Counting my blessings

Anything else you want to get off your chest or any public chat you want to continue away from a main topic
Ossie
Grand Caliph

Counting my blessings

Unread post by Ossie »

Counting my blessings today. A partition on one of my main working disks (with two partitions) started to play up. It started to show up when LR5 was taking an age to increase a thumbnail to a larger size or refused to transfer a file into CS5. My first thought was that there had been a glitch within LR but then the PC froze when trying to save a file in CS5. On rebooting the computer I received the dreaded message that a disk (one of the partitions) needed reformatting before it could be used. Rebooted again and this time no warning message appeared. I decided not to take a chance and bought a new HDD and copied everything over to the new disk.

On sorting out my LR catalogue I discovered that 6 folders of images had not been copied across. Luckily or so I thought I had a backup system in place, well actually two, but when I tried to recover the files from the backups I found that for some reason neither backup had backed up these 6 folders.

At one time when uploading images from my Camera to my PC I would also put a copy of the files on to a CD/DVD. To my relief I found that I had copied four of the missing folders to a DVD and was able to recover the original files. I have lost the files that I had edited but at least with the originals I can recreate them if need be. As for the two folders that I have lost completely they contained few files and in the scheme of things loss of the files is not a critical issue. Things could have been so much worse.
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: Counting my blessings

Unread post by Dusty »

Lucky indeed.

First rule of backups - backup frequently.
Second rule of Backups (the one everyone forgets) - TEST YOU BACKUPS.
Third rule of backups - back up to multiple locations/devices.

I use SyncBack Free to run off copies of everything to the servers, at work - yes, they allow it, we're small and have a lot of spare capacity, and I'm the IT guy.

At home I copy everything to a Buffalo NAS that has 4 drives in a RAID5 configuration. Plus there are a couple of USB drives around with backups on them.

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
Birma
Tower of Babel

Re: Counting my blessings

Unread post by Birma »

Phew - glad the disaster was mitigated, Ossie. Good point about testing backups, Dusty! :)
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.