Sony Support/Service - My opinion

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Sony Support/Service - My opinion

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Sony have now had my A57 for over 2 weeks

Issue Green line on images (some) Level gauge not working on some positions

I found the website not very well designed but eventually got the number to call. I tried to speak to someone (who clearly doesn't speak English as a native language) fine no problems I know plenty of people who can fluently speak English as their second tongue. But not this one..not very good English at all I'm afraid. Still I stuck with it and got "advice on what to do"

I was guided to the online site to fill out a repair form, but if you are in Eire it won't let you complete the form (can't enter a postcode) oh well never mind she'll ring back the next day "as promised"

No phone call came
I sent an email to support explaining that I can't use the form to fill out and requested where to sent the camera; they told me to re-set the camera (I did that on the phone already waste of time)
I told them I had already done that and it's not helping, so I got the send it to the "authorised Sony service centre" in Eire. I emailed them and got quite an absurd email asking me to pay some postage cost in advance, and pay €25 fee for just looking at it. I fired off my email telling them that this is a warranty repair. So I managed to get through that by telling them I'd pay the postage cost one way (insured/registered of course) and I did.
Posted camera off and got no confirmation that they got it from either Sony or from the official repair facility nothing at all (they have all my contact details in my cover letter explaining the problem)
About a week later Sony send me an email saying the case is "under investigation", a few days later I get another email saying "under investigation". Then last week I get one saying they "need my address" in order to proceed further (despite having it in my cover letter to the repair facility, all my information address, phone, mobile, email etc)

So I sent that off and today I get another odd and damn puzzling email back which is as follows:

Dear Mr Fitzgerald
Thank you for your recent e-mail regarding your Sony SLT-A57.
I can confirm that the case is already under investigation and we will contact you shortly.

However please send us as an attachment the estimate of the repair.
Note: We will be contacting you back as soon as we get a reply, and we would like to inform you that if any activities (such as e-mails to be sent from your end or from our end) will be resetting your turn in the call back queue.

Thank you for contacting Sony support.

Yours Sincerely,
Lina Tarrad
Customer Information Centre
SONY EUROPE LIMITED

Huh? So I have to provide an estimate of repairs even though I'm a customer and not a camera repair centre! I can't even put into words what my feelings are. At every level Sony's support and service has failed, from giving me the wrong information to start with (aka fill out the web form) I have no idea where the camera is, I have no idea if it is being repaired or replaced. The emails I have from Sony tell me nothing at all about what is happening (and I have asked). I've bit my tongue for a few weeks because that's what I expect to have to wait to get "the camera back" but I'm lost for words on the last email.

If I used the phrase "clueless" I think that would be too kind. For me it's pretty damn simple
Send camera off
Repair place sends email to confirm they have received the camera
Repair place/Sony keep me informed about "what is happening/progress"
Fix camera or send replacement

Now that's not too hard from where I am standing, but nope I've to mess around now trying to find out what's going on. Frankly I've not had good service experiences from Pentax or Nikon. Pentax just ignore real problems, though one supervisor did call me up so I give him points for that. Nikon are easy to get in touch with (live chat/email/phone) but can't actually fix things properly despite 3 service attempts. Sony well they're unique in that they have such a vague concept of customer support I shudder to think what I might actually get back (if I get anything back at all that is) All 3 makers disappoint me, but Sony seem to be the most clueless shoddy bunch of amateurs I've ever come across. Really I feel it's that bad, this is really simple stuff, very basic customer service. Yet epic fail on every level.

I honestly hope nobody on this forum has to deal with such nonsense, it's no fun at all. Should I get any more "cryptic" emails from Sony I'll pass them on here. Who knows they might even work out what customer support means, if they look it up in the dictionary first, that's if they have an employee who understands English or what a camera is!. :evil:
Heidfirst
Oligarch

Re: Sony Support/Service - My opinion

Unread post by Heidfirst »

sorry to hear of your troubles.
If you were in the UK I would tell you just to phone Pencoed direct but I don't know if that is where cameras from Eire go?
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by mikeriach »

I have to admit it's not very encouraging for those of us who have not yet had the disappointment of a failed device. Touch wood, I've been very lucky with Minolta, KM and Sony with not a single failure in 30 years. Only Tamron and Sigma items suffered faults. Even my Lowepro bag is still fault free after 15 years.
I know I've just cursed myself!

Mike
All my Sony SLT gear gone. Still got my RX100 though.
mvanrheenen

Unread post by mvanrheenen »

This is definately not what you would expect from an international operating corporation like Sony.

I had the misfortune of having my a580 develop the infamous control wheel problem. Fortunately, I didn't buy it from Sony directly, but from a store. As service is a top priority for the store it was a breeze getting it fixed under warranty. It took only 1 online form, posting a packagr with the camera, receipt/invoice and Sony guarantee certificate (or something like that) and 6 weeks later it was returned.

Best of luck Barry.

Mark
bfitzgerald

I'm surprised myself, I did expect fairly decent service after all this is a large well known company. I am a bit annoyed, but simply want the situation resolved. Very disappointing to have to jump through hoops just to get very simple and basic information.

The impression that I get is one of a company that doesn't really have adequate support measures in place, you can forget about any "pro level" support this is just simple and very basic normal customer support. If I get any updates (who knows what is going on I have no idea) I'll add them to this thread.
Heidfirst
Oligarch

where did you send it to for service?
Sony Pencoed have a pretty decent reputation for Alpha servicing but as I said I don't know if that is where Alphas from Eire go.
Almazar80
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Almazar80 »

I have had much better treatment from Sony here in the U.S. Last year, after a family trip, I sent my A77 for adjustment. It turns out that it needed some parts that were backordered. The offered a replacement camera (refurbished) but I did not take it. I also told them that I was wondering about the focus accuracy of the camera . They asked me what lens I used with the camera and I told them that I used my 70-400 G. They wanted to check my lens out, so they sent me a prepaid mailer. AND a loaner 70-400 G lens for several weeks. It turned out that while my copy of the lens was sharp, the loaner was a little sharper. After I received my lens back, it was also "sharper." Sony also provided the return packaging for the loaner lens.

Sometimes Laredo doesn't quite do a great job with adjustments of my camera (once or twice). They've always paid for the return of the camera (back to them) to rectify the situation.

All in all, I am more than pleased with Sony's customer support. Kathie, Mark Weir, et. al. - they are fantastic.
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

Like most big empires, quality of service varies between locations.

I don't have a local camera dealership now so all my orders need to be on the internet unless I can wait till I get down to the Lake District where the excellent Wilkinson Camera branches can be found.

Mike
bfitzgerald

I suspect part of the problem is the local repair facility (part but not all of it) there seems to be a lack of communication between them which is a bit odd because if you award a contract to a sub vendor you would usually make sure that they meet your requirements (ie they have customer support etc etc)

I got this today, looks like Sony have no idea what's going on with my camera!

Dear Mr Fitzgerald

Thank you for your reply.
Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience or frustration that the camera repair might have caused.
I would appreciate your help in tracing your repair so we can offer a satisfactory outcome.

Please provide the following information and I will do my best to help:

- The serial number of your camera.
- Date of purchase and amount paid at purchase.
- An attachment of the original proof of purchase. Please make sure that the attachment does not exceed 3 MBs size.
- The repair job number if possible.
- A proof of paying for the postage for now until we see how we will be able to obtain the repair estimate.

I’m looking forward to hearing from you.

Well the plot deepens maybe I should give Clive Owen a ring to see if he can play the main part in a gritty investigation drama ;-)
jeep1
Initiate

Unread post by jeep1 »

Oh dear, sounds as if Kafka has scripted the plot, best of luck getting it resolved.
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

Sorry to hear that Barry, maybe you need Poirot or Mrs Marple.

I seriously hope it is found, fixed and returned at no cost quickly.

Mike
johnstra
Heirophant

Unread post by johnstra »

My personal experience of Sony Pencoed, the official Sony service centre for the UK, was very good. I had a damaged A77 and lens to be fixed. they were helpful, speedy and the repairs were perfect. They even fixed the zoom creep on the 17-80mm. The person on the end of the phone had a lovely Welsh accent.
Bob Johnston
steve2242

For this very reason, I purchased an

Unread post by steve2242 »

extended warranty. For a 3 year it is $99, well worth the money should a problem arise. Then there is no discussion of cost or who pays for what. I was surprised at how inexpensive the extended warranties are. A 3 year is actually a two year as one year is included with the camera. I always purchase extended warranties on my laptops and audio receivers. It gives me peace of mind and pocketbook.
Heidfirst
Oligarch

afaik Sony don't do extended warranties in the UK for cameras, don't know about Eire.
Anyway, I believe that Barry's A57 is only a few months old.
In any event, you still have to rely on the repair centre being competent.
bfitzgerald

I've no idea where the camera is; they have a repair facility in Eire where it was sent, but I've heard nothing from them at all not even a confirmation email.
No emails as yet from Sony bar the last request for serial number/receipt etc. We're starting to wander into 3 week territory which is getting a bit long for my own liking.

Yes only a few months old I decided to send it in to get that green line/level problem looked at, I'd rather do it now than months down the line when I need the camera. If it's taking this long I would have thought it would be more appropriate to replace the camera.