Happy Birthday, Henry!

Anything else you want to get off your chest or any public chat you want to continue away from a main topic
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Happy Birthday, Henry!

Unread post by Dusty »

Hope it's a great one!

Every one fell free to join in!

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Re: Happy Birthday, Henry!

Unread post by bakubo »

Thanks, Dusty! My birthday was yesterday here in Japan. My wife and I flew to Okinawa yesterday and we will stay here a month. Short-sleeve shirt weather here so that is very nice! First time to Okinawa! I am still working on my Thailand photos, but I brought my computer with me and will finish them while here.

I found this interesting article from 1987:

THE BLOODIEST BATTLE OF ALL

http://www.nytimes.com/1987/06/14/magaz ... f-all.html

ON OKINAWA TODAY, Flag Day will be observed with an extraordinary ceremony: two groups of elderly men, one Japanese, the other American, will gather for a solemn rite. They could scarcely have less in common.

Their motives are mirror images; each group honors the memory of men who tried to slay the men honored by those opposite them. But theirs is a common grief. After 42 years the ache is still there. They are really united by death, the one great victor in modern war.

They have come to Okinawa to dedicate a lovely monument in remembrance of the Americans, Japanese and Okinawans killed there in the last and bloodiest battle of the Pacific war. More than 200,000 perished in the 82-day struggle - twice the number of Japanese lost at Hiroshima and more American blood than had been shed at Gettysburg. My own regiment - I was a sergeant in the 29th Marines - lost more than 80 percent of the men who landed on April 1, 1945. Before the battle was over, both the Japanese and American commanding generals lay in shallow graves.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Belated birthday wishes, Henry :)
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Thanks, Andy!

"I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now." :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbPa31KOZg0
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Happy b-day H :) , sorry I’m late to the party,
I read the account of Okinawa and it was good to read an accurate description of the horror of it by someone who was there, it’s difficult to come to terms with the heroism, the insanity and the carnage of it. This is worth reading also http://www.historynet.com/battle-of-oki ... ic-war.htm
Greg
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Thanks, Greg. I will give that a read.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Missed this one have a good one!
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Thanks, Barry! I flew from Okinawa to cold Sapporo a couple of days ago for a week to see the annual Yuki Matsuri (Snow Festival). I have been wanting to see it for 25 years! Wow, Sapporo looks so different now compared to the month we stayed here in late summer and early fall last year. Lots of snow! So cool!