canon-contax-zeiss??

Discussion of all digital SLR cameras under the Minolta and Konica Minolta brands
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
picman
Heirophant

canon-contax-zeiss??

Unread post by picman »

Someone over at the Leica User Forum in a thread concerning the price of the S2 system said " ... if it is true that Canon has bought the Contax assembly line and the rights to Zeiss lenses ...".

Where does this rumor come from? If it is really true then that might have consequences on the Sony-Zeiss relationship. Sony would then no longer be the only player with Zeiss lenses in its portfolio.

Cheers, Bob.
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: canon-contax-zeiss??

Unread post by Dusty »

First of all, rumors pop up all the time that have no basis in fact, or come about because someone made a leap in logic based upon one fact. "Canon bought the old Contax factory, so it follows that they must have access to all the lens technology, too."

Buying the rights to Zeiss lenses? I think not. First, buying the rights would imply that Zeiss no longer has those rights. Not very likely. Also, whenever you buy rights to something that are encumbered - i.e., the seller has an agreement with a third party - that encumbrance must still be honored.

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
picman
Heirophant

Unread post by picman »

Dusty wrote:First of all, rumors pop up all the time that have no basis in fact, or come about because someone made a leap in logic based upon one fact.

"Canon bought the old Contax factory, so it follows that they must have access to all the lens technology, too."

Buying the rights to Zeiss lenses? I think not. First, buying the rights would imply that Zeiss no longer has those rights. Not very likely. Also, whenever you buy rights to something that are encumbered - i.e., the seller has an agreement with a third party - that encumbrance must still be honored.

Dusty
I quoted exactly what was said, I never stated I believed it. I just asked if someone has any information about this. If I understand you correctly you have no further information either, unless your sentence "Canon bought the old Contax factory, so it follows that they must have access to all the lens technology, too." means you know the first part of that sentence to be a fact. Do you :?: :D
picman
Heirophant

Unread post by picman »

Thanks Sonolta, I rather knew what you said. I try to keep abreast of these things, being a Contax owner :D . That info on the Zeiss site has been there for years. I look from time to time in the hope of some change :(

Some more info: I asked the person who made that comment on the Leica forum where he got his info. Apparently he has it from a canon site and he quoted in full what was said there:

"PhotoMark in Arizona where a big PhotoExpo is currently on-going. Canon rep claimed they just purchased the Contax assembly line and the exclusive rights to the Zeiss line-up of lenses. The rumored intent of course is for a Canon MF sized sensor in a Contax architecture. Apparently this could happen quickly (as in, steal some of Leica's thunder)"

Well it could all just be rumors but sure sound intriguing. I guess we'll have to wait and see :?: :wink:

Cheers, Bob.
PhotoTraveler
Grand Caliph

Unread post by PhotoTraveler »

This is a rumor that has been going on for a long time. Along with a rumor about Canon and Leica teaming up.

It's just Canon folks trying to get some native German Glass for themselves.
picman
Heirophant

Unread post by picman »

Sonolta wrote:Even if the Kyocera contract has expired (as some have reported), and even if Canon did purchased a Contax plant/factory/line or whatever, any *exclusive rights* are not going to include ALL Zeiss lens products and therefore would/should not impact the Sony-Zeiss relationship on 35MM format lenses.

-Sonolta
Yes that is certainly a good point, and fortunately so I would say! It would be good if Zeiss could keep a strong commitment to the Sony line. I remember when Contax started, from day one there was a really fine collection of about 15 lenses available, that steadily grew to more than 25 lenses (if my memory does not fail me).

Cheers, Bob.
A1000

Unread post by A1000 »

Zeiss in lenses is basically just the name and a design team. The lens manufacturing, after WW2 remained in Jena, East Germany. Zeiss was not successful in acquiring this facility after the fall of Communism.

Zeiss licenses its name, contracts out lens manufacturing, etc.

Zeiss and Alpha G lenses are made in the same facility, to the same standards.

Sony was going to acquire Contax from Kyocera before it bought KM camera division.

The Japanese are able to make better quality of lenses than Zeiss, but it would not be economically feasible. The Japanese have better optical talent than Zeiss.
bossel
Viceroy

Unread post by bossel »

A1000 wrote:The Japanese are able to make better quality of lenses than Zeiss, but it would not be economically feasible. The Japanese have better optical talent than Zeiss.
Don't let the Germans hear that!
A1000

Unread post by A1000 »

Zeiss and Leica are just like Rolls Roys and Bentley, under whose fancy names is BMW and VW. Just like underneath German optics is nothing more than Yashica, Cosina, Minolta, Sony, Kyocera, Meopta, Fuji, and who knows who else makes this "German" famous brand stuff.

Just like German electronics, also German photographic industry fame is surviving only because the Japanese are so bad in marketing and building up their own image. If they were just a little better, German optics names would not get past museums, swap meets, flea markets, and no one would use it to take pictures.
Last edited by A1000 on Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
picman
Heirophant

Unread post by picman »

A1000 wrote:Zeiss and Leica are just like Rolls Roys and Bentley, under whose fancy names is BMW and VW. Just like underneath German optics is nothing more than Yashica, Cosina, Minolta, Sony, Kyocera, Meopta, Fuji, and who knows who else makes this pre-Nzi, Nazi, and post-Nazi era famous brand stuff.

Just like German electronics, also German photographic industry fame is surviving only because the Japanese are so bad in marketing and building up their own image. If they were just a little better, German optics names would not get past museums, swap meets, flea markets, and no one, except some neo Nazi sympathisers would use to use it to take pictures.

Besides being totally stupid and incorrect, I find this kind of talk totally inadmissible and unforgivable. Since the buildup of their image is just as strong for Japanese firms as for German firms you have just accused everyone who likes and uses Zeiss or Leica optics of actually being neo-nazis.
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

Sonolta wrote:Even if the Kyocera contract has expired (as some have reported), and even if Canon did purchased a Contax plant/factory/line or whatever, any *exclusive rights* are not going to include ALL Zeiss lens products and therefore would/should not impact the Sony-Zeiss relationship on 35MM format lenses.

-Sonolta
I spoke (only 5 minutes...) with a Zeiss Rep at the Photo Plus Expo last October -the booth was full of Nikon and Canon users trying to see closer the lenses (all manual focus) they make. I asked about those manual lenses on Alpha mount and about the Rep told me that the collaboration with Sony is on AF lenses, so they won't bring manual lenses for the A mount, but they won't bring AF lenses for other mount that the A mount either.

In other hand, I don't find any interest for Canon to buy "Contax facilities"

Regards
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A1000

Unread post by A1000 »

I don't think there was any Contax facility. It was Yashica facility that Kyocera owned and it must be pretty outdated. It made Yashica and Contax products.
youpii
Heirophant

Unread post by youpii »

I'd like one of the big three to buy Voigtlander, it had many great designs that went discontinued.
picman
Heirophant

Unread post by picman »

pakodominguez wrote:
Sonolta wrote: In other hand, I don't find any interest for Canon to buy "Contax facilities"

Regards
I totally agree, that's why I find this bit of rumor so strange. On the other hand, the contract with Kyocera has to expire soon I think, and from the Zeiss site there is this inuendo that they are waiting for that to happen before deciding what to do ... Strange times indeed!
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

A1000 has had a warning and was asked to delete or edit the offending post (not done). The German photographic industry, working with the Swiss, rescued many thousand of Jews from the Nazis, and provided Britain, the USA and other countries with many of their postwar photo industry entrepreneurs. Focal Press, Photopia (the UK original Minolta importers, aka Japanese Cameras), Picture Post, many agencies, repair shops, and other businesses were founded by refugees.

So not only is the post offensive, it is also incorrect. Only last year Leica were recognised:

http://www.adl.org/PresRele/HolNa_52/4975_52.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The exact reverse of A1000's version of history.

David