Sony announces new A9 in New York....

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
CHOLLY
Oligarch

Sony announces new A9 in New York....

Unread post by CHOLLY »

Full frame Stacked CMOS sensor with 24 mp able to shoot 20 frames per second.

Silent shutter, can shoot up to 1/32000 of a second with NO vibration!

693 AF points covering the entire frame!

20 frames per second with NO EVF black out!

New battery system with 2X times the capacity of current E mount batteries.

Available next month (pre-orders begin this friday) for $4500 US $5600 Canadian.

Sony also introducing a new 100-400mm G Master lens.

This camera is aimed DIRECTLY at the pro market... look out D4 and 1DXII!!

Sony is also expanding Sony Imaging Pro Support with 24/7 support, next day repair, and 2 walk-in centers in NY and LA. This will be in addition to new teams of professional support technologists who will be in the field.

Sounds like Sony is making a SERIOUS play for market dominance.
Last edited by CHOLLY on Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Re: Sony announces new A9 in New York....

Unread post by pakodominguez »

looks nice (I just don't get the LAN port, instead of a good WiFi card)
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CHOLLY
Oligarch

Unread post by CHOLLY »

20 fps with FULL auto focus and auto exposure!!!
CHOLLY
Oligarch

Unread post by CHOLLY »

ALSO....

It also features an ethernet connection( ? ) and dual card slots and a joystick. All buttons are programable.

Battery life is estimated to be 2.2 times current battery life and a grip with 2 batteries will be available.

Able to focus down to 3 feet, the new 100-400mm GM will have OSS and is water sealed and light weight.

NICE!!!
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by peterottaway »

In terms of what the A9 offers in comparison with Canon and Nikon then it will be more for less. But is still more than I will pay, so it is a matter of how long it will take for the technologies to trickle down to cameras for the rest of us.

It appears to be impressive for a particular market, and as long as the software is decently debugged, then it should be a goer. After all it is both an A7 III and a A7s III.

Financially I would say that cameras like the EOS 1 and the D5 are more of a vanity item rather commercial models to the copanies. But with the A9, Sony is rounding out its offerings and it is not just what Canikon is offering. As a camera it seems to offer an all round package to a working photo-journalist / videographer as long as they can find a way to purchase the complete package.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

A99II looks like a bargain compared to this ;-)
CHOLLY
Oligarch

Unread post by CHOLLY »

The A9 is CLEARLY aimed squarely at the professional photo journalism market. Meant to compete with the D4/D5 and 1DX/1DXII and do so at a couple thousand dollars less while offering MORE functions and features, as well as superior performance.

Remember, Sony has been developing this camera for the last 3.5 years. All it needed was for the e mount market niche to mature... and with thousands of Nikon and Canon shooters now also invested in E mount, it looks like the company is poised to make a HUGE MOVE.

That 5DIII user can buy the A9 now for $2000 LESS than the 1DXII, and STILL use his Canon L glass.

Smart...
Last edited by CHOLLY on Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
bfitzgerald

I really can't see Sony gaining any traction in the pro PJ market people are heavily invested in these systems. I'd also be amazed if you can get close to their AF performance with an adapter. Don't forget flash too used almost all the time on some shots. Worth a try but not seeing this one working for Sony 20fps is near video be surprised if 10-12fps can't get that shot.

They did change the battery perhaps needed not sure why they didn't use the current A mount one
CHOLLY
Oligarch

Unread post by CHOLLY »

Five years Barry... I say in 5 years Sony will be #1 in FF sales world wide.

You are right about the adapters, though I'll bet you lunch that this E mount will have the best adapted lens performance of all. It's logical if they are trying to get canikon users to flip. ;)

And SERIOUSLY; what sport photographer uses flash on bursts?
bfitzgerald

When I say PJ photojournalist that means press snapper too and yes they use flash constantly. To assume anyone who works as press just takes sports shots is a little off the mark in fact the sports stuff is niche compared to the other shots.

BTW there is one thing the camera industry should do but has not and that is allow direct use of lithium cells 2 x 18650's will do though shorter ones possibly. That's the only way you're going to get real endurance on battery life. Too much cash to make selling overpriced OEM cells using off the shelf batteries in a plastic case. It's a massive rip off of the highest order
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by peterottaway »

It's one thing to have a corporate look for the FF E mount cameras, but for the life of me I can't understand for a pro camera which will be expected to take long and heavy lenses that something more like the A99 body wasn't used.
bfitzgerald

Because people would probably moan saying it's "too big" or dumb for a ILC to be made to look like a DSLR. Agree most lenses used on a body of this type will be hefty. Not a fan of the "boxy Volvo" look on the E Mount cameras each to his own I suppose. Network port is puzzling no idea on that one
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

A truly impressive camera, but not for me. I was also wondering about the target market and how successful this camera will be. There must be a significance in releasing together with the F4-5.6 zoom reaching from 100 to 400 mm. Could it be aimed at individuals such as females and elderly gentlemen who can no longer carry around a full Canon or Nikon kit? They won't get the full narrow focus area of a F2.8 300 mm single focus lens, but still. I don't know. They have also got the 70-200 FE at F2.8 as well asA-mounts 300 F2.8 and 500 at F4. Not sure how the A-mounts will performe on A9 through adapter.
A lot of people were doubtful about FF E-mount, but look at what has happened. I believe that Nikon is struggling. This may cut into their high value sales. Once the doubt sets in, some customers may move to a "safe" brand and like the idea of less weight. Sony appears to be on an upward trajectory.
To take my own case. Rarely use A-mount these days. My A58 & old A700 are languishing together with 10-24 Tamron, 16-80 Zeiss, 70-300 Tamron and 18-270 Tamron. Now carry only A100M3 or that together with A6000 with Sony 10-18 W/A, 16-50 pancake and 55-210 zoom. They will do all I require of my camera gear.
classiccameras
Viceroy

Unread post by classiccameras »

About right in my view, not for me either, but there is no doubt Canikon will eventually respond, they have to, to survive. My A mount is just one A37, Sony 18-55, kit Sony 18-135, Minolta 24-85 and a Konica 17-35, but like you, they only see the light of day occasionally. My main carry any where camera now is a Olympus EM-10 with a 14-42 kit lens, and contemplating building a modest system round M/4/3, but no decision yet

Canon have already joined the CSC club with the EOS M5 being the latest model and that may be a sign of things to come, its not a bad camera and the lenses are pretty good too, but not enough choice so far. We await to see how Nikon respond, I think we are in for some interesting times ahead
bfitzgerald

This is just my own take but the concept of buying into an ILC system isn't attractive at all for many buyers. The adapter route is the main appeal by a large margin. With the kit I have it would be insane to try to replace that with native ILC lenses and extremely costly as well.

So for many the pull is a body you can use with your existing lenses you can move around with bodies but you are stuck once you buying into an existing ILC mount they cannot be used on other mounts. In a lot of cases E mount lenses are larger than A mount equivalents so I don't really buy into the smaller is better argument. No point having big lenses on a small body. Micro 4/3 is a bit different they are smaller so they have a niche for that segment. I wouldn't rule out E Mount entirely but as of yet they don't really have anything that I find appealing. I think Sony are trying but the open mount will long term might hurt them. They seem to be compensating with very high prices on lenses.