XP with Lightroom 2

From RAW conversion to image editing and printing
chorleyjeff
Initiate

XP with Lightroom 2

Unread post by chorleyjeff »

Advice please.
I have a trial version of LR on my laptop and it works fine with Visto Home Basic and 2 GB of RAM.
However my Desktop PC which I use for editing doesn't have an internet connection so I can't trial LR on it.
Question is whether my Desktop running XP with 512mb ram would work OK with LR, or with 1GB ram if I upgraded. I know that Adobe specify minimum system requirements - but according to that Vista home basic shouldn't run it. PSE6 runs OK on my desktop PC
I would like to buy LR2 and use it with my desktop but don't want to waste money if they are incompatible.
Cheers
Jeff
01af
Imperial Ambassador

Re: XP with Lightroom 2

Unread post by 01af »

chorleyjeff wrote:... my desktop PC which I use for editing doesn't have an Internet connection so I can't trial Lightroom on it.
Huh? Of course you can. Copy Lightroom's installation file onto an USB stick or a CD-R and connect/insert that to your desktop PC.

-- Olaf
harvey
Oligarch

Unread post by harvey »

The system requirements say 1GB so I would be tempted just to get more RAM for the desktop. Try
Crucial to get an idea of the cost and hopefully advice on
what your upgrade options are. If you are worried then ask Adobe or whoever you want to purchase from
and if they tell you 1GB is ok and the software does not work you can send it back.

I don't understand the "incompatible" concern. You can install on both the Laptop and Desktop. There was an
issue in updating rev 1 catalogs to 2 but that is a minor thing.

Harvey
chorleyjeff
Initiate

01af wrote:
chorleyjeff wrote:... my desktop PC which I use for editing doesn't have an Internet connection so I can't trial Lightroom on it.
Huh? Of course you can. Copy Lightroom's installation file onto an USB stick or a CD-R and connect/insert that to your desktop PC.

-- Olaf
Before posting I had tried copying via USB stick. Does not work. Message that the application configuration is incorrect comes up. Tried the various options in the configuration screen.
Would not be logical for Adobe to enable a transfer to a non internet PC - how would you validate the licence?
However I have to admit that I don't know what or where the installation file is. I just copied the file from the C drive to the stick then copied from the stick to the PC C disk.
Cheers
Jeff
chorleyjeff
Initiate

harvey wrote:The system requirements say 1GB so I would be tempted just to get more RAM for the desktop. Try
Crucial to get an idea of the cost and hopefully advice on
what your upgrade options are. If you are worried then ask Adobe or whoever you want to purchase from
and if they tell you 1GB is ok and the software does not work you can send it back.

I don't understand the "incompatible" concern. You can install on both the Laptop and Desktop. There was an
issue in updating rev 1 catalogs to 2 but that is a minor thing.

Harvey
I got 256mb RAM from Crucial to upgrade to 512mb. Upgrading again would not be a problem.
Adobe specify a Pentium 4 as the minimum necessary processor. My PC has an Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.53 GHz.
I agree I should ask Adobe but I suppose they will not disagree with what is said on their website.
Apologies for careless use of the word incompatible. I really meant "will it work with".
On reflection I guess I should have asked if LR2 will work OK with my Celeron CPU.
Cheers
Jeff
harvey
Oligarch

Unread post by harvey »

The obvious thing to do is to get the trial LR2 on the desktop so you can see for yourself if there are any issues. Note that if you have issues with no internet connection now then this will affect your ability to get updates unless you get used to downloading to the laptop and then moving the installer/updater to the desktop.

You can go to the Adobe site and download a trial version. It looks like you need an Adobe ID to do so. The files I have are named like the following:

LTRM2_WWEFG_win_2_3.exe

This was a downloaded update (~132MB) but I think the update is really a full installer. Once you download it then transfer that file to the desktop via USB stick. I'm sure you will be able to license without an internet connection by phoning Adobe if you need to.

Also I think the license lets you run on a desktop and a laptop as long as you do not use both at the same time.

Harvey
chorleyjeff
Initiate

harvey wrote:The obvious thing to do is to get the trial LR2 on the desktop so you can see for yourself if there are any issues. Note that if you have issues with no internet connection now then this will affect your ability to get updates unless you get used to downloading to the laptop and then moving the installer/updater to the desktop.

You can go to the Adobe site and download a trial version. It looks like you need an Adobe ID to do so. The files I have are named like the following:

LTRM2_WWEFG_win_2_3.exe

This was a downloaded update (~132MB) but I think the update is really a full installer. Once you download it then transfer that file to the desktop via USB stick. I'm sure you will be able to license without an internet connection by phoning Adobe if you need to.

Also I think the license lets you run on a desktop and a laptop as long as you do not use both at the same time.

Harvey
I have tried transfer the file using a USB stick. It was the first thing I tried.
Having downloaded one trial version (only 604 days to go!) I can't download another - I guess Adobe reckon one trial is enough.
If I could transfer the programme to my PC and make it work I wouldn't have posed the question in the first place.
Cheers
Jeff
harvey
Oligarch

Unread post by harvey »

chorleyjeff wrote:
I have tried transfer the file using a USB stick. It was the first thing I tried.
Having downloaded one trial version (only 604 days to go!) I can't download another - I guess Adobe reckon one trial is enough.
If I could transfer the programme to my PC and make it work I wouldn't have posed the question in the first place.
Cheers
Jeff
Exactly what happened?
Did the installation run through ok or is that where you get errors about the application configuration?

Harvey
chorleyjeff
Initiate

harvey wrote:
chorleyjeff wrote:
Cheers
Jeff
Exactly what happened?
Did the installation run through ok or is that where you get errors about the application configuration?

Harvey
The programme seemed to load OK on to the PC. When I tried to open the programme numerous folders, including the develop etc modules and the usual launch icon, appeared on screen. When I tried to run the programme from the LR icon or tried to open the develop module I got the configuration error message.
Thanks for the interest.
Cheers
Jeff
harvey
Oligarch

Unread post by harvey »

chorleyjeff wrote: The programme seemed to load OK on to the PC. When I tried to open the programme numerous folders, including the develop etc modules and the usual launch icon, appeared on screen. When I tried to run the programme from the LR icon or tried to open the develop module I got the configuration error message.
Thanks for the interest.
Cheers
Jeff
I found a few references to configuration errors via google search and adobe site search. Could be that
low memory really does make a difference or the PC has got out of date with updates or service packs (the
system requirements are minimum XP SP2).

Not a good situation because even if Adobe would assist with a trial version they won't do so if the system does
not meed the minimum requirements. Adding more RAM might not make any difference.

If your error message is specific enough some web searching might get you somewhere.

Harvey
chorleyjeff
Initiate

harvey wrote:
chorleyjeff wrote: The programme seemed to load OK on to the PC. When I tried to open the programme numerous folders, including the develop etc modules and the usual launch icon, appeared on screen. When I tried to run the programme from the LR icon or tried to open the develop module I got the configuration error message.
Thanks for the interest.
Cheers
Jeff
I found a few references to configuration errors via google search and adobe site search. Could be that
low memory really does make a difference or the PC has got out of date with updates or service packs (the
system requirements are minimum XP SP2).

Not a good situation because even if Adobe would assist with a trial version they won't do so if the system does
not meed the minimum requirements. Adding more RAM might not make any difference.

If your error message is specific enough some web searching might get you somewhere.

Harvey
Thanks for your help.
Cheers
Jeff