Photokina 2014

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: Photokina 2014

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

It can't be a "cash thing" I really can't see the problem in getting products out there to test. Could be the "cold shoulder" treatment I've never asked Sony for review stuff but plenty of bloggers do (I don't blog on camera stuff anyway but I know people who do and they get loaner stuff) the last encounter I had with Sony was not impolite but I was less than impressed with their customer support (though I managed to get compensated to a satisfactory level), but then Nikon and Pentax were pretty bad too seems a common trend.

I just use Sony as it's convenient and they don't make a lot of money out of me as I only usually buy bodies (at blow out prices most times). It's a place to put Minolta and Tamron lenses and that's it. I honestly don't think they really know their direction and I don't think they are clued into how to market their stuff properly. I have attended some trade shows in my region and Canikon were all over the place (and other makers including accessories etc not just the big names) Sony nowhere in sight not a whiff of them even a minor presence. Strange but there you go..

I know this stuff costs cash but Sony have deep wallets you'd think they would put some real effort into some of these shows I don't see a lot of advertising going on either
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

David Kilpatrick wrote:I've reached the end of this trail, I think, and while I will continue to pay the domains and space for Photoclubalpha and the forum, I can not continue to feed a brand which offers zero support (they are not even advertisers with any of our magazines unlike Canon, Olympus, Nikon, Sigma and many other companies - some of whom have not missed an issue for over a decade).
I am glad you are going to continue the site. If you are inclined to you could update the homepage and remove the emphasis on Sony so that it is clear that anyone using any kind of camera is welcome here. No need to change the photoclubalpha name.
bfitzgerald

The name might work for the site (alpha doesn't have to mean Sony only) but I can see DK's frustration you'd think Sony would be falling all over themselves to get stuff out (after all this is a captive audience and DK's reviews are in my view very good from a hands on perspective) apparently not. It's hard to work out what goes on honestly I just think they "don't get it"

I'm not sure how much time DK has for these reviews (doing the magazines and other stuff) I would still be fairly interested in reviews of other makers products (as I think many of us would)
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by mikeriach »

David, I'm sorry to hear that a long time independent supporter of Sony such as yourself can be simply ignored.
We all value your reviews, comments, advice which have guided us on our own paths with Sony and legacy A mount equipment.

After a 2 week trip with 2 friends both of whom are Nikon shooters, I was able to handle and try out their equipment. I liked the feel of the Nikon kit (D800, D7100 and the old D80 with a variety of Nikon lenses) and despite the various issues I know of from both this forum and others, It is still the alternative of choice for me if I ever defect but I need to tap up a Canon owner to get a view of equivalent Canon gear. I have to say that the D800 plus new 80-400 lens felt big and heavy compared to my A99 plus 70-400G but I preferred the handling and the lovely optical viewfinder. Hopefully over the coming weeks I will see some of the results and will be able to do a few side by side comparrisons. I certainly had quite a lot more blurry shots from camera shake compared to the Nikon but that could just be me and not the gear.

It's certainly given me some pause for thought.

Mike
All my Sony SLT gear gone. Still got my RX100 though.
bfitzgerald

Mike I have tried a few more Nikon's (in the last couple of months) not the FF ones though but they seemed to focus ok (from my usage of them extended use might be different though) honestly I may have been extremely unlucky (with the D90's and D7000's note you don't see major AF complaints about the 2 Sony's I have and I'm not one to sit on grumbles!) it is possible Nikon's QC went very much south due to that flooding problem. But I can't really say I'm keen to try them again there is a lot to like about Nikon good lens range (and some updated primes) and the flash system is quite excellent (very much so)

As they say though..once burnt..
I've even half considered looking at Pentax again but I think their attitude stinks (for me they entirely ignored the problem which I find unforgivable) so I won't be going there again.

Look for all of us worst case scenario is even if A mount goes RIP at some point do we really care what camera we have as long as we can shoot with something? Probably not
the_hefay
Viceroy

Unread post by the_hefay »

I don't have a lot of money in my camera gear compared to others on this forum. That being said, it's what my budget allows. I went Sony because I had a Minolta and 2 lenses. I sold the Minolta and one lens to subsidize the Sony a100 w/ kit lens. I've since sold both those lenses to subsidize more purchases including the a580 w/ kit lens which lens I later sold to subsidize another purchase. Basically, what I'm saying is that changing to Canon, Nikon, Pentax, etc. would be like starting over for me. I would have to sell all my gear and I don't really think I could get enough for it to purchase more than a camera and one or two lenses unless I went used. I'm a very small consumer in the whole scheme of things, but it's just disheartening to see the system I happened to choose being euthanized through forced starvation. I suppose I just need to get a little jar and start throwing money into it everytime I feel like purchasing any photography related item. As soon as it's full, sell out my current alpha gear and jump into something else that might continue to be supported, whatever that might be, until I pass on. :roll:
ValeryD
Viceroy

Unread post by ValeryD »

I been kinda busy, finally read Dave's post...
Very sad and same time understandable. Sony start slowly dropping the A mount cameras and support for it too. I just had very hard time to get replacement the mirror for my new a77-II. It's unbelievable, how bad Sony support in Canada.
Some people talking about what can be done by Sony lenses for A mount?
I need new 16-80 or 16-105 Zeiss with SSL motor for A mount as Sony E mount has
E Mount : 16-70mm f/4.
In other case It's true, for my work I have to buy new FF system as Canon or Nikon... So sad...
And one more think. Dave please keep this site works. It's very nice and friendly forum.
PS. Sorry for my broken english.
Everything in the life unusual!