Model(s) Fatigue - Any suggestions?

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

Re: Model(s) Fatigue - Any suggestions?

Unread post by mikeriach »

Agree with all Pako says. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
It's worth hanging on to see what comes next and if not to your liking follow up on the next best option you like and can afford.

I'll look but not necessarily jump. The A99 is very good, I even thought about looking for a secondhand spare body but I will wait to see what goodies appear. I'm not off to Japan again till 2016.

Mike
All my Sony SLT gear gone. Still got my RX100 though.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Tricky one it's not clear when or if a new A99 will turn up, either way I would have hoped the price would drop more than it has (it did dip down but it's now back to £1500) odd should a new model be announced later this year then it might tumble

Your shutter counts are not that high as you have 2 bodies it's not really something I'd worry about
I have thought about the A77II but it's not a priority really not right now some neat new stuff and I've had a loan of one for a day or so to play with if I were shooting tons of action I'd seriously consider it, but I'm not so the improvements are not really that significant for me.

I still think about picking up another body just to hold onto or bag a bargain A77II prices are quite good A99 might come down a fair bit I'd sit it out for a while if I were you
sury

Unread post by sury »

Mike, are prices in Japan cheaper? Just curious.

Barry, thank you for that insight. Based on all the feedback
I have so far, I will just continue to have my sensor cleaned
and use the A900 for now. Revisit the situation when new models
are introduced to see if it makes sense (for me) to get one that
new fangled gadget.

Sury
Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

I didn't look at the prices. We stumbled into one of the huge electronic stores and was amazed at the selection of models available. At least one of each model of all the makes was a truly impressive sight and shelves of lenses.

As I understand it all Sony models are sold with a Japanese only menu which you can't change so no point in buying one. A lot of my mates go on photo trips to the USA and many buy equipment there to bring back to the UK.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

mikeriach wrote:I didn't look at the prices. We stumbled into one of the huge electronic stores and was amazed at the selection of models available. At least one of each model of all the makes was a truly impressive sight and shelves of lenses.
More on that topic here:

Photos inside a Tokyo camera store

http://www.photoclubalpha.com/forum/vie ... =21&t=6548
bfitzgerald

sury wrote:Mike, are prices in Japan cheaper? Just curious.

new fangled gadget.

Sury
Sury I was thinking about picking up an A850 or A900 they are quite reasonable now price wise and I have an extensive no. of full frame lenses if you have any thoughts overall I'd be glad to hear your views. I know high ISO isn't amazing but I've seen usable to ISO 3200, I have 2 up to date ish crop bodies I pondered picking up another but then something like that might be a reasonable idea too. A99 is just too pricey for me right now
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

bakubo wrote:
mikeriach wrote:I didn't look at the prices. We stumbled into one of the huge electronic stores and was amazed at the selection of models available. At least one of each model of all the makes was a truly impressive sight and shelves of lenses.
More on that topic here:

Photos inside a Tokyo camera store

http://www.photoclubalpha.com/forum/vie ... =21&t=6548
Henry, yes that's pretty much what we saw. The shops are excellent. I really miss that here.

Mike
sury

Unread post by sury »

bfitzgerald wrote:
sury wrote:Mike, are prices in Japan cheaper? Just curious.

new fangled gadget.

Sury
Sury I was thinking about picking up an A850 or A900 they are quite reasonable now price wise and I have an extensive no. of full frame lenses if you have any thoughts overall I'd be glad to hear your views. I know high ISO isn't amazing but I've seen usable to ISO 3200, I have 2 up to date ish crop bodies I pondered picking up another but then something like that might be a reasonable idea too. A99 is just too pricey for me right now

Barry, I briefly looked at A850 when it was released and did not find anything redeeming (at that time) to update my camera. A900 is first and only FF digital camera I have owned.. While I bought both A900 and A700 at the same time (an interesting story of errors in itself), A900 has more than twice as many clicks as A700. I felt the 25MP was quite useful when not having a long zoom handy, under certain conditions. One such example was when I was shooting indoors in the Florence Cathedral, I was going for the mural on the ceiling, in a poor lighting condition. I had so many pixels to spare that when I cropped a portion (1/10th of the original size), I was able to print a 8"X10" print on my home printer and the resolution was just fantastic. The body is becoming heavier as I age. :D So far it worked flawlessly except for a scare few months ago. I stopped pampering it about 3 years ago and it has seen some usage by my 10 year old nephew to folks who do not realize a camera is a delicate instrument. Traveled with me on all my trips and more often than not, the image quality was more than adequate for my needs. It worked well with various adapters on it as well: M42, MD (both with and without glass), T2 (put on telescope), Hasselblad, and Nikon. I have used it with CUL set, reverse mount adapters, extension tubes, ND filters. Did birds in flight, action shots (race cars, air shows), landscapes galore, macros and panoramas.

Only places where I found it to be lacking is indoors with mixed lighting and/or poor lighting. Very often, at social events at home, I had lower percentage of keepers without flash than with flash. It could be my own technique that could be lacking too.
So one of my wants, if you will, is a better noise management in low light conditions. Granted, I could have benefited from a fast glass (fastest AF I have is CZ24f2). My typical work horses have been CZ2470f2.8 and 70-400G in the last one year. Before that it was Tamron 2470/s.8, Minolta 28-135, and Sigma 70-300DG APO were my go to lenses and Tamron 200-500 for those occasional air shows and bird in flight shots. I don't if I answered any questions, but this is a summation of how I feel about A900.

With best regards,
Sury
Mark K
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Mark K »

sury wrote:My a900 has 60K+ clicks and A700 has about 30K clicks. They both still work very good.

What I am going through is a Model(s) fatigue. I read how the latest models have improved
so much in so many different areas and get tempted to upgrade but the sensible side kicks
in and tells me not to bother; since lacking all the touted improvements did not prevent me from
enjoying my cameras for my style of photography, which is shall we say shoot first and talk later style. :D
I am a perpetual amateur that likes to take photos of all kinds.

With the lenses and accessories that I have, I have no desire to switch mount. What I am struggling
with, is the ennui that comes with using the same gear for a long period of time.

Some recent temptations were: A7R, A6000, A99, and eve A7S.
Tried QX10 and HX50V as toys and use HX50Vas a travel companion.

Other than the obvious suggestion of buy a new body or lens any insight(s) or suggestion(s)
to mitigate my "existential angst" is/are most appreciated.

With best regards,
Sury
a99
sury

Unread post by sury »

Certainly on the list Mark. I heard a new version is in the pipeline and suggested to wait for it.
In meantime, A900 is at 63K mark now. :D

Sury
sury

Re: Model(s) Fatigue - Any suggestions? Got A99 M2

Unread post by sury »

After going through a health scare in 2016 and in 2017 suffering sudden loss of two family members, losing my job after 23 years and finding a new one in 23 days, I have decided not to waste time deliberating and got a new A99II couple of weeks ago. Though did not spend much time due to work pressure, I am slowly getting to know the camera. I have not figured out the settings yet and going through the learning process. Ordering Gary Friedman's book tonight. I want to thank you all for the valuable insight and passionate personal observations.

With best regards,
Sury
ValeryD
Viceroy

Unread post by ValeryD »

Sury, It's not big different than setting for a77-II. :) The camera a99-II has more option than a77-II, but basic of the setting same.
Everything in the life unusual!
sury

Unread post by sury »

Oh, ok. Thank you Valery.

Sury
bfitzgerald

So far no problems on the A57 or A77. If the A77II were more realistic on price it would be worth a look, but it's about the same £1000 (just under) it was in 2014. I know Brexit messed things up a bit, even so can't see any reason to consider it other than I have the grip that I don't use often that fits it. Even s/h prices are not good, maybe you can get one for a fair price if so give it a shot.

If my A77 died I'd probably just hunt out a decent s/h one. One wonders if the A77III will ever show up who knows