Sony A-99 11

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: Sony A-99 11

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

CHOLLY wrote:For the price they are asking there is little logic in the stripping away of features on the D7500.

And it is an ADDITION to their line-up; not a replacement for the D7200.

And here's the thing; D500 sales are below projections and they have dropped the list price already.

Is this what desperate companies do when they fear bankruptcy around the bend? :?:

I doubt there will be a D7300 at any point.
The level of feature culling is unparalleled in a camera release on top of a price increase too it's no wonder that the backlash is unheard of even die hard Nikon fans are up in arms and slamming the company. A reposition isn't something that usually goes down well unless you want to make it more appealing in other ways. Problem for Nikon is they dropped so many "7" series bits they've cut it down to a pimped out D5xxx camera with a bigger buffer and a few extras.

To be fair to Nikon the 7 series is pretty similar to the old Dynax 7 range it's supposed to be semi pro most of the good stuff but not all for a reasonable price level. It looks like a desperate attempt to sell the D500 which is a larger camera and might not suit all users that well. There is a market for high end APS-C at a certain point once you start playing around at that level of up to £1500 you limit things to hard core sports/wildlife shooters. I'd expect a hefty price cut on the D7500 honestly I'd go for the D7200 ever day.

I did like the D7000 when I had them shame about the AF problems which Nikon never addressed until later models. I would have been quite happy with those if the AF was on target. There were some weaker points grip not as comfortable..but decent camera for the price. Screams buy a FF model you can pick one up for less than the D7500.
Not sure about the sales what I read is that Sony quote a few months great for them if they can continue. It might be down to Nikon's mistakes and poor market presence I very much doubt Canon will be in trouble they are so engrained in the minds of buyers (for some reason no idea why they do nothing for me even the film bodies were blah I used)
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by peterottaway »

My last Nikon APS camera was the D90, which lasted somewhat less than 6 months. But even so I think I gave it a decent chance to appeal to me. What it did well was pretty good, but the things that Nikon had so obviously debased in performance and tweeking options really annoyed me.

It seems that Nikon is becoming desperate to make more money per camera sold but at the same time is pretty clueless as to the market for such a camera. Many of those buying the D7xxx cameras are interested in photography rather than simply consumers buying the brand. I could show some of my anti Canon bias by making some comments but won't.

And for the record I have actually bought a Canon EOS 1V film camera as I do have a number of Canon EF mount lens for my E mount cameras. I'm more into film these days than I have been for quite a few years. Canon digital for me is a different story.
classiccameras
Viceroy

Unread post by classiccameras »

There is still a global fan base for Canikon, but they are seeing that market shrink quite substantially. I had a D80 and later a D90, both were excellent and gave me good service for several years, but I have to say not at a professional level, just happy snapping, I later traded the D90 for A D5100 only because it was smaller and lighter but it was not as good. Nikon kept D90 production going way past its sell buy date because it was so popular and still in demand.

Canon's biggest DSLR market is the US. My brief spell with a Canon 450D which kept over exposing and I had to underexpose at -7 all the time soon ended, not to be beaten I tried a 550D mainly because it got excellent reviews, and quite honestly that was the best DSLR I have used for IQ, I think their 18mp sensor was the best and performance only improved slightly with the 24mp. It was a pixel race introduction as it was with Nikon.

That went in exchange for a Sony A-37 but in all honesty the IQ was not as good, but the 37 was well blessed with options and usable features most other cameras in that price range didn't have. This seems to be a positive feature with A and E mount Sony's, they are heads above the competition for features and easy to use

Today, Nikon seem to be releasing a new DSLR almost every 6 months and Canon not far behind, in desperation I guess. The one big advantage with Canikon is the vast system that supports both brands and a lens choice not equalled, not to mention the large used market these brands have created.

It seems that Olympus, Panasonic, Fuji, and Sony especially E mount) are all picking up Ex Canikon owners at a fair rate. No camera is perfect, but Olympus seems get most things right and their IQ is superb. I still yearn for a DSLR, I mean one with a mirror and OVF, as for Pentax, some people have switched to it from Canikon, They seem to be very well specified by comparison to equivalent Canikons but the brand remains an enigma to me
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by peterottaway »

I use both EVF and OVF and it's kind of funny, when I'm using even a top of the range OVF I'm aware that I haven't got all the goodies that a decent EVF provides me with, and vice versa with the EVF I'm aware that I haven't got that last bit of clarity I have with the OVF.

At the same time as I get the clarity with the OVF, the image is very two dimensional in comparison with what I'm used to with the A7r II.
CHOLLY
Oligarch

Unread post by CHOLLY »

As long as you don't need aperture control and autofocus when shooting video, the A99II is nearly perfect in every respect.
bfitzgerald

The problem with shoving out tons of models is there is little reason to consider many of them. Nikon's entry range has been treading water for years with little to no major improvements in fact the D3400 actually offers some obvious downgrades v the previous model ie no 3.5mm mic. no sensor cleaning. Nikon's up to the D5600 are not worth considering at all they are horribly crippled for anyone with a serious interest in photography the lack of HSS is a deal breaker right off the bat.

Canon have also been spewing out models left right and centre I really don't see the point of the 77D just go ahead and buy the 80D no reason to spend a bit less on a camera that isn't as good. The D7500 will probably be a disaster for Nikon and will end up with heavy price cuts it's certainly not going to appeal to most D7200 users possibly a few using the lower end bodies. I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole heavy feature stripping and price increase? Not really smart marketing

I wish I could give a more objective view of Pentax and Nikon. I found Pentax to have some excellent ideas but abysmal customer support. The AF nightmare was too much to bear an obvious fault and they even admitted it. Suggesting you keep an eye on their website for a firmware fix was great..years later that update never came the issue was not fixed. I got a full refund on that and a firm pledge to never again buy a Pentax product. Nikon also failed to impress their AF was also shockingly bad I might have been unlucky but I suspect it was a production problem. To this day D7000 back focus ranks as one of the most obvious cases of dodgy AF ever. Twice burnt I decided that I was better off with Sony warts and all
classiccameras
Viceroy

Sony are not perfect, but they continue to give the photographer lots of features the others don't give and even when they cut corners to save money, its not usually a deal breaker. They say the Pentax K3 11 is a the best Pentax yet, with many earlier problems ironed out according to several review sites, but its their average glass at inflated prices that puts me off. Not sure what Ricoh are up to.

DP Reviews said the Canon 77D was nothing special or words to that effect.
CHOLLY
Oligarch

Unread post by CHOLLY »

^^^The Camera market is contracting. Ricoh like every other company save Sony and Fujifilm is looking at declining sales in a shrinking market and trying to figure out how to survive. Their answer is, save money, increase prices, and hang on for dear life!

Sony on the other hand, has made a bold push that is starting to pay off in a huge way. The technology, performance, and prices of their cameras is starting to attract loyal canikon owners who are sick and tired of being played like violins in a concerto by their preferred manufacturers.

So far, that Sony strategy is working, and with the new 9's... the A99II and the A9, Sony is staking it's claim as a major player in an otherwise dying industry.
ValeryD
Viceroy

Unread post by ValeryD »

So? Every one from sony club alpha must buy a99-2 or a9 camera or both.
Both cameras have a magic button "masterpiece"
:) :) LOL
Everything in the life unusual!
classiccameras
Viceroy

Yes Val, agree, it seems that only the high end stuff ever gets discussed, especially recently launched cameras like the 2 you mention and at the expense of the entry level end (nothing new there to discuss). but you have to expect that these new and exciting bits of kit are going to be taken apart by the members, many I suspect are Pros, so they will have a vested interest, not my end of the hobby quite frankly
bfitzgerald

Last I read Sony said they were shifting focus to "higher end/margin" products that was in their financial report to try to increase profits. Hence there isn't a lot of lower end stuff to read or talk about..unless someone wants to buy an A68 to see if it's any good ;-)

They have not released a new budget end E mount camera for a while either again not much to discuss only the A6000 seems to be cheaper than it was. I earn some income from photography but I don't have unlimited funds so the A99II really isn't a requirement. The only other camera to talk about is the A77II which came out in 2014. Believe me I'm no snob I used KM5d's for a good while for paid assignments even the A200 for a couple of commercial jobs didn't have any problems. I don't throw my gear about so it's not a requirement to have top end stuff..saying that there are a few handling reasons one might find it better with a semi pro level body.
CHOLLY
Oligarch

Unread post by CHOLLY »

^^^I'm glad you mentioned both the A68 and the A6000, both of which represent the entry level A mount and E mount range, respectively.

I've said it before and will say it again; the camera industry is SHRINKING. Having a full stable of thoroughbred horses just doesn't make fiscal sense when you don't have enough jockeys to ride them, races to run them in, or people willing to bet on them. :|
bfitzgerald

Interesting post here browsing the DPR forums...
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4147606
CHOLLY
Oligarch

Unread post by CHOLLY »

You've posted this video link before, but on reflection, it shows Nelson's migration from the canikon herd to the Sony way of life. 8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgWkqO7zlMk
ValeryD
Viceroy

Unread post by ValeryD »

Everything in the life unusual!