Advice for Holiday lens

Discussion of lenses, brand or independent, uses and merits
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Johnc
Initiate

Advice for Holiday lens

Unread post by Johnc »

Contrary to many members, my photographic interest is not professional so I send more time on the forum reading (learning :) than posting.

We're off on a touring trip to China soon and trying to decide which lens to take. For weight reasons, (pleasure of modern flying these days) I would like to limited it to two if possible.
Inventory is:
Tamron 18-250mm
Tamron 17-50mm
Tamron 90mm macro
CZ 16-80mm

My initial inclination was to go with the 17-50 and 18-250, but I am wondering about the 16-80 to replace the 17-50 (mainly for indoors). However the 17-50 is faster.

So I wonder what the boffs and pros can advise me?

Thanks
John

Have also invested in a Netbook to store images, and if possible, may decide to keep a blogg going.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: Advice for Holiday lens

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

I've travelled all over and only on the very last trip did I take an f/2.8 zoom. I would go for the CZ 16-80mm, simply because it's going to return you the best quality images from an expensive trip and that extra 2mm on the wide end (or the extra 1mm over the Tamron) can work for you. This leaves a gaping hole at the long end. I thought about your outfit, and worked out that I would probably get hold of a 2X converter - the Teleplus MC7 2X DG which I use seems very good. This has no use with the 16-80mm, but it could be used with the 90mm, producing a pretty neat 180mm f5.6 (or if your macro if an f/2.5 older version, f5). I would lay odds on the Tamron + Teleplus producing as much real detail at a working aperture of f/8 (one stop down) as the 18-250mm produces at f/8.

You would get the benefit of having the macro for portraits, 90mm landscapes (a great focal length), flowers, objects. The converter takes up almost zero space. And used on the macro you get a potentially rather amazing 2:1 magnification, not that this would be a priority when travelling.

David
bonneville
Grand Caliph

Unread post by bonneville »

Hi John

Not a pro, far from it but FWIW I had a long haul to Jamaica earlier this year and took the following:

a700
Sony 18-250
Sony 70-300 G SSM (actually my wife carried that :lol: )
Sigma 70 2.8 macro & Sigma 1.4 TC (APO EX DG)

The big G, although a brilliant lens was not suitable for that trip, especially with so much sand about, so I didn't use it much.

The 18-250 was my walkabout and produced some really good images

The 70 with TC (as David has suggested) was great for candids and flora and fauna and this is one of them:

Hope this helps, have a great trip, bring back lots of pictures, show some of them here :D

Brian
Links to my: Flickr Blog Twitter
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

I would go for the 18-250mm and then you would only need the one lens -- but it would still be good to take a second lens as a backup. Or you could take the 16-80mm and maybe add the inexpensive Tamron 55-200mm or Sigma 70-300mm APO.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

bonneville wrote:
The 70 with TC (as David has suggested) was great
OK, this is more than interesting. The 2X TC, like the Sony models, can not be used with lenses other than a limited range of long apos.

From what you say, the 1.4X Sigma TC does not have the same interfering element which prevents mounting on other lenses.

If so, the new HSM version - 1.4X, which I do not have - might fit the 70-300mm SSM. That would be really interesting, as the AF will still function on the 70-300mm SSM when the Teleplus Pro 300 DG 1.4X is fitted. It is flaky - unreliable at 300mm +TC - and fails to report the conversion to EXIF. But the Sigma HSM converter should report correctly, and adjust the focusing speed properly to allow consistent focus lock.

Anyone around who can test a new HSM 1.4X Sigma converter with this and other lenses? Or do I need to get one?

David
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

I'd have to go with the 16-80 over the 17-50, if just for the marginal wide angle advantage. I think when all is said and done, you'll regret it if you don't have your widest possible range of focal lengths. If you really crave some speed though, throw a 50/1.7 in the bag...I never travel without mine.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

You haven't said if you would be willing to buy any new lenses so assuming you aren't I suggest taking the 18-250mm and 16-80mm. You could decide when you get there which you want to be your main lens and which is the backup. Another advantage to taking these two lenses is that not only can one be the backup of the other in case one is lost, stolen, or damaged, but they sort of complement each other. The 16-80mm gives you just a bit wider view and the 18-250mm gives you a much longer view. If you are willing to buy something then see my earlier post or take the 18-250mm and add a Sony/Tamron 11-18mm or Sigma 10-20mm. I travel a lot with a backpack so size and weight are very important to me too. With the A700 I take the Sony 18-250mm, Sony 11-18mm, and Minolta 50mm f1.7. Photos on my website.
bonneville
Grand Caliph

David Kilpatrick wrote:OK, this is more than interesting. The 2X TC, like the Sony models, can not be used with lenses other than a limited range of long apos.

From what you say, the 1.4X Sigma TC does not have the same interfering element which prevents mounting on other lenses.

David
David

I had never considered trying the Sigma TC 1.4 on my Minolta 300 f4 but having found the Sony TC x2 fitted without AF I just gave it a go. Hey presto, it worked brilliantly (and even shows the original F stop in the viewfinder).

I've hastily shot these to illustrate what I have:

Sig 70 f2.8 fitted with Sig TC 1.4

Same but seperated

and again
bonneville
Grand Caliph

.....and now

open wide, the Minolta 300 f4

the Sony 70-300 with rectangular opening

and again

so the Sigma TC 1.4 APO EX DG I have will not fit the Sony 70-300. I don't know what the new version looks like but hope this helps in some way. Or have I completely missed the point :?

Brian
bonneville
Grand Caliph

Photoclubalpha forums friends:

Please ignore the quality of the above pictures of lenses. Moral: never take pictures after the lion's share of a bottle of Shiraz, it plays havoc with the skill adjustments :lol:
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

It's all down the diameter and position of the element in the 1.4X - the 2X looks a bit bigger, and maybe as if it sticks forwards slightly more. It stands about 1mm proud of the flange face - does the 1.4X, or is it slightly recessed behind the flange surface?

I've asked for an HSM one on loan to check out. I also want to see how it goes with the 70-200mm HSM, I may buy it as well as the 2X.

David
Johnc
Initiate

Unread post by Johnc »

Thanks everyone - now I am more confused. :D
All good and good some ideas.

Just have enough time left to go get a 2x converter and play with the Tamrom 90 Macro. It is the 2.8 model, so that should be a plus. Thanks David - sound like a super idea.

It was always a toss up between the Tarmon 15-70 and the CZ16-80 and I will probably go for the 16-80.
I do also have a 50m 1.7 that I never even considered, but now will.
Guess it'll be 3 lens now, a converter so here we go for a new bad as well.

My wife has offered :D to carry the Netbook (1.2kg) in her little back-pack - so depending on weight maybe it's time for a new bag.
Quite a hobby!

I also saw a super jacket that has some 20 pockets - maybe I can slip a few lens in there instead of the bag, and beat the airline weight issue that way :idea:

BTW, what is FWIW?

I'll be more than happy to share the results and take it on the chin.

Thanks everyone
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

FWIW = For What It's Worth

FWIW, I always wondered why I pay the same for an airline ticket as a man who weighs 50 pounds more than me.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
bonneville
Grand Caliph

David Kilpatrick wrote:It's all down the diameter and position of the element in the 1.4X - the 2X looks a bit bigger, and maybe as if it sticks forwards slightly more. It stands about 1mm proud of the flange face - does the 1.4X, or is it slightly recessed behind the flange surface? David
On my Sigma TC x1.4 (which is not the latest HSM version) the element does stand about 1mm proud of the flange face, but it fits fine on the Min 300 f4 with full AF.

On the Sony TC x2, as you know, the element is flush and although it does fit the 300 it does not provide AF, but does AF of course on the SAL70200 f2.8

The Sigma TC x1.4 additionally works with AF on my Sigma 70 macro but on the SAL 70200 2.8 it fits but does not AF.

Hope this is of some value David.

Brian
braeside
Grand Caliph

Unread post by braeside »

I have been looking at possibly getting a 1.4X TC for my Sony 70-400G SSM lens. Over on Dyxum there was quite a discussion about suitable and unsuitable TCs, however I am still very unclear about what may work.

The 'dumb' converters that have no chip in them and basically pass all 8 electrical connections through transparently, may have an advantage in that the camera does not realise that it has lost an F stop and should not be able to Auto Focus with a slow lens, however they are at a disadvantage then because the SSS does not have true focal length info either.

On the other hand apparently, smart converters like the new Sigma HSM version do convert FL and Aperture, but according to one source don't appear to detect lenses not designed to work with that TC. Perhaps the chip in these TCs looks at the lens ID and decides if it is going to allow it to work or not?

I am looking for an original non-HSM i.e. Sigma APO DG 1.4 TC to test here, I have heard they do work with the 70-400G and do AF although slowly and need good light. I would also be prepared to try one of the HSM as well and just see what works and doesn't.
David