Bokeh is the focus - Open thread

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Re: Bokeh is the focus - Open thread

Unread post by bakubo »

Birma wrote:That drill instructor looks like a friendly fellow :)
I spent a fun filled 3.5 months there in the summer of 1975. So much fun and games, laughing every minute. So I can tell you from my own experience that all Marine Corps drill instructors are very friendly, easy to get along with, and happy chaps. :lol:
the_hefay
Viceroy

Unread post by the_hefay »

bakubo wrote:
Birma wrote:That drill instructor looks like a friendly fellow :)
I spent a fun filled 3.5 months there in the summer of 1975. So much fun and games, laughing every minute. So I can tell you from my own experience that all Marine Corps drill instructors are very friendly, easy to get along with, and happy chaps. :lol:
:lol: I knew I should've enlisted in the marines instead of the army. :D
sury
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by sury »

Few more ....

[url=https://flic.kr/p/rVWWHw]Image
Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hi Sury,

I like the first one with the rose shot. The background has a nice blur and purplish colour too. I think this composition is the best from the three. The in-focus-flowers of the other two shots are nice but how about getting the pot and its flowers out of the frames? Maybe you could change the angle of the camera and eliminate them while shooting or crop them later? I like the bokeh though.

Thank you for sharing,

Yildiz

ps. You know, Sury, the only thing that sometimes go a bit wrong in your shots is the composition of the overall frame estate. Your enthusiasm might be getting in the way and you maybe shooting impatiently. :D Only my humble opinion but I think that your photos are getting more and more interesting. : ) Your collection of sweet equipment and your wife's flowers are agreeing with you....
RareTA
Grand Caliph

Unread post by RareTA »

Sury I just love that first yellow flower! What an eye you have.
Camers: a330 & a700

Web Site: HTTP://freiss.co.nr

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/102813164@N04/

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left!
sury

Unread post by sury »

aster wrote:Hi Sury,

I like the first one with the rose shot. The background has a nice blur and purplish colour too. I think this composition is the best from the three. The in-focus-flowers of the other two shots are nice but how about getting the pot and its flowers out of the frames? Maybe you could change the angle of the camera and eliminate them while shooting or crop them later? I like the bokeh though.

Thank you for sharing,

Yildiz

ps. You know, Sury, the only thing that sometimes go a bit wrong in your shots is the composition of the overall frame estate. Your enthusiasm might be getting in the way and you maybe shooting impatiently. :D Only my humble opinion but I think that your photos are getting more and more interesting. : ) Your collection of sweet equipment and your wife's flowers are agreeing with you....
Yildiz,
Thank you on your suggestion for the composition. That has been my weakness and have been trying to improve it. Cropping works well on the second one. The third one needs a different angle as you pointed out since cropping does not work on it.
I did consider cropping the second one but thought the yellow pot provides a break to the "monotonous" (as in boring) background. But I do see your point of view as well.

With best regards,
Sury
sury

Unread post by sury »

RareTA wrote:Sury I just love that first yellow flower! What an eye you have.
Ken,
Thank you. Much appreciated. Normally, it would have been "I got lucky". But this weekend
I did try to exercise discipline (Yildiz was right about my impatience, wasn't she - :lol: ) and
that one I can claim as "by design". I do feel good about it and feel better that it was noticed.

With best regards,
Sury
sury

Unread post by sury »

Yildiz,
Is is what you have in mind (conceptually)?

the_hefay
Viceroy

Unread post by the_hefay »

Sury, the rose shot is great. I'm also enjoying seeing your experimentation with these panoramic type shots. My favorite so far is on page two. It's the second of three with the white blossoms in the middle. I agree with what Yildiz said about that particular shot. I also liked the one of your wife in the yard also on page 2. The only thing I would have changed is the vertical composition. In just looking at the photo, I find myself wondering what is lower. In a way, I guess a couple on this page fit into that category. I really like the main subject in this last image and the way you cropped out the flower pot. What I struggle with is again feeling like I'm missing something in the surrounding flowers. They seem chopped at the bottom. Now in this particular picture it might be very difficult to do anything different due to the placement and height of the flowers. Simply changing the vertical crop at the angle from which this is taken has a risk of ruining the subject by chopping off it's head in order to see more of the stems. That probably wouldn't do either. These, of course, are just the ramblings of someone who's creativity is limited, and who is most envious of some of your lenses, whether they are yours or just permanently on loan to you. ;)

Keep it up Sury. I'd like to see more. :)
sury

Unread post by sury »

Jeff,
Thank you for your "rambling" and please do continue. I see what you mean and I do agree
with it. In fact, keeping in mind your previous comment, I tried something different today and
did not get around to loading them yet. Let me see if they come out the way I wanted which
I think is the way you have suggested and suggesting.

Sury
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

sury wrote:Yildiz,
Is is what you have in mind (conceptually)?

Hi Sury, :D

Yes, exactly what I had in mind. Thank you for giving it an other try. : )

Now, Jeff has a good point too; while this panoramic take on these very fragile flowers with long stems work, adding some more vertical estate to the frame while still retaining the panoramic proportions that please the eye would be great. The "chopped" feeling would definitely be eliminated then as Jeff suggested. The idea is to have a background that is relevant to its main subject and uncluttered by the irrelevant subjects that surround it, in other words an isolation of the main subject against a quieter background while enhancing its beauty by providing the right proportions of display through your camera's visor.

Good work. : ))

Thanks for sharing,

Yildiz
RareTA
Grand Caliph

Unread post by RareTA »

This is a square nail that is just one of many that are holding the elevator together.
Attachments
nail_HDR (Small).jpg
(74.32 KiB) Downloaded 1419 times

sury

Unread post by sury »

You nailed it Ken. :lol: Is that in camera HDR?

Sury
RareTA
Grand Caliph

Unread post by RareTA »

Sury,

It was done with a program I got called Machinery 2. A guy in Germany or Poland designed and sells digital downloads for $40 US.

sury

Unread post by sury »

Thank you. Let me check that one out. I never heard of it.

Sury