Flowers 2011 (Photoclubalpha Flora)

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Flowers 2011 (Photoclubalpha Flora)

Unread post by Birma »

As it is a new year I hope that we can start a new Flower thread. So, I'd like to invite everybody to post any flower photographs they would like to share in this thread. Apparently to botanists a 'Flora' is a study of plants, and so this thread would become our Photoclubalpha photographic study of flowers for 2011 :D .

The subject of the thread is pretty open so please feel free to post any flower or plant related pictures, of any style here. Photographs don't have to have been taken in 2011, but it is always interesting to compare what is blooming around the globe during the year.

A big thank you to everyone who posted pictures in the 2010 thread here http://www.photoclubalpha.com/forum/vie ... =17&t=3727. It provided a very interesting view of what was flowering during a 12 month period.

Now, on to the flowers ...
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Re: Flowers 2011 (Photoclubalpha Flora)

Unread post by Birma »

To kick off the thread here is one of our house plants, and something I'm sure everyone is familiar with at this time of year, Poinsettia.
Poinsettia 1.jpg
(147.31 KiB) Downloaded 5622 times
Interestingly (and perhaps ironically for a flower thread!) I believe that the red 'petals' are actually leaves and the flower is the small green and yellow part at the centre of the red 'petals'.

Taken with A700, Tamron 60mm f/2, mounted on a Manfrotto 322RC2 Joystick Head. The 322RC2 is a new tripod head that I was lucky enough to receive from Santa :D .
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Thanks for starting the new Flowers thread, Birma! : ))

Now onto finding colourful and interesting subjects for this thread! Good kick-off with the Poinsettia.

Yildiz
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Wow nice red Birma. I meant to try and find time too get a couple of flower shots together for the new thread, but no luck so far.
Greg
ps. Actually that Poinsettia has a similar design to the Bangkok rose it seems, they both have petals that look a bit leafy, if a very different colour, and a little flower in the middle.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Thanks Greg :D . I looked up Bankock Rose and they are stunning plants, although not related. Hope the rainfall encourages the flowers with you.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

I didn't manage to find the time to go further afield in the search for flowers than around the yard, I guess you've seen most of these before.
Greg
A100 KM24-105 Bangkok Rose
DSC03317-1.jpg
DSC03317-1.jpg (72.41 KiB) Viewed 8719 times
another one
DSC03326.jpg
DSC03326.jpg (99.12 KiB) Viewed 8719 times
not sure
DSC03331.jpg
DSC03331.jpg (53.83 KiB) Viewed 8719 times
mvanrheenen

Unread post by mvanrheenen »

Nice flowers Greg! The last image is beautiful! Nice colors, light and flower to boot!

Not much growing here at the moment, kind of winter now :wink:
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Thanks Mark, there's a few flowers around the yard here and there but not massive amounts, probably too much water of late so the plants are possibly doing more growing than flowering. I guess you'll have some lovely tulips, among others, too take photos of in the spring.
Greg
mvanrheenen

Haha, another stereotype :lol: Not many of them around here in the wild I can tell you. Tulips are actually introduced here a few hundred years ago from Turkey :wink:

Don't have any clogs, don't use drugs and don't live in a windmill either hahaha :lol:
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

No clogs, no windmills and no Tulips what a sorry state of affairs that is....now I'm wondering if there are any dykes as well. :lol:
Greg

A100 KM24-105 A couple more
DSC03330.jpg
DSC03330.jpg (65.92 KiB) Viewed 8701 times
DSC03322.jpg
DSC03322.jpg (75.84 KiB) Viewed 8701 times
DSC03336.jpg
DSC03336.jpg (63.73 KiB) Viewed 8701 times
mvanrheenen

Haha, dykes are a plenty around here! Without them, half of our country wouldn't exist right now.

Wow, what a nice composition om the first image! It would have been even better if the flower with the butterfly was the only one in the rame, without the flowers in the right. Still good though!

I recognise that last one. That's the same one as my only submission to last years flower thread. A Hibiscus, if memory serves.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Thanks Mark, yeah I agree, I was looking for a down angle shot on the little central yellow flower and couldn't find one anywhere on the shrub, all too high, then I saw the butterfly, but I was sort of hemmed in in between the fence and the shrub just to get the camera on it and I knew if I bumped the shrub it'd be gone in an instant....and yep both 2nd and last are Hibiscusses :-)
Greg
david antony
Viceroy

Unread post by david antony »

Splendid showing of your garden Greg.
With the butterflies, birds, and all of these great flower
shots.

Healthy looking Poinsettia Birma. Nice start to the
2011 (Photoclubalpha Phlora) ;^)
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Lovely shots of colourful flowers, Greg. :D

I love the last post especially with that nice butterfly and the Hibiscus close-ups. Very bright and vibrant colours from your garden.

I have a bunch of Primroses that I shot yesterday.

Yildiz

Primula vulgaris / Primrose
WhitePrimrose-PrimulaVulgaris.jpg
(220.11 KiB) Downloaded 5526 times
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Thanks DA, that's high praise coming from you. Any luck your end with some pickies, or are things a bit bleak?
Greg