Indian Marker Tree in British Columbia

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Indian Marker Tree in British Columbia

Unread post by bakubo »

I took the photo of this strange, whimsical tree in British Columbia in 2001 with my Olympus D-510Z. I used to see it often and wonder about it. Today, by chance, someone on Facebook posted the following article and I now realize that it is probably an Indian marker tree. Not a great photo, but just thought others might be interested. :)

What Is An Indian Marker Tree, And How Were They Used?

http://offgridquest.com/survival/what-i ... and-how-we

For those who don't remember 2001 era digicams, here is the Olympus D-510Z. I recall I paid C$600 + 14% tax for it at London Drugs in Vancouver. Seems like a lifetime ago, huh? :lol:

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/olympus/d510z-review/

sury
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: Indian Marker Tree in British Columbia

Unread post by sury »

Very interesting. The image and the story.

Sury
Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Great back story and amazing tree - thanks for posting, Henry :)
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

From around 1999 to 2006 I saw this tree many times and was always curious about it. I wondered if it had grown naturally to that contorted shape. Now I am pretty sure it didn't. It is funny how many years later I just accidentally learned about it though.

The Olympus D-510Z was the first digicam that I made extensive use of. Only 2.1mp with a 35-105mm lens, but the fun made me not use my film cameras much after I got it and then in 2002 when I got the much better 5mp Minolta D7i with 28-200mm lens I never really looked back.

Although I had bought a 1.3mp Olympus D-340R digicam in January 2000 and it was my first digital I didn't use it much. Mostly my wife used it, but I do have a few photos I took with it way, way back. Here is some info on it:

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/camer ... hp?cam=123

Digital cameras have been around long enough that it is sort of interesting having a look back sometimes. :)
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Very true, Henry. I wonder where we will be transported to in the next 15 years of photographic advancement?
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
the_hefay
Viceroy

Unread post by the_hefay »

Wow. Thanks for sharing the image and the article.