fossils

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
the_hefay
Viceroy

fossils

Unread post by the_hefay »

I found a couple of fossils Saturday on a hike in the mountains. Two are obviously a shellfish. The other I'm not really sure about, but it has an interesting little spiral something in it.
Attachments
_DSC0089-1.jpg
(381.09 KiB) Downloaded 1325 times
_DSC0083-1.jpg
(445.77 KiB) Downloaded 1325 times
_DSC0046-1.jpg
(450.07 KiB) Downloaded 1325 times
sury
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: fossils

Unread post by sury »

Very interesting, Jeff. Thanks for sharing. Amazing, stuff, the history of nature.

Sury
Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
the_hefay
Viceroy

Thanks Sury. It was pretty fascinating. I'm sure the light circular patches next to the clam shell are identifiable as something to someone that studies fossils.
Pitter
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Pitter »

Amazing that Wyoming was under water at one time. Those shells are probably in the neighborhood of three hundred million years old. Don't know much about them really but I love fossils. Thanks for posting them.
Sony a6000 with 1.8 24 mm
the_hefay
Viceroy

I'm glad you like them. Of course there are those of us that would say it was more like 4,000 years but I suppose this is hardly the forum for a creation/evolution debate. :)
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Lucky finds, Jeff.
Congratulations! Always exciting to find something that pertains to the evolvement of nature and geographical shifts pointing to our Earth's history.

Thanks for sharing,
Yildiz
the_hefay
Viceroy

Thanks Aster. You know, as I'm looking at the two pictures of the shells. I think maybe it's the same fossil. The one shell is concave the other convex. If you look at the lighter colored roundish spots around the shells, they appear to be mirror images. I now want to go back and see if the two rocks fit together. They were actually lying quite close together when we found them.
the_hefay
Viceroy

Yes, they are. In the first photo it's easy to see a very much smaller shell or portion of shell a little to the left of the big shell. This can also be seen in the second photo to the right. It is in the same position, just mirrored. I wish I would've noticed this at the time.
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Good work, Jeff. : )

I guess that's what photography does to an enthusiast; you learn to examine the subject deeper and deeper, and, hence find out more about one's past related to those objects. Everything is related to one an other one way or an other. Once where there was the sea, now lies barren rock faces... : ) One learns to appreciate one's surroundings.

Yildiz