Rare as a roll of 620 film

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Rare as a roll of 620 film

Unread post by bakubo »

Who doesn't love old wooden cable spools? Someday they will probably be as rare as a roll of 620 film or a horny toad. So, enjoy them while you can... :lol: Ehime-ken in Japan yesterday.

Cogito
Grand Caliph

Re: Rare as a roll of 620 film

Unread post by Cogito »

Definitely rare. And a nicely balanced shot. But 4 spools in the image..... I still have a Minolta 16mm MG-S. Only one but....?
Tony
Be you ever so high, the law is above you. Lord Denning
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Cogito wrote:Definitely rare. And a nicely balanced shot. But 4 spools in the image..... I still have a Minolta 16mm MG-S. Only one but....?
I think these wooden cable spools are not rare now, but someday I expect they will. I decided to document them before they are rare. :lol:

At the entrance to many Shinto Shrines in Japan there are statues of the God of Thunder and Lightning. I think his name is Raijin. They don't all look alike, but here is one in Sapporo.

bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

All we are saying is Give Peace Combat a Chance... :lol:

sury
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by sury »

The word eclectic comes to mind looking at this set.

Sury
Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

sury wrote:The word eclectic comes to mind looking at this set.
Yes, I guess so. :) And here is a lovely face with 2 yen in his mouth from today.

sury

Unread post by sury »

Interesting photo. Wonder what the significance about the money in the mouth.
Taking the adage put money where your mouth is, literally? :lol:
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Brilliant selection of pictures, Henry. Each one completely fascinating. I had to look up the 620 film thing on google :) .
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

sury wrote:Interesting photo. Wonder what the significance about the money in the mouth.
Taking the adage put money where your mouth is, literally? :lol:
I doubt if there is any big significance, but I am not sure. Notice that coins are also in the eyes. :)
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Birma wrote:Brilliant selection of pictures, Henry. Each one completely fascinating. I had to look up the 620 film thing on google :) .
Thanks. When I am just hanging around the same place for awhile rather than traveling I still spend lots of time wandering around with my camera. I take photos everyday even if sometimes it is only 2 or 3. :)
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

I was walking in the countryside here in Japan this morning in a farming community. I saw this very old woman up ahead walking bent over at almost a 90 degree angle. Not only that, but she is probably over 90 years old. In the countryside you still sometimes see old women like this. They spent a lifetime of backbreaking work bending over in the rice fields and eventually they cannot stand up straight. They continue to persevere though with a spirit that is inspiring. Last week I saw one like this in a department store and she was slowly walking with a cane. She could barely see what was in front of her. Anyway, I stopped and spoke with the woman in this photo for several minutes today. She was hard of hearing, but so cheerful. She was surprised that I talked with her, but was laughing. :) She seemed to not have any teeth. Unfortunately, like sometimes happens in Japan, when you take a photo of an old person they suddenly get so serious.

This photo was one I took just a few moments before. I accidentally tripped the shutter as I was bringing the camera up, but you can see her smiling, laughing face. :)

sury

Unread post by sury »

Lovely captures Henry. The second one is absolutely precious. There is something to be
said about candids, isn't it? :D
the_hefay
Viceroy

Unread post by the_hefay »

Henry those are great shots and I love the story, too.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Great story and picture, Henry. When thinking of Japan from afar it is easy to think of it being all neon tower blocks and bullet trains, but this is a great reminder of the rural side to Japan and the people who work there.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

sury wrote:Lovely captures Henry. The second one is absolutely precious. There is something to be
said about candids, isn't it? :D
Thanks, Sury. Even though the B&W photo definitely doesn't show it I think you can imagine how bright and cheerful she was. I think she was pretty shocked to have me come up beside her and start talking with her. It was the countryside and there were farmers out in the fields around there. It was quite rare, I am sure, for a foreigner to be walking along alone there. Since she was looking straight down at the ground she didn't even see me until I spoke to her. Then she looked up and smiled. I had to repeat things sometimes so she could hear me and also she was probably not accustomed to my accent. :lol: