Nex Cameras as reviewed by DPReview

For discussion of the E and FE mount mirrorless system
Mark K
Grand Caliph

Nex Cameras as reviewed by DPReview

Unread post by Mark K »

Very bad indeed, a 64% scoring which is well below S90, or yes the EP1L, GF1 etc.

Curiously all the blames go to the user interface
bossel
Viceroy

Re: Nex Cameras as reviewed by DPReview

Unread post by bossel »

If it were the other way round (UI great, pics mediocre), they would say the greatest UI doesn't help when the pics aint good. :?

I had a very brief look into the forums, of course they've been critiqued (they'd be whatever they write :mrgreen: ) and their flappy (if not condescending) answers told me again it was a good decision not to spend a lot of time over there any more!!
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Mark K wrote:Very bad indeed, a 64% scoring which is well below S90, or yes the EP1L, GF1 etc.

Curiously all the blames go to the user interface
Ratings are by reviewers and since dpreview is a canonish site what would you expect? :wink:
Never believe in voting results. One of the greatest criminals in the history of our planet used to say: voters are not important, vote counters are.
I suppose you know who that is: Ioseb Jughashvili (Stalin) :evil:
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Mark K
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Mark K »

Having read the review, I did stop myself from having the two lens kit.... :mrgreen: I would love to know how good the upcoming Nex cameras are. Will there be a more conventional Nex7 or even Nex9?
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

A NEX-7... hmmm, seeing as how the whole concept of the camera is a new sort of bridge camera between P&S and real cameras I'm not sure how many people in that consumer bracket would want a more complex, more expensive one. There might be an unknown number of DSLR owners who would buy one though, especially if it had more user control and a better UI and response times, the limitation of no AF with standard A-mount lenses would turn me off it, but that might not be an issue for others so it would be difficult to predict how well it would sell, it would probably be an even bigger leap into the unkown for Sony than the NEX-3 and 5 already are. Sony will most likely see how the present ones do before developing the line further...but as we all know, it's very difficult to predict what Sony will do nex-t.
Greg
InTheSky
Viceroy

Unread post by InTheSky »

On my side, I always bring the A900 with my, because I want the best image/resolution for anything I can take on picture. That justify me to not have another Reflex digital body where the size will be just a little bit less than the A900 (compare to the Nex ...).

So ... If Sony bring me a Nex 7, with :
-> compatible flash mount
-> faster flash sync (at least 1/250)
-> and if possible a 1080p (Because I can tell you guys ... I have shot bird in fly this weekend ... and this is horrible to watch wings blurry compare to what you can achieved in progressive scan)

A little bit of more control (like a wheel in the front and back like the GR camera) and I will buy this camera anytime.

Why ?

I'm searching for a very small camera that I can bring with me anywhere, and when I want to do serious work I can put my alpha lenses on it ... and also bring it has a very tiny backup in case I have problem with my A900.

14MP it is enough for the moment and better than my A900 for macro work if I can combined it with my 200mm F4.0 and the twin flashes.

I'm looking at the Dpreview and they, I think putting too much on the user interface ... but in other way, this is a new way of using a camera ... and probably point and shot user will love it. For the moment the Nex 3 or 5 is better for my sister than a Nikon D5000 where she has never been able to film her daughters because she don't have the reflex to do the focus manually .

Regards,

Frank
Frank
A7 (R, S & R II) + NEX 3N ( and few lenses )
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Then, of course, there are entry level users like me who just stick the camera on ISO 200, raw, f/8, Aperture priority and shoot. Exposure compensation when needed is at the touch of one button then a dial, aperture change is just turn the dial when the shooting display is active. Movie is press movie button at any time. End of user interface issues.

David
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

I think there are some people a little bit scared by this new system. Otherwise i don't understand why DPR rushed their review by the launching date. I think no Minolta/Sony user expected a positive review from them (never happened before, why it will change now?) but the chosen date is mean to hurt Sony sales.

The more ridiculous part is their criticism about the 16mm kit: 24mm like is not the right lens for a kit. I was looking for some stuff at Thom Hogan website and I found this page: http://bythom.com/nikkor-lens-survey.htm the most popular prime lens for FX cameras is the 24mm *!

In other hand, probably they are right about the interface, too phone-like. As usual, I'll find out by myself the best way to make it work for my needs.

* after the 50mm f1.8
Last edited by pakodominguez on Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bfitzgerald

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

I'm wondering why so many are trying to defend some questionable choice in handling and design?
Is there any logical reason other than "I wanted it to be great"?

Maybe DPR were hard on it..but then I think the potential and concept were not exploited anywhere near as much as it could have been. Handling is pretty important. Sony would have been better off making it more appealing to enthusiasts..Auto mode works wonders for new shooters even on advanced cameras.
It does not even have an exposure mode dial..sometime even many compacts costing far less have. I'm a lot happier compacts have that now..the old menu dive for such a basic part of operation was ridiculous.
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Javelin »

regarless, they had a bad review and they made sure it was available for release day. every other camera comes out and then sometime later... maybe even months later gets reviewed by DPR. Also I see a lot more DPR staff over their defending their review instead of the few posts from the reviewer in question we have everyone from Phil on down.

All I ca say is once again the features it does have that aren;t avalable anywhere else don't get near the credit they should in their reviews. actualkly the pros and cons list is really a mess in this one
Mark K
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Mark K »

Having read the reviewer's replies to all threads about Nex review, he makes it very clear that, despite he knows the cameras are made for P&S users, he cannot stop himself by asking people NOT to choose NEX cameras. It looks me that the DxO's labs image quality database may be a more subjective score.
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by peterottaway »

The basic question to me is to what extent the UI is usable by those who buy one of these cameras. And how many of them will get upset because it doesn't provide enthusiast / pro level interface and controls ? Hell, how many of them have even used a Canon 50D, Nikon D 300 or a Sony A 700 and if they have have used anything more the the P mode ?

Are the camera controls understandable to someone brought up on a Playstation ,a smart phone or an iPod seems to be the point of comparison.
bfitzgerald

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Again I see some seriously flawed points here. So it's "ok" to make a dodgy handling camera with an iffy menu system because the target buyer is a newbie? Please..let's wake up a little here..

So newbies use a D300 or Canon 50d..should it have bad handling because of that?
Good design allows new and more experienced users to get along just fine..poor design hinders both. Sony are no Ipod/Iphone maker..Apple make desirable classy products with a simple user interface, Sony don't. An Ipod isn't a camera..a mobile phone isn't a camera either!
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by peterottaway »

No the NEX range and the new ( ? ) A 290 / 390 are not a phone or an iPod but they are just as much consumer goods. And most of the buying public expect to be able to use them with no more effort on their part to get a decent result.

This whole argument is similar to when Apple replaced Apple DOS with the Mac OS. So,so many of the techo freaks of the day sniffed down their MS-DOS or C P M noses at this " white goods " so called computer and OS.
InTheSky
Viceroy

Unread post by InTheSky »

peterottaway wrote: This whole argument is similar to when Apple replaced Apple DOS with the Mac OS. So,so many of the techo freaks of the day sniffed down their MS-DOS or C P M noses at this " white goods " so called computer and OS.
:-), you are now remembering me how often in that time I was typing : DIR /W , Attribute -r , etc :-), and also how I have to manger my config.sys to be able to have enough "K" of memory to run my software. (And I'm not talking about fighting with dip switch to do not have IRQ conflict :-) ).

Regards,

Frank
Frank
A7 (R, S & R II) + NEX 3N ( and few lenses )