New from East Yorkshire

Introduce yourself and meet fellow Photoclubalpha members
Gordon McGeachie
Acolyte

New from East Yorkshire

Unread post by Gordon McGeachie »

Hi.

I would like to introduce myself, but have already done that in another room, should have looked first.

Please feel free to take a look at my flickr site and leave comments good or bad.
Old Photographers Never Die, They Just Go Out Of focus

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gordon_mcgeachie/
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Hi Gordon. A great impression of England, and fine Dynax 7D shots - never knew Hull could be that interesting :-) Good use of the Sigma 10-20mm as well, and the low light ISO 800 capability of the 6 megapixel sensor.

David
Gordon McGeachie
Acolyte

Thanks David.

I heard about the 7d coming out when I had a case full of 35mm kit, I decided that I would wait and then just change the body.

Since going digital, I changed some of my lenses and then sold my 7xi to a family friend.

I just want to get the A700 (with the grip) next and a Sigma 18-50 EX and maybe the Sony 500 mirror ( for wildlife)of the Sigma 170-500 ( for airshows).

What is your view on these two lenses?

David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

The mirror is great but strangely limited. You have so little control, and I have never found mine to be especially sharp. The Sigma 50-500mm is a far better bet than any other choice, especially teamed with a Sigma 18-50mm, but of course the 170-500mm is far lower in price. It is not as good, despite having a less ambitious specification.

David
Omega892
Oligarch

Unread post by Omega892 »

David Kilpatrick wrote:The Sigma 50-500mm is a far better bet than any other choice, David
I have one of those, known as the 'Bigma' in some circles and when trying to chase aircraft around the sky with that one understands why. It is arm-achingly heavy and tends to hunt if you move off-target. Thus I find manual focusing better and wish it were a one touch for zoom and focus.
'Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.' - Benjamin Franklin
Gordon McGeachie
Acolyte

I think the `bigma` is a bit out of my money range.

My biggest lens at the moment is the Sigma 400 f5.6 bought back in 1990, and I thought the zoom would fill the gap from 300-500.( I have the Sigma 28-300)

I had the Tamron 500 mirror when I had my Minolta X700`s, it was ajoy to use hand held when used with the MD1 drive attached.