Second body file numbering

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
peterkarry060342
Acolyte

Second body file numbering

Unread post by peterkarry060342 »

If one owns two identical bodies (eg A700) how does one avoid the RAW/JPEG files from one camera being identical to some generated by the second camera ? One body may be at _DSC6111 and the other currently at _DSC6000 so I assume that this one will , after 111 actuations, have a file name that becomes _DSC6111 and seem to be the same when stored on the computer ?? Any suggestions please ?
[SiC]
Imperial Ambassador

Re: Second body file numbering

Unread post by [SiC] »

I don't remember the name of the SW, but the importer that comes with the Sony software can rename files upon import.
Would this work for you?

Otherwise you can store the photos from camera #2 on a temporary place first and use third party SW like IrfanView to rename the files.

BR,
/Zeb!
Sony A700, A580, Nex-5t, KM D7D & VC-7D, M Dynax 500si
KM 17-35 F2.8-4 D, M 50 F1.7 RS, M 135 F2.8, M 28-100 F3.5-5.6 D, M 100-200 F4.5, T 70-300 F4-5.6 Di USD, S 18-55 F3.5-5.6 SAM, S 18-70 F3.5-5.6
Sony hvl-f42s, Minolta 3600 HS D
Sony Z1C & Z2
UrsaMajor
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by UrsaMajor »

peterkarry060342 wrote:If one owns two identical bodies (eg A700) how does one avoid the RAW/JPEG files from one camera being identical to some generated by the second camera ? One body may be at _DSC6111 and the other currently at _DSC6000 so I assume that this one will , after 111 actuations, have a file name that becomes _DSC6111 and seem to be the same when stored on the computer ?? Any suggestions please ?
Before I transfer my files to the computer, I rename them by changing the first three characters of each file's name to something unique to each camera.

Specialized software exists to do this very easily, but I have not bothered with that approach. I just put the CF card in my card reader, open up a DOS Command Window, change the working directory to the appropriate location on the CF card, and then type " rename DSC*.* XXX*.* " (without the quotation marks) - where XXX is the unique 3-character identifier for the specific camera.

If you are not comfortable with the DOS command line - or if you are on a MAC or Linux system - with a brief search you can find specialized software that will do the same thing with no need for DOS skills. For example, although I have not used it myself, I have heard good things about a program called Downloader Pro, which will do automated renaming and automated transfer to specific folders on your computer. I'm confident that this is not the only program on the market with such capabilities, and I mention it only because I have seen it recommended by other people.

With best wishes,
- Tom -
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

Im using Sony's PMB importer and re-name each folder now as (date)-350, (date)-350-2, and (date)-700. Otherwise, there's no way of telling which camera took which photo w/o going into the EXIF, and even then I can't tell the 350s apart!

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).