Minolta Dimage Scan Dual film scanner

The Photoclubalpha team will provide answers but anyone who knows the gen can offer theirs too
Tim Higgison
Acolyte

Minolta Dimage Scan Dual film scanner

Unread post by Tim Higgison »

Good Day,

A wee while back I bought a new desk top running on Windows XP, previous one running on Windows ME.

I loaded the software for the scanner, ( Vr 1.1), but when trying to access it via Photoshop the following message appeared:

"An unexpecte error has occurred. Stop processing".

On pressing "return" the following appeared:

"Could not complete command because there is no scanner installed".

This puzzles me as the film scanner is first on the SCSI chain and my old Astra 600S is last and can be accessed by Photoshop.

Has anyone got any suggestions to help me to get my film scanner back on line as my wife's library of film is mainly on APS and the Dcan Dual's APS cartridge is essential for accessing these negs.

Many thanks,

Tim Higgison
AndyG
Acolyte

Unread post by AndyG »

The original Scan Dual isn't necessarily XP compatible, as I found out myself :-(

The earlier ROM versions are the problem. I did get a very informative reply on the subject from Paul Genge at Minolta UK back in early 2004 - the key bit for determining whether this is your problem reads:
Some early examples of Dimage Scan Dual may require a ROM update internally this requires the installation of new parts and extensive testing. This carries a workshop charge of £113.97 inc VAT. Scanners from 1997 - late 98 will require this service. Scanners from late 98 onwards were manufactured as compatible with Mac G3, the box would have carried a sticker to this effect. Minolta does not have a list of serial numbers that can confirm this as the serial number use was non consecutive during the products long life. You can also check the version of the ROM in your scanner if you have connection to the scanner with an earlier version of Windows than XP, e.g. Windows 98SE. Connect the scanner, Launch the Software in the normal manner and then place the mouse on the Minolta logo in the top left corner (see ROM Version image below). If the ROM is version 1.0 or 1.01 then the scanner is not Windows XP compatible and will require the update mentioned above. If the ROM version is 1.10 or 1.11 then the scanner is Windows XP compatible, please continue

Originally I managed to get decent scans using Vuescan rather than the Minolta drivers but lately I'd been getting poor scan quality. Before I bottomed the problem I gave in and bought a San Elite 5400 while I still could (not a lot of use for APS I know but it solved my problem).

What I never figured out, despite the day job involving electronic hardware, is precisely why the operating system/ROM combination could have such an effect on a SCSI device.

Hope this helps,

Andy
Tim Higgison
Acolyte

Unread post by Tim Higgison »

Andy,

Many thanks for your time in replying.

I had a wee chat with the 'Nice Man' at Photostore-uk and he pointed me in the direction of http://www.konicaminoltasupport.com and on there I found version 2.0.1E which when downloaded and run my film scanner is now back working.

All the best,

Tim Higgison
AndyG
Acolyte

Unread post by AndyG »

Glad you got it sorted - better a driver upgrade than an incompatible ROM :-)

Cheers,

Andy