Weather Today-In Your Vicinity/2017

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
aster
Tower of Babel

Weather Today-In Your Vicinity/2017

Unread post by aster »

Weather In Istanbul:

Temperature: -1 °C Snow - Feels like -6°C

-------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

Here's to a healthy, nice, happy, successful, peaceful, free and prosperous 2017 ! :D

Finally snowing in Istanbul and it's freezing cold ... and icicles started hanging down my side of the roof. Taken with the macro of my Sony camcorder, the 'watercolour effect' on the melting snow got my attention. I liked that the colour of the wall paint changed the texture of the icy curves to a colourful marbled pattern.

Not very sharp overall but the mercurian watercolour effect is all there, at least for my eyes. :)

Would love to see the weather shots of your most recent whereabouts also. : )

Yildiz
IcyDroplet-2017IstanbulWinter.jpg
(252.29 KiB) Downloaded 3452 times
MercuryIce-Winter2017Istanbul.jpg
(229.54 KiB) Downloaded 3452 times
Last edited by aster on Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Re: Weather Today In Your Vicinity-2017

Unread post by pakodominguez »

Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Neat view of the Big Apple, Pako. : )

Looks cold but the skyline of the city is very sharp and nice.
Pity that the photo cannot be linked directly to show in the forum. It's beautiful.

Thanks for sharing,

Yildiz
the_hefay
Viceroy

Unread post by the_hefay »

Nice icicles Yilidiz.

Pako, looks like a clear but frosty day.
sury
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by sury »

Nice shots Yildiz and Pako.

Sury
Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Thank you both, Sury and Jeff. :)

Yildiz
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: Weather Today-In Your Vicinity/2017

Unread post by Dusty »

Last week it was bitter cold and we had snow. Today it's 64F/18C in St. Louis. Friday will be freezing rain/sleet.

As we always say here, don't like the weather? Stick around a few hours, it'll change!

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

aster wrote:.
Neat view of the Big Apple, Pako. : )

Looks cold but the skyline of the city is very sharp and nice.
Pity that the photo cannot be linked directly to show in the forum. It's beautiful.

Thanks for sharing,

Yildiz
yep, I tried to embed the post here, but it didn't work. I don't really use my Flickr account much, and I was sharing the image from my phone, so no FTP... The interface of the forum is good for threads and some discussions, but not necessarily for mobile-sharing images. Instagram as platform is probably the way to go (if someone have the time to curate/maintain it)
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

the_hefay wrote: Pako, looks like a clear but frosty day.
A "nice clear" winter day in NYC means, most of the times, windy and cold, freezing temperatures.

Last winter I went to that park (just one block from my apartment) to run a little and quick test with a lens I just bought. And I forgot my gloves -not really important for a 10 minutes test, right? It was on the 17 Fahrenheit (-15 Celsius?). After the "quick test" I had a burn felling on my hands for the next two weeks :-/

Few years ago, one of those "vortex" days, I was comparing my Tamron 70-200 f2.8 against a Sony 70-200 that I got on loan from Adorama rental department. I went to the Brooklyn Botanical garden, one of my favorite places in NYC, and while taking photos outdoors (their greenhouse is THE PLACE to be, believe me) the Tamron's diaphragm stuck wide open, while the Sony, and the Minolta 35-200 Xi that I had handy, kept working. I asked David K, that I knew had the same lens at the time, to try to replicate the problem, and his answer was that they NEVER had those winter conditions in Kelso...

It is, definitely, part of the charm of the City. Spring is the best...
Pako
------------
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Weather In Istanbul:
Temp.: 5 C-Feels like 2 C degrees
----------------------------------------------

The weather quickly changed to rainy yesterday and washed away all the snow that took over our garden on 10 January 2017, which can be seen in the photos below.

Pako, indeed, it would be incredibly convenient and easy way of sharing photos if Instagram could be integrated into the running but I don't know myself. Maybe someone knows how to ?

Yildiz

Walking back home in the garden ...
2017.01.10-snowIstanbul.jpg
(329.58 KiB) Downloaded 3323 times
Almost there...
10.01.2017-SnowInIstanbul.jpg
(311.81 KiB) Downloaded 3323 times
Ivies look nice under a blanket of massive snow..
2017.01.10-SnowInIstanbul.jpg
(326.4 KiB) Downloaded 3323 times
the_hefay
Viceroy

Unread post by the_hefay »

Pako, interesting about the Tamron lens sticking. I've taken lots of photos in sub-freezing temps and have never had that issue with any lens that I own. That being said, I don't own the Tamron 70-200.

Yildiz, great snowy shots. Seeing these wintery shots and the ones in the photo contest, has both made me homesick for Wyoming and at the same time happy I'm here in Peru. :) A little schizophrenic I guess. lol
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Thank you, Jeff. :)

Understandable wanting to be in both places... Winter has some neat and lovely advantages too but getting around in a warmer environment is more productive, I suppose, and Peru is a very interesting place to be in.

Hope you're enjoying your stay there.

Yildiz
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Love the wintery pictures from Istanbul and New York! :)

Great idea to restart the thread.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Yildiz, I am surprised to see so much snow in Istanbul! Is that unusual?

Japan since yesterday has been getting lots of snow, but where I am we just got a dusting yesterday morning. On the TV news they are showing scenes of major snowfall in many parts of Japan though. Heavy snow coming down and big accumulations. It is hard to live in those places, but I would love to be there for a visit when it is like that to take photos. :)
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Thank you, Birma. :)

Henry, it isn't unusual at all. Istanbul, under normal climate conditions always had serious snow accumulations but usually after snow it gave way to frost which means less snow and more thin ice that one can skid on. That can be very dangerous since we have very sloped roads around our buildings.
The snow in the photos lasted from 8 Jan. to 10 Jan. but it snowed non-stop. I remember that it measured up to 2 feet/around 60 cm. in parts that humans didn't have to walk. What you see in the photo is the lesser of the snow, actually, because it stopped for a while giving the impression that it was over, then by 4pm started over again, hence the puffy/fluffy look of fresh snow. It was so cold nobody would dare go out and tread on it. The stairs in the garden and all the routes were covered in 35-40 cm snow. It became a guessing game finding the stairs and where exactly to put your feet while walking. It was so soft that it just 'swallowed' you like a white soft swamp.
I almost took these photos in slow motion, first finding a steady ground to stand on.
I remember one year when it snowed 9 days non-stop and my university as well as some others had to go on temporary 'holiday' because public transportation became impossible or didn't help much. There was a good chance of being stranded.

I hope we get some more snow this year but who knows? :) If not as much, at least to give the season its natural boost than be a dry winter period.
I hope you get some chance to shoot snow in Japan as well because with the architecture and the neat landscapes, I'm sure snow would enhance the scenery. Good luck! : )

Yildiz