24mp sensors and lens performance

Discussion of lenses, brand or independent, uses and merits
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: 24mp sensors and lens performance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

I just got an email from Sigma touting the new MC-11
HAVE A SOFT SPOT FOR SONY?

The MC-11 is now available, and is ready to marry your Sony camera with your Sigma lens.

I don't know why I get emails from Sigma I've never bought lenses from them or anything else. I did find it a bit odd they put this in there too..

Firmware updates may be required to optimize your SGV lens functionality.

Sounds like a Beta product that's being worked on in retail form!
Back to the lenses I don't disagree with any comments; however I feel there is more to a lens than pure resolution and sharpness. As I found out with Fuji some lenses were good, a few I tried were horribly sharp. Some of those super sharp lenses had quite nasty rendering which just on that turned me off them significantly. All lenses are compromises to a degree absolute sharpness is probably a bit overblown (bar ultra pricey lenses)
classiccameras
Viceroy

Unread post by classiccameras »

David said he had found a couple of faults with his Sigma MC-11 adapter and has sent it back or something like that. However, the Alpha A mount lenses both zooms and Primes are pretty good so I was blessed this morning at a camera shop in Stevenage Old town where they had a mint second hand Sony E to A LE-A2 adapter, for £75, it works a treat and auto focus is spot on. OK, it defeats having a compact system camera but some of the Sony Alpha mount primes are quite small and light and optically very good. I can also use Minolta screw focus lenses on this adapter as it has a screw connection.
bfitzgerald

For that price it's worth a shot. I would only have a moderate interest in using an adapter and even then full frame more than crop. I've yet to find an E mount body I really like but at a silly price I could be tempted.
classiccameras
Viceroy

Quite honestly, Barry, I'm beginning to regret going down the E mount road, the only saving grace for me is the Sony LA-EA2 adapter so I can use A mount glass, both Sony and screw focus Minolta. With the MC-11 adapter it will be an opportunity to fit lenses with IS such Canon fit. This was a complete oversight by Sony as they could have made the NEX/A------- with IBIS thus allowing the lenses to be more compact and possibly better optically. As I said in my earlier post, using the adapter more or less defeats the idea of a CSC. I will run with my set up for a while and then reassess my options. I would suggest the A5000/A6000/A6300 are as good as any cropped A mount and better in some ways as they are not SLT
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

Just seen David Kilpatrick's 24 April explanation of how the E-mount lenses work, being totally dependent on reliable power supply and clean contacts. I have been wondering about the performance of my E-mount 10-18mm F4. Sometimes it is completely sharp across full width at F7.1 or 8 on my A6000, which are my favourite settings. At other times it is unsharp either to the extreme right or mostly left so I have to crop for my purposes. The fact that it can be sharp across full width would indicate that the problems raised by David comes into play and it is not the lens as such. I must try and identify if I have "unreliable" batteries amongst my five or so I have, two of which are genuine Sony.
classiccameras
Viceroy

I would like more info on this, I haven't experienced these problems on my A6000 but I mostly use an adapter for my A mount lenses, whether this has any bearing on the problem or lack of them in my case, I don't know.
bfitzgerald

Hard to say I have less experience on E mount regarding the lenses and bodies. Everything is electronic though as with Canon and I know more than a few Canon 24-105mm F4 L users who were hit with the dreaded ribbon cable problem. Aperture goes nuts opening and closing or just stays stuck. When I mean more than a few a lot actually. If you have the whole lens doing everything electronic ie aperture, focus, IS etc then it isn't surprising problems can occur. Mechanical focus from the body might not be as refined but how many lenses has you have fail? And I've never heard of anyone burn and AF motor out on a body. Mechanical aperture bar the spring giving up (not had any yet) doesn't seem so bad.

Sometimes I wonder about "moving forward with tech" lenses are expensive some of them. Bodies come and go
classiccameras
Viceroy

I think I have found a happy compromise with my A6000/lens situation, I now mainly use Minolta lenses either via the LA-EA2 adapter for full auto focus, or my LA-EA3 for manual focus. both give superb results. Only thing is, no OSS on Sony A mount lenses, its not such an issue on shorter focal lengths but can be problematic on tele shots, unless you use a tripod. Sony, great system, but Minolta came to the rescue yet again. I just read that FOTODIX Pro make a Canon EF to Sony E adapter with all functions, it would thus allow the use of stabilized lenses, but not sure if there are any pit falls, will have to read the reviews.
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by mikeriach »

Lets hope the non-OEM adaptors don't run into Sigma type incompatibility issues when Sony change some firmware.
All my Sony SLT gear gone. Still got my RX100 though.
bfitzgerald

If Sony can come up with a solution which takes FF lenses and gives "fast" AF minus the SLT option on E mount bodies - they would get a lot more interest from A mount users. The current SLT option isn't ideal because it's using a somewhat dated AF array it would do the job but it's bulky and needs to be smaller. Most lenses I have are not in lens motors.
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by mikeriach »

I would tend to agree Barry. Perhaps then Sigma might want to make some more lenses in Sony fit.
I'm enjoying my experiment with Nikon though I really miss being able to review in the EVF. I'd probably never tried Nikon if the E system was more accommodating to my lenses. But they still need to fix the battery life and make the bodies a little more chunky for the bigger lenses.
All my Sony SLT gear gone. Still got my RX100 though.