How Much Exposure Error Can Be Made With The Fuji X-T2 And The Olympus E-M1 Mark II And Still Have A Usable Image?

For all talk about digital compacts or EVF-SLRs in the Minolta, Konica Minolta or relevant Sony ranges
bakubo
Tower of Babel

How Much Exposure Error Can Be Made With The Fuji X-T2 And The Olympus E-M1 Mark II And Still Have A Usable Image?

Unread post by bakubo »

This photographer uses the Fuji X-T2 and Olympus E-M1 II. I stumbled across his blog recently. From what I have read in some of his articles he prefers the user experience with separate, traditional mechanical control knobs of the Fuji, but uses the Olympus for situations where it's performance and characteristics are needed. Anyway, he did a 3 part article about exposure latitude comparing the 2 cameras here:

How Much Exposure Error Can Be Made With The Fuji X-T2 And The Olympus E-M1 Mark II And Still Have A Usable Image? Part I of III

http://www.thewanderinglensman.com/2017 ... -made.html

How Much Exposure Error Can Be Made With The Fuji X-T2 And The Olympus E-M1 Mark II And Still Have A Usable Image? Part II of III

http://www.thewanderinglensman.com/2017 ... ade_1.html

How Much Exposure Error Can Be Made With The Fuji X-T2 And The Olympus E-M1 Mark II And Still Have A Usable Image? Part III of III; Wrapup And Summary

http://www.thewanderinglensman.com/2017 ... -made.html

I was a bit surprised to find that the Olympus M4/3 camera's sensor out performed the Fuji's APS-C sized sensor when it comes to exposure latitude. This is not a comment on the subjective, such as the "look" of any particular image, color, sharpness, detail or otherwise, just that the E-M1 Mark II has greater latitude in bringing images back from the precipice than does the Fuji.

Fuji's 24mp sensor is larger and the size of the individual pixels is 3.9 microns while Olympus' 20mp M4/3 sensor has pixels which measure 3.3 microns. Fuji's sensor is 368 mm² while Olympus produces sensors which are 243 mm². That is a difference of 66% in Fui's favor. Additionally, Fuji has an advantage of 18.1% in pixel size. Fuji's advantages should result in better light gathering abilities, noise and overall image quality. But maybe an 18% difference in pixel size and a 66% difference in sensor sizes are statistically insignificant. I just don't know. In all respects it seems the Fuji should perform better. You would think?

I found the Fuji X-Trans III Pro sensor has a (subjective to my judgment) latitude of 2 1/3 stops overexposure and 4 1/3 stops underexposure. That isn't shabby by any measure.

I found the Olympus TruPic VIII sensor has (again in my subjective judgment) a latitude of 3 1/3 stops overexpsoure and 4 2/3 stops underexposure. That is simply amazing to me.

I found that I could pull out the same quality of image on the Olympus even with a 1 1/3 stops more overall exposure error than the Fuji.

This leads me to conclude the new Olympus sensor and processor has a significantly higher dynamic range—1.33 stops more—than the Fuji X-Trans III sensor. Again, I"m a bit surprised by this. Also, don't forget, image quality is a very subjective thing and even though the Olympus pulls more out of any particular file when the exposure is way off, I still like the Fuji colors and "look" better at this point.

The dynamic range of these two sensors is really close to the sensors on my previously owned Nikon D800E and D810. The two Nikons will still outperform these, but not by much.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Re: How Much Exposure Error Can Be Made With The Fuji X-T2 And The Olympus E-M1 Mark II And Still Have A Usable Image?

Unread post by bakubo »

These days the noise, DR, etc. of current cameras, even 1" sensor, m4/3 sensor, etc. seem pretty good compared to APS-C sensors of a few years ago. For me it is rarely even something I think about anymore.
classiccameras
Viceroy

Re: How Much Exposure Error Can Be Made With The Fuji X-T2 And The Olympus E-M1 Mark II And Still Have A Usable Image?

Unread post by classiccameras »

I gave up worrying about sensor size, and I put away any prejudiced I had for small sensors and got me a Lumix XZ330, Yes, small sensor but sharp pictures with good DR and very little noise. I have to agree about the Olympus, I have used a EM-10 for a couple of years and I feel the M/4/3 sensor out performs on occasions APS-C.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

classiccameras wrote:I gave up worrying about sensor size, and I put away any prejudiced I had for small sensors and got me a Lumix XZ330, Yes, small sensor but sharp pictures with good DR and very little noise. I have to agree about the Olympus, I have used a EM-10 for a couple of years and I feel the M/4/3 sensor out performs on occasions APS-C.
Yes, that is why I started this thread in June 2010:

Tiny sensor revenge gallery thread!

http://www.photoclubalpha.com/forum/vie ... =17&t=4195

I still use my Canon S95 1/1.7" 10mp sometimes since it is so small. I also still have my wonderful Canon G16 1/1.7" 12mp, but haven't used it for the last year or so.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

classiccameras wrote:I gave up worrying about sensor size, and I put away any prejudiced I had for small sensors and got me a Lumix XZ330, Yes, small sensor but sharp pictures with good DR and very little noise.
Also, see this thread:

The Digicams that Roared

http://www.photoclubalpha.com/forum/vie ... =17&t=8709

The Canon G16 with the 1/1.7" 12mp sensor, 28-140mm f1.8-2.8 lens, sturdy construction, pretty fast AF, etc. would have been a fantasy camera for some of the photographers that took many of the famous, classic photos we know.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

classiccameras wrote:I gave up worrying about sensor size, and I put away any prejudiced I had for small sensors and got me a Lumix XZ330, Yes, small sensor but sharp pictures with good DR and very little noise. I have to agree about the Olympus, I have used a EM-10 for a couple of years and I feel the M/4/3 sensor out performs on occasions APS-C.
David Muench, the famous landscape photographer, is well known for his use of 4x5 view cameras, but he started using digicams several years ago. He writes about using a Canon PowerShot G10 and Panasonic Lumix FZ50 in 2010:

http://www.outdoorphotographer.com/colu ... light.html

Panasonic Lumix FZ50: 10.1mp, 1/1.8" sensor, 35-420mm lens
Canon PowerShot G10: 14.7mp, 1/1.7" sensor, 28-140mm lens

And then in a 2014 article he talks about using a Canon PowerShot SX50 HS and Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70:

http://www.outdoorphotographer.com/loca ... oment.html

Canon PowerShot SX50 HS: 12.1mp, 1/2.3" sensor, 24-1200mm lens, $349.00 at B&H
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70: 16mp, 1/2.3" sensor, 20-1200mm lens, $297.99 at B&H

I see that he flirted with big sensor cameras such as the Canon G10, but then decided to go for smaller. :lol:

And then this 2015 article about his continued use of digicams for landscape photography:

http://www.outdoorphotographer.com/loca ... g-sky.html

He is still using the Canon PowerShot SX50 HS and Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70.

I haven't seen anything written about how David Muench makes use of the digicams that he has been using the last few years for his landscape photography. My guess, just a common sense guess, is that he uses the lowest ISO setting and shoots raw. It would be cool to see some of his digicam prints at a gallery.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

It is surprising because the Fuji's do have good DR at least the older ones I used no complaints there. But I've very little experience of micro 4/3 so if it's doing that well people will be pleased. I've nothing against users who go for those cheaper cameras they've improved a lot since I used the FZ-5 (DR was a problem then), you can get decent quality from some of them.

On the DR note I see Canon are getting slapped about badly for the 6D MkII for DR it's evidently worse than the MkI which is pretty shocking. I've used the 5d MKIII and that is destroyed for DR by my not that up to date APS-C cameras big difference very obvious using it and processing the files, great in low light high ISO..poor for DR by my standards I wouldn't touch it purely on that. Think the MkIV is better and to be blunt it needs to be. Point being I think is the corny phrase "good enough" for dynamic range. The KM5d frustrated me with that, the more recent ones are probably a couple of stops better if not a little more which puts them into the "you won't have issues real world shooting" with these cameras. This is the reason I've not bothered updating the 57/77 cameras they do an acceptable job in low light (granted nothing great but fine with faster lenses), and the DR is good on both.