Will there really be an A99ii

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
classiccameras
Viceroy

Re: Will there really be an A99ii

Unread post by classiccameras »

I'm seeing more and more Bridge cameras on my jaunts round places of interest, they are certainly getting popular. Several of my friends who are big users of DSLR's are now carrying high end bridge cameras round as they like the all in one package. I believe bridge are now out selling DSLR's in some markets. As for makes, small is popular such as the Panasonics, and Fuji are out there in big numbers. Its interesting to note that the whole Bridge camera scene is quite buoyant as we see nearly all the big players bringing out new models, I wonder if this is the future for some areas of photography. On a recent trip abroad to Belgium, there were many Japanese tourists and a high number were using Panasonic Bridge cameras.
ValeryD
Viceroy

Unread post by ValeryD »

Just got this post from dpreview. :) I like it.
I've heard it'll be A-mount, but I don't think it'll be a dslr. Based on the information I've been hearing, it'll probably be an A mount rangefinder. It's going to use a 1 megapixel medium format sensor, and just always shoot in crop mode, so you can expect about half of a megapixel resolution in "full frame mode". Instead of the standard shutter button, it's going to use a mouthpiece that you bite down on when you want to take a picture. there will be different flavor mouthpieces available for long exposure photography. to change settings, you simply write them with the supplied electronic pen onto the rear LCD, which had been replaced with one of those screens used at grocery stores to sign for credit cards. the preview button will no longer enable you to see your picture on the back. instead, it will audibly describe your image in great detail. It will be the first "full size rangefinder", and will feature the dual grips found on the D4s and the 1Dx. Due to complaints about Sony battery life, it will run off of 8 D cell batteries, with an optional gas engine backpack powersupply for event and sports shooters. It will replace the standard "hotshoe" with an "even-hottershoe", which serves as a hand/beverage warmer, as well as a power source for speedlights.

it will be available on the last day of august, and retail for 3500 dollars.
more... :lol:
Will it have a standard tripod mounting thread?
Nope. No standard tripod thread. In the quest for ultimate stability, Sony has made a deal with RRS to manufacture a new BH-155 ballhead, which is rated to 1200kg, and will feature Sony's new proprietary 3" titanium mounting bolt.
As for legs, it'll be a new 5-legged quintrapod made from compressed volcanic ash.
Everything in the life unusual!
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

:)
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
classiccameras
Viceroy

Unread post by classiccameras »

They need to dump the A58 and bring out a A57 11 for that section of the market, may be an A37 11 just to keep the body smaller
Wes Gibbon
Oligarch

Unread post by Wes Gibbon »

What are the advantages of A99 over A7II or A7RII? with LA-EA4 adaptor?
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by peterottaway »

For some people the larger battery and extra size/bulk when using longer lenses. Extra size would also enable Sony to add a few extras - not necessarily what we have had in the past, but which may be useful for a full frame stills/video combination etc.

And of course for those who are hyper-ventilating over not having two memory cards.

Myself I am quite happy with the smaller size as I rarely use anything larger than the 70-200mm zoom.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

When times to move on from my A99 I would miss the 2 card slots, the GPS, the fully articulated screen, the battery, and the glove friendly size. However I'm sure the fe-emout is in my future. The ability to use just about any glass from the past and present on the front is a strong pull for me.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by peterottaway »

I do have a preference to use FE lenses with my older screw thread A-mount to fill in the gaps. I also have adapters for Minolta MD, Contax CY and Nikon F/G amongst others.

However I still of the opinion that at the current time that adapters are still somewhat of an over sold solution except for real enthusiasts or those with specific needs. It is an answer still under going construction. Until there exists adapters that can be relied upon for AF of Canon and Nikon lenses that can perform to the level of mid level marque cameras they should remain a minority choice.
Edward
Acolyte

Unread post by Edward »

Isn't the A99 already gone? I heard its not listed on the Sony site any more.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

A99 still seems to be for sale though it's not rare for Sony to end of life a product before one comes out.
Nobody really knows what will happen

A7RII maybe I'm the only one to cringe at the £2599 price tag yes or loss of HDD space to massive 42mp files it will come down but try half that even then I'd think twice about it. Mind you looking at the RX updates Sony's pricing has gone insane lately

I'm not short of cameras it won't make much difference to me they do need to calm down on the E mount frenzy a bit
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by mikeriach »

Birma wrote:When times to move on from my A99 I would miss the 2 card slots, the GPS, the fully articulated screen, the battery, and the glove friendly size. However I'm sure the fe-emout is in my future. The ability to use just about any glass from the past and present on the front is a strong pull for me.
Andy,

Totally with you on the first sentence. It is a great camera with excellent features. Served me well and yes when it is cold (and it is here a lot) a good grip with a heavy glove is useful. It's a good all rounder and the images process easily to give excellent IQ and sharpness. I will really miss it when it dies on me, I'd consider buying a secondhand one if it did.

For travel, landscape and general subjects I have no doubt the A7RII is an outstanding camera (if not the best) but I doubt it is for me, even if Santa brought it at Christmas. I mainly use my cameras for aircraft/wildlife so fast response, excellent handling, long lenses, fast and accurate AF are among the desirable features. I don't use old lenses other than a couple of KM AF models and have no desire or need to use MF lenses at all. I guess I'm in the minority now but I just want to use my A mount glass on a native body. If you look at the FE lenses launched, it is clear that this is not being touted as a fast action camera. The only lens I'm slightly interested in is the 70-200 f4. I have to say though that from some angles it reminds me of my old MD mount XD7.

All in all I just don't think FE is for me though I have no doubt it is for many of you. Very sorry to say but I feel Sony's drive on E/FE has driven me away, my next camera is very likely to be a Canikon and that makes me rather sad. :( I've been a Minolta shooter since 1979 and an A mount user since the 7Xi was launched. I've already offloaded a few lenses but I'm keeping a core to use on the A99 for now.

PS I'm with Barry, my computer and drives are swamped with A99 and A77 RAW files, I'm more than happy with 24MP.
All my Sony SLT gear gone. Still got my RX100 though.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Problem for me is changing mounts is costly as I found out before that said I think it would be unwise to invest in native E mount lenses, they are expensive and you're locked into yet another mount. I'm not against the open mount concept but if E mount is along that lines (at least for bodies) Sony have in effect given us a body (range) I can't see many Canikon users dumping their inventory to move to E mount.

They might pick up a body and adapter about it though. I would not move mount again I can't afford to I've invested in A mount and the resale values are not great even if I trimmed down the range substantially some of those lenses are worth next to nothing but are still very capable optics. If Sony want a viable transition if that's what they really have planned they need to sort the flash out (how about a body with a flash and proper wireless flash control) and the battery life/ergonomics. Not to mention the price not a hope in hell I'd pay over £2k for a FF body.

I see no reason to abandon A mount but only Sony know what's going on if I transitioned to Canikon it would shed a huge load of cash which I can't really justify. I won't be happy if down the road it's E mount only but it might be better than nothing. What I won't be doing though is putting money into their E mount lenses. If other makers do FF ILC bodies then the door is open to using them with all the main 4 DSLR mounts. ILC is over hyped I found it not that exciting (the Fuji's were nice but not nice enough)
Wes Gibbon
Oligarch

Unread post by Wes Gibbon »

bfitzgerald wrote: A7RII maybe I'm the only one to cringe at the £2599 price tag yes or loss of HDD space to massive 42mp files it will come down but try half that even then I'd think twice about it. Mind you looking at the RX updates Sony's pricing has gone insane lately
I was in Park Cameras yesterday and only customers who pre-ordered A7RIIs are getting them at the moment, so the prices of the very latest models are not insane from Sony's point of view while the dealers are selling everything they can lay their hands on. I'm sure you're not the only one to cringe, but we'll just have to wait to see where the price finally settles.

Meanwhile, the RX100M3 and A7II have now dropped a lot in price (even better with the double cashback - now ended). i bought an RX100 with a day to spare on the cashback and was seriously tempted by the A7II at £1050. Even with the EA4 adaptor thrown in it was less than I paid for my A900.

Whether Sony will bring out an A99 Mk 2 - who knows? There is clearly some potential demand but probably very limited given that the A7 & A7R with an adaptor offer an alternative way forward and it may not be worth their while. On the other hand they have probably done most of the R&D (it's only fairly recently that the FE mount became such a game-changer for them) and it may be that they can recoup more of their investment by selling a small number of units at a premium price rather than abandoning the project altogether - and it may help their image to keep a flagship model going for another few years.

Of course, what would do their image a lot more more good would be to bring out more new lenses that people will actually want. It's a long time since they released an A-mount lens that either I had to buy, or wished I could afford.

They now have the problem of running two lens mounts in parallel. I'm not an expert in lens design so if I've got any of this wrong please say:
Wide angle lenses present a problem with SLR cameras because the mirror housing occupies space that theoretically belongs to the rear element so they have to do clever stuff with the lens design to enable the rear element to stay clear of the mirror and shutter. Mirrorless design whould allow wide-angle lenses to be simpler and lighter. The rear element of telephotos on the other hand is normally a long way from the sensor and does not compete for space with the mirror so there is no design advantage in making E-mount or FE-mount telephotos, and though E-mount lenses have the practical advantage of not needing an adaptor, there seems to be some feeling that at the moment autofocus is faster with an A-mount lens and EA4 adaptor than with native E-munt lenses. It does seem so far that Sony have been producing mainly wide lenses in E or FE mount (the impressive-looking all-white FE 70-200mm f4 is quite compact and will appeal to well-heeled users who switched to mirrorless to save on size and weight but then it is also only f4 and has had a mixed reception). So what we need from Sony are -an ecomony FE wide-angle zoom that is better than the 28-70 kit lens, and more A-mount telephotos because at the moment they are offering a choice that Hobson himself would have been proud of.
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

I might be jumping ship sooner than expected as my A99 just died, see Repair & Servicing section.

Mike
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

My A99 is currently being repaired but I have seen a few threads on DPreview recently relating to the A99II.

I guess with a finite resource, Sony has to pick carefully what it develops and because of it's lead on the mirrorless system and good product takeup, it has shelved the A mount roadmap (either temporarily or permanently). Hopefully it will be pushed again using the technology gains from the A7RII etc. Surely it's worth a punt, it just needs one guy to champion it but it depends on how the people at the top see Sony imaging systems developing (I see recent news re the sensor branch being separated out).

Sony have an enviable sensor suite with FF 24, 36 and 42mp. It could easily match (and improve on) Nikons offerings of D6xx, D7xx and D8xx. Canon seem to be behind in this race for now but I'm sure it won't be long before they catch up with the low/mid range FF market.

My future with Sony depends both in A mount body and lens development. For me to invest in glass I need Sony to invest in an A mount future. If that fades away then so do I. If it is to go on then I'm looking for mid-range f4 lenses like the Nikon pairing of 24-120 f4 and 70-200 f4. Surely my expectations are not unreasonable.

In the coming weeks I hope to get a loan of some Canon gear from a friend and I'll see how I manage with its user interface and IQ. My Nikon trial was quite positive with similar IQ and ease of "developing". Handling was pretty good too.

In some absurd way I almost wish they'd pulled the plug as it would make my decisions much easier (currently a 3 way tie). But I have a nice FF lens line up and would like to get a few more years out of the A99 before having to contemplate a move.

I wait with baited breath.