Scotland independence

Anything else you want to get off your chest or any public chat you want to continue away from a main topic
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Scotland independence

Unread post by bakubo »

I have been watching from afar the lead up to the vote. I have no dog in this fight so offer no opinions, but I am interested in what happens.

I am wondering though if the vote goes for independence how would that affect Scots living in the rest of the UK and non-Scots living in Scotland? I have experience with Canada and Japan and in those places (and most places in the world) non-citizens can only stay for short periods, can't work, etc. For longer periods, to work, and so on you need special permission in the form of special visas, residency cards, etc. Will non-Scots have to get something like this to stay in Scotland? And the reverse?
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: Scotland independence

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

I think we're all interested but honestly most people I talk to are frankly sick to death of it..
There was a reason the Romans built a big wall on the Scottish border ;-)

On a more serious note I think it won't work the SNP want their own country yet share the currency that is controlled by the Bank of England that alone is rather dubious. But it's up to the voters to decide on this I think it will do the entire country (UK) harm if they get a yes vote. At this stage it's too close to call but flag waving and chanting aside (from both sides) there are a lot of risks to this one big time. It would create a lot of red tape and problems in many ways.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Speaking of visas, right now I can go to the UK without a tourist visa. If Scotland goes independent will I need to get a tourist visa in advance? There is lots of variation of this and it depends on the country. Some countries I don't need a visa, some I need one but can get it at the airport when I arrive (for a fee, of course), and some I have to get it in advance.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

This is excellent. Just read it. I don't take any side on the vote, but I am interested in what happens. The writer of this article also takes no side, but gives some history and analysis for the Scotland case and others that are likely to come up in Europe. This is probably interesting for people who are watching from the outside and wondering what it is all about.

The Origins and Implications of the Scottish Referendum

http://www.stratfor.com/weekly/origins- ... referendum
Dr. Harout

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

We've been through this... mass propaganda favored for NO, while the people and the Nation itself replied with a YES.
We know how it works, we've been there.
After all, empires must end, period. And please don't argue, UK is still an empire, as the US is (non officially), and so is Russia...
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Dr. Harout

Scotland, I'm with you!

Flickr
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

bfitzgerald wrote: On a more serious note I think it won't work the SNP want their own country yet share the currency that is controlled by the Bank of England that alone is rather dubious.
Actually, at least 2 other countries - Panama and Columbia- have given up their own currencies for that of the SUD, and they have no input on our monetary powers. It could work.

My biggest question is whether or not I'll have to change by bookmarks to http://www.photoclubalpha.scott?

:P

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
bfitzgerald

Dr. Harout is off the mark here there is no empire it is more to do with a group of nations that are supposed to stick "together"
I for one value the input and cultural diversity that the country has, I could make a strong case for Cornwall or the Isle of Wight becoming an independent nation..but it would have few positive effects.

Splitting up a country is not my idea of fun if it happens the rest of the UK will turn their back on Scotland and that would be a disaster for everyone
Sorry but I can't stand this anti empire nonsense on any forum there is no empire it's long gone same as the Roman, Greek and Egyptian empires of late history is what it is, but I thought the idea of Europe was to work together (I consider myself pro european though it is not well organised)

Replacing one set of Westminster cronies with a bunch from Holyrood will benefit the people of Scotland about 0. Politics is what it is a game of fools
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

The voting has already started so results will be here soon, I think.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

BBC is reporting that the vote is 55% NO, 45% YES. It looks like the Scottish have decided they don't want independence. Maybe they will try again next year?
Dr. Harout

Barry, I feel sorry for this egocentric mentality.
Empires do exist! Not being aware of it, doesn't mean they are not there. I don't want to get into politics, I know what it is. I know what power and control means...
I really feel sorry for the real Scots, who are not "supposed to stick with anyone" because Barry "supposes" so. And I believe Pakistanis, Indians, Arabs, Britts, Spies, government agents had their cast in the votes... Oh yes, aliens should decide whether a Nation should stand on a definite position or not, oh yeah...
A non-Scot UK citizen of Asian/African origin residing in Scotland has all the arguments to vote against the independence, so that he could bring more of his "family" members there.
BTW, what is the percentage of Scots in Scotland?
I also know that there is no voting on earth which doesn't include falsifications (and those are always performed by the powerful side and not the rightful side).
Oh and BTW, there was recently a similar referendum somewhere else, with a definite YES, and yet your so called culturally diversified country doesn't accept it. Hmmm, no empires you say?

Dear Scots, loosing a battlefield doesn't mean loosing the war.

Flickr
bfitzgerald

Doc I am sorry to say but that doesn't fly with me separatism isn't the way forward esp not for Scotland I'm no flag waver and I do not accept it was not a fair vote (in the end not even that close) Nobody is less Ego based than me and I am not a die hard Union zealout either

There is no war the English are not the enemy of the people of Scotland we are friends and we work together and respect our cultural heritage and differences I want to see better democracy for ALL the people of the UK not just Scotland, not some crazed SNP politician again trying to grab power for himself all the money wasted on this could have been used for the people of the UK..but it was thrown to the ground and wasted on hype and spin in a two year campaign.

This has finally settled the issue for Scotland there cannot be future referendums after this long drawn out fiasco
I'm amazed you take such a hostile view of this battlefields are not here this isn't Imperial Rome you know there wasn't a 100 legions south of the border to crush the Scots had they voted Yes.