Will there really be an A99ii

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Edward
Acolyte

Will there really be an A99ii

Unread post by Edward »

The rumors have been saying A99ii camera will come, for a couple of years now. Is it just talk or does anyone have a reason to believe it will actually be released in our lifetime?

I have an aging A850 and would buy an A99ii if it ever came to market.
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

Re: Will there really be an A99ii

Unread post by mikeriach »

Well everyone hopes so. If you remember the A700, the A77 which was the SLT replacement took forever to appear. Keep the faith.
I am keen to see what the next evolution has to offer. I'm probably a little less adventurous, I want a good solid camera with fast, accurate focus along with good IQ and noise characteristics which can easily be sorted in PP with little effect on the image. The A99 is very good in this respect compared to it's APS-C stablemates.

I'll certainly look at it, but doubt I will be an early adopter unless the A99 packs in. I love my A99, it's been well used since I got it.

Mike
All my Sony SLT gear gone. Still got my RX100 though.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

I'm also pretty sure we'll see a new A99. However, like Mike, I really enjoy my A99. It is a real bargain now. I'm sure 36 or 50 mega-pixels would be nice when we get the new version but I'm also sure they'll dump something I like in the current version, probably the rear screen :D
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
classiccameras
Viceroy

Unread post by classiccameras »

Sony seem to be upgrading the higher end models, but we need an upgrade in the A58/A65 cameras for the more budget market.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

I'm not convinced we'll see an A mount in the short term below the A77II. Right or wrong, I think Sony see 3/5/6 levels as having moved to e mount.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

I'm not convinced we'll see an A mount in the short term below the A77II. Right or wrong, I think Sony see 3, 5, 6 levels as having moved to e mount.
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

Totally agree Andy but I think there is a place for at least one model. The A mount budget glass doesn't have a home anymore. Who's going to use a 18-70 kit lens or 75-300 on an A77?

I think 50mp is a big mistake and I would not be interested at all. Surely we are getting into lens resolution issues again, it's going to push the boundaries of G and Zeiss glass. As you know I shoot aviation mainly where it is more like wildlife/sport usage. My mate has a 36mp Nikon D800 and shoots in jpg for 2 reasons. RAW files are huge and he constantly hit the buffer on bursts. I feel he is losing some of the quality and tried to persuade him to persist with RAW where possible, memory is cheap compared to the camera.

36mp is probably as far as I would want to go but I'm still very happy with 24mp on my A99. Good IQ and room to crop and straighten wayward shots and still get a very acceptable product. It reminds me very much of my old 9Xi.

PS and I don't want to have to upgrade the computer and storage for even bigger files.
ValeryD
Viceroy

Unread post by ValeryD »

For continue our conversation about a99-II and what I think about the Sony. I just copy my post in dpreview.
======================================
I really like your posts about protect Sony company, but the life show the a different picture. Sony start increasing the price for all good lenses and cameras FF format. What about the rest of the photography world? People very happy with Canon and Nikon cameras and they don't have to pay big $$$$ for lenses and cameras. Look around, most of the art work done with Nikon and Canon cameras without the Zeiss and Leica lenses, just done by a regular kit lenses from Canon or Nikon.

OK, Sony did update FF lenses like 24-70. So? We have to pay 50% up? For a original mistake Sony or Zeiss? A99 camera at beginning was most expensive camera in FF line, but it's not pro level camera as Nikon D8xx or Canon 5D MKIII, it's level Canon 6D or Nikon D6xx cameras not even Nikon D750.

What it's all about? Final price for pro photo equipment, Sony is way more expensive than any others in same level. You can say not expensive FF E format, sure, but look at a original lenses for E format - number of $$$$ digits, I'll say it's not reasonable price for same technology line of the product. Plus E format doesn't reach the pro level quality.

I'm Sony user as well as you and I like my Sony cameras, but I don't like the way as Sony goes now.
======================================
Everything in the life unusual!
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

I think the problem with the A99 was it wasn't (despite some claims) up to the D800 or 5dmkIII level def not but the price was near to that at launch. I don't think one "pricey" FF model works you can't just throw a body out there and hope people will buy it. If Sony do update the A99 they will probably throw tons of pixels at it (more than 36mp) I just don't need that and I don't want it. All I want is a reasonably affordable FF body (ie around the D610 price) I don't want more than 24mp I have no need for that.

Trouble is even though the A99 is getting on now the price is still £1500 odd too much IMO
Sony really need to sit down and decide where they are going I don't think the current line up is working for them APS-C or FF they don't have enough choice
the_hefay
Viceroy

Unread post by the_hefay »

I remember back when I purchased my a100. I was told by several people that 9 or 10mp is all anyone really needs. And actually, having used my a100 regularly again for these last couple of months I found I wasn't disappointed by the lower resolution. I also remember when the a65 came out with a24mp sensor. People were commenting on the absurdity of needing that many pixels. I don't keep up on all the new models released. However, I do believe that canon has a 50mp camera. Sony, Nikon, Olympus, etc. will fall inline and release ever increasing pixel counts. Also, if one is satisfied with less MP's and is also satisfied with his lenses, then there is no need to shoot in full high MP mode. High MP cameras only need higher quality glass if one desires to fully utilize the potential of all those MP's. Just look at MP as a feature similar to wifi. It's there if you need it. If not, no worries. Maybe you think it's progress, maybe you don't.

This example isn't exactly a pefect metaphor, but I like using it anytime I hear that something doesn't need to be bigger, better, faster, newer, etc. My brother's boss was quoted as saying, "64MB of RAM is all any computer will ever need." And by the way, he's an engineer using AutoCAD.
bfitzgerald

I'd wager very few people push the limits on resolution 10mp is quite adequate for many needs bar super crop folks. I don't care if they offer a 50mp FF DSLR but it is really essential to be able to shoot raw at a lower image resolution 50mp is complete overkill for wedddings there is little point taking up card and hard drive space with such files. It's not the super high res that's the problem but workflow. Wonder why Canon did the M and S raw because people asked for it and want it.
the_hefay
Viceroy

Unread post by the_hefay »

I understand what you're saying. 50MP is more than most need or even can utilize. But dedicated focus assist lamp, wifi and GPS, among other advancements, to me is not worth noting. I never need wifi or gps, and I rarely need a dedicated focus assist lamp. If I don't want to use the pop up flash for focus assist, then I just mount the hot shoe flash and let it do focus assist. Surely, two of the most useless features on any camera are GPS and WIFI. What a waste of time and engineering. (please note the over exaggeration) The a77 had focus assist and gps. So what. The a77ii doesn't, but it does have wifi. So what. They both have af in video mode. Now that's a feature I can appreciate. It's one of the reasons I purchased the a77ii. My a580 has Focus Check Live and my a77ii has zoom focus. There are many people who don't use those features. That's fine. I don't want them saying that it shouldn't be on the camera and so I won't be suggesting that camera companies quit wasting time with wifi and gps. And for the same reason, I won't interfere with the MP race. Various features come and go. I remember years and years ago a canon my friend had. Keep in mind this was back in the film days. It had some kind of eye control focus mechanism. I have no idea how it worked except that whatever I looked at came into focus. Now that would be a real neat feature I think. Maybe it didn't work that well I don't know. Where did that tech go? Is it still in use by Canon? I don't know. I know I've never owned a camera with it. I'm not trying to be disagreeable. I'm just offering up what I feel is a somewhat balanced view of camera features (with a little sarcasm). Features come and features go. Most features get improved upon and stay until they are no longer selling points. Some brands tend to introduce, drop and reintroduce features. Others don't change quickly enough.

As far as the a99 successor goes, what features did you have in mind? I really am not up on its capabilities or any other FF for that matter. What do you feel Sony needs to put on it to make it competitive from your viewpoint? You stated that you would like to have varying sizes of raw available. What else would tempt you?

Besides, down road a few years, people that never shot a 10mp camera or perhaps had but forgot, will say, "24mp is enough, why do we have 100mp cameras? All they do is waste my hdd space and most people's lenses are only good to 50mp anyways." At least that's my prediction, because that's they way it always has been. ;)
bfitzgerald

Everyone is different and thus I can't speak for others. A lot of features I don't use nor have any interest in if it's there I don't mind I have a choice to use it or not, choice isn't a bad thing. GPS not essential but can be useful if you are doing scenic shots I used to write information down if I travel to off the beaten track locations, no need now I just use the GPS that's built in. Is it essential? No but useful (in some cases) I can turn it off if I don't need to use it.

The red AF assist lamp is the best implementation for AF assist to date tried the Nikon white LED works but it's bright and annoys people, ditto on Pentax their green LED isn't subtle both do the job, but they are distracting for people shots (I used to turn them off bar object photos) The red beam pattern means you can AF on 0 contrast a white wall it even works with that, doesn't sound useful but it creates the contrast. Canon's let's not bother with one at all is the worst solution even if you don't want it you turn it off if it's not there you can't use it.

Leaving both of those off the A77II was a mistake IMO, is it the end of the world? No but there is no current shoe mount or add on for GPS why not? Yopu can use the AF assist on the flash but supposing you are taking ambient light shots and don't need a flash it just adds bulk.

I don't find Wi-fi or NFC that useful Sony's app is pretty hopeless anyway and you don't have proper control over the camera (last time I played with an A77II) Does this mean I don't want them included no if they are of use to others shove them in there I can ignore them if they are not required. I've never argued to leave bits off ever, but if you replace one set of features and remove another you're certain to annoy "some users" The lack of AF assist and GPS are two downsides to the A77II which I have used a few times and I quite like (it does have some nice stuff) Video is much better you can set higher ISO levels, adjust the microphone, no crop with the video SS off too. Great problem is I don't do that much video if someone does I'd say go for it those bits alone will be worth it. For me I'd rather wait for a price slash even then I can't fix the missing GPS and AF assist light.

Pixels has always been about marketing more than reality there might be limited situations where you might want more pixels, but I found 24mp not much different to 16mp, if you are at 24mp 30mp isn't a whole lot more. It's like scanning film there is only so much you can get off a negative I can make 50mp + scans of 35mm film but there is nowhere near that in terms of details, I get bigger files which won't print any better. I'm just doubting the optics are out there to deal with ultra high resolutions even good lenses will struggle.
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

Re 50Mp, it probably made sense for Canon to release a pro camera with 50Mp as some professionals would probably purchase it to replace medium format on outside shoots for convenience. For Sony, a single FF A-mount camera in the line at 50Mp seems odd. It is not even as if the A99 has much life left in it. In fact the Sony attitude to A-mount is odd. They have just released two upgraded FF lenses 18-35 and 24-70 but no new cameras to make use of these. Now, if they released more upgrades and stated these could resolve 50Mp and then released a 24Mp A99 Mk 2 and a A99S II with 50Mp I could see some sense in what they are doing. I don't think they will replace the A58 any time soon and as far as I can see the A77II would appear to be the end of the APS-C line for some time to come. Actually, disregarding the sparce A58 spec., the 20Mp sensor is pretty good. Don't see any need to replace it.
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

Have to agree Barry, WiFi/NFC is of no use to me but GPS is. When in Japan it gave me the locations of my photo features. Found it to be very useful in that respect.

Lets wait and see what comes, when it comes (glass half full man).