Unread post by the_hefay »

Tom, that's a great portrait you took there. I really like the lighting on her face.
mvanrheenen wrote:I agree with sury. The lack of contrast and the white haze do a lot for the atmosphere in the shot. I don't know which emotion you wanted to depict, but I sense a bit of despair and loneliness in it. This could be enhanced if the composition showed a bit wider angle with more of the open sea/empty beach in it. It's no critique, just my 2 centa, for what they are worth.

Well, I don't like this shot as well, but it does have the wider angle.
Attachments
Northwest Trip-066 Lightroom-2 1024.jpg
foggy beach
(113.92 KiB) Downloaded 2062 times
sury

Unread post by sury »

the_hefay, I (think I) see why you may not like the shot. A typical one would have had
nice shades of blue/green for water, even some surf and waves, nice sky with pillowy
clouds rending the landscape beautiful.

I like the shot because the focus is on person and yet you cannot "ignore" the background.
It is not typical and with my feeble knowledge about photography I know I cannot pull it off.
It is high key without being high key is the best way I can describe.

I think Mark is right. Between the two you did not like, I like this one better as I keep going
from left to right to expect to see something on right.

Sury
mvanrheenen

Unread post by mvanrheenen »

Personally I think this one does give you that sense of emptiness and loneliness. The toning and flat colors support it nicely.

Mark
the_hefay
Viceroy

Unread post by the_hefay »

thanks guys.
Kalainen
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Kalainen »

the_hefay wrote:From a scanned negative.
Great shot! This one has a bit of a surreal mood in it.

-Toni

--
Toni Ahvenainen (1976)
Year of the Alpha - 52 Weeks of Sony Alpha Photography: http://www.yearofthealpha.com
Flickr-account: http://www.flickr.com/photos/109262328@N06/
Kalainen
Grand Caliph

UrsaMajor wrote:Here is an image of my daughter-in-law that I took last week, on the 4th of July. By chance, the occasion was that we had gathered the entire family together for multi-generational group photos by a professional photographer. This is one of the images that I shot while we were there.

- Tom -
Great picture with a classic portrait look in fine soft light. I would say this one is a work of a talented photographer, if not even pro one. Good job! :-)

-Toni

--
Toni Ahvenainen (1976)
Year of the Alpha - 52 Weeks of Sony Alpha Photography: http://www.yearofthealpha.com
UrsaMajor
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by UrsaMajor »

Kalainen wrote:
UrsaMajor wrote:Here is an image of my daughter-in-law that I took last week, on the 4th of July. By chance, the occasion was that we had gathered the entire family together for multi-generational group photos by a professional photographer. This is one of the images that I shot while we were there.

- Tom -
Great picture with a classic portrait look in fine soft light. I would say this one is a work of a talented photographer, if not even pro one. Good job! :-)

-Toni
Thank you for the kind remarks. I cannot claim much of the credit for the image, except for recognizing the opportunity when it appeared, and setting the lens ( a Minolta 28-75mm f:2.8 ) at f:4.0 with the intention of throwing the background out of focus. The light was what was available where we were standing in the shade of trees while waiting for group shots to be taken of my daughter's family, after they had been taken of all of us, and then of my son's family by themselves.

Speaking of which, here is an image that I caught of my son's family while they were posing for the photographer we had hired. I'm not happy with the background distraction, but I had to shoot from the side to avoid getting in the way. It was also taken with my NEX-6, with the Minolta 28-75mm f:2.8 lens, set at 75mm and f:4.0.

- Tom -
Attachments
Family photo-605558.jpg
(236.11 KiB) Downloaded 2015 times
sury

Unread post by sury »

The background is not that distracting to me Tom. It is kind of providing a framework
of a playground with the slide on lower left. I would think it would have been a distraction
without the slide. I was drawn to the people in the image.

Sury
mikehawthorne
Grand Caliph

Unread post by mikehawthorne »

i like the older man portrait (the first one ) he has a bit of a up and down life shows in his face, i love the ageing look.
such a refreshing change from those plastic faced people/celebs shots in magazines these days.

mike hawthorne
Kalainen
Grand Caliph

UrsaMajor wrote:
Kalainen wrote:

- Tom -

-Toni
Thank you for the kind remarks. I cannot claim much of the credit for the image, except for recognizing the opportunity when it appeared, and setting the lens ( a Minolta 28-75mm f:2.8 ) at f:4.0 with the intention of throwing the background out of focus. The light was what was available where we were standing in the shade of trees while waiting for group shots to be taken of my daughter's family, after they had been taken of all of us, and then of my son's family by themselves.
You had it in your backbone! I'm sure a lot of great pictures are made with a help of randomly good circumstances. You just need to recognize when light is good - as it sounds in your case. :-)

-Toni

--
Toni Ahvenainen (1976)
Juanito200
Viceroy

Unread post by Juanito200 »

Nice work everyone.. I don't do too much portrait work, but here are a couple from me...
The first is from a few years ago in New Braunfels TX, at Wurstfest.
ImageWurstfest Wink by JohnLeBlancII, on Flickr

And one of Ian from last year.. Sadly, the phone didn't work.. Ian and Emma never knew the joy of sticking your finger into the coin return slot in a payphone and finding a bit of cash!
ImageOld School by JohnLeBlancII, on Flickr
If the last thing you remember hearing is somebody yelling 'CLEAR!!!', assume you've had a problem!!
a77, a700, a200, Minolta 8000i, NEX C3, NEX 5N and more lenses than my wife suspects!
sury

Unread post by sury »

Very nice shots John. Both of them are equally appealing.
One thing that bothered me a tad is the reflection in the spectacles
of Ian specifically the left eye.

Sury
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Nice ones John. I especially like the phone booth one - they were once so important and now ... well it is always good to have a plan B!
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.