Landscape 2014

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Juanito200
Viceroy

Re: Landscape 2014

Unread post by Juanito200 »

Great shot Hefay! The full moon makes it look like daytime, until you see the star trails..

I've brought my intervalometer almost every time I've been to Big Bend, but I've been thwarted by the clouds that often roll in around the evening each time. :(
If the last thing you remember hearing is somebody yelling 'CLEAR!!!', assume you've had a problem!!
a77, a700, a200, Minolta 8000i, NEX C3, NEX 5N and more lenses than my wife suspects!
the_hefay
Viceroy

Unread post by the_hefay »

Thanks John. I had my inervalometer in the car and didn't think about it until I had made it to the falls.

Here's a smoky/hazy sunset from last night. The barley harvest is pretty much over and there's a lot of chaff and dust hanging around along with the smoke from some of the farmers that burn their barley fields after the harvest. The only plus is that sunsets tend be a little redder.
Attachments
_DSC3011 Lightroom-2 1024.jpg
Barley sunset
(128.7 KiB) Downloaded 1774 times
_DSC3024 Lightroom 1024.jpg
Barley sunset 2
(91.59 KiB) Downloaded 1774 times
sury
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by sury »

Great shots the_hefay, especially the first one....

Sury
Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
Juanito200
Viceroy

Unread post by Juanito200 »

Lovely shots Hefay!
If the last thing you remember hearing is somebody yelling 'CLEAR!!!', assume you've had a problem!!
a77, a700, a200, Minolta 8000i, NEX C3, NEX 5N and more lenses than my wife suspects!
the_hefay
Viceroy

Thanks guys.
the_hefay
Viceroy

It seems like every week, I learn a little bit more about post-processing. I messed around with the waterfall picture to try and create more of a night feel to the shot. I also made a black and white. Just curious what you guys think. I'm always open to suggestions, criticisms, etc.
Attachments
_DSC3001 Lightroom-2 1024.jpg
reality
(329.13 KiB) Downloaded 1754 times
_DSC3001 Lightroom-5 1024.jpg
B&W
(339.98 KiB) Downloaded 1754 times
Kalainen
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Kalainen »

the_hefay wrote:Thanks John. I had my inervalometer in the car and didn't think about it until I had made it to the falls.

Here's a smoky/hazy sunset from last night. The barley harvest is pretty much over and there's a lot of chaff and dust hanging around along with the smoke from some of the farmers that burn their barley fields after the harvest. The only plus is that sunsets tend be a little redder.
Lovely hazy shots with superb colors! The first on is defineatly a winner!!

-Toni

--
Toni Ahvenainen (1976)
Year of the Alpha - 52 Weeks of Sony Alpha Photography: http://www.yearofthealpha.com
Flickr-account: http://www.flickr.com/photos/109262328@N06/
Kalainen
Grand Caliph

the_hefay wrote:It seems like every week, I learn a little bit more about post-processing. I messed around with the waterfall picture to try and create more of a night feel to the shot. I also made a black and white. Just curious what you guys think. I'm always open to suggestions, criticisms, etc.
The way I see it, these are little too bright for the night shot. The stream is nice, but the real eye catcher are star trails, imho. I would try to darken the foreground and stream a lot and bring star trails more upfront. I don't know, night shots are difficult because camera sees different things than us. Just my personal thoughts, other may think otherwise..

-Toni

--
Toni Ahvenainen (1976)
Year of the Alpha - 52 Weeks of Sony Alpha Photography: http://www.yearofthealpha.com
the_hefay
Viceroy

Kalainen wrote:The way I see it, these are little too bright for the night shot. The stream is nice, but the real eye catcher are star trails, imho. I would try to darken the foreground and stream a lot and bring star trails more upfront. I don't know, night shots are difficult because camera sees different things than us. Just my personal thoughts, other may think otherwise..

Thanks for the input, I see what you mean.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Love those red sunsets The Hefay. I prefer the B&W falls I think.

Here are a couple of fields of crops from earlier in the summer. The first is a regular shot of a wheat field, with some handy poppies growing at the field's edge.

Image2014 Broadway - Wheat Field (Classic Landscape) by Birm, on Flickr

A shallow depth of field picture of a field of barley. I love the long hairs on the ears of the barley and this allowed me to emphasise this part of the shot, and then just concentrate on the overall colour.

Image2014 Broadway - Barley Field (Shallow DoF) by Birm, on Flickr

Both A99, the first with Sigma 12-24 and the second with the Sony 135 STF.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
Kalainen
Grand Caliph

Great as usual Birm! I lke the place that you've chosen in the first one, in a vale (or glen, dale, dell, sag, slack? -difficult to choose right word from dictionary for a non-native). Second one is nice as well, but a bit too shallow dof (for my taste). I like the idea and how the colors/details blend into mass, but it's difficult to find focus for eye.

-Toni

--
Toni Ahvenainen (1976)
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Thank you Toni :) . I think 'valley' would be the term I used, although vale is fine too. It is difficult even within the uk as different regions have their own terms; dales in parts of the north of England, glens in Scotland, etc.

I appreciate the feedback on the dof and the point is well made, I will bear this in mind.
Ossie
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Ossie »

One from the New Forest National Park.
Which-way-now.jpg
A77v + Tokina 11-16mm
(490.88 KiB) Downloaded 1694 times
Ossie
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Love the sky and purple heather, Ossie :) . Nice use of the 'lost' cyclists as well.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

From the field to the sea's edge. First of all of picture of the waves on the beach, in particular the water retreating after a wave has washed ashore.

Image2014 Cornwall - Seaweed Circles (Running Water) by Birm, on Flickr

Next a picture from a calm morning, with the sun diffused behind the clouds and the sea reflecting the otherwise blue sky.

Image2014 Cornwall - Morning Blues (Mostly One Colour) by Birm, on Flickr

Both with A99 and Sony 28-75/2.8