Glossy Ibis

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Almazar80
Grand Caliph

Glossy Ibis

Unread post by Almazar80 »

It was an interesting weekend at Huntley Meadows. I was walking on Saturday afternoon when someone asked me if I had seen the glossy ibis. Heck, I didn't even know what a glossy ibis was. Well, apparently, this bird is a very rare visitor to this parts, as it is more of a tropical bird. So, here are some pictures.

It is a beautiful bird. Thanks for looking.
jbtaylor
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: Glossy Ibis

Unread post by jbtaylor »

Yes, he is far from home.
Good catch.
sury
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by sury »

Nice set. Especially the third one. You were quite close to the bird on the third one.
Proximity or long zoom?

Sury
Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
Almazar80
Grand Caliph

Long zoom, but the ibis was closer on the third picture.
sury
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by sury »

Thank you. Which zoom was it, if I may ask?

Sury
Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hi Almazar80;

I just loved looking at the photos of this Glossy Ibis aka Ibis comata (Plegadis falcinellus), over and over again. So nicely taken, congratulations.

The iridescent rusty torso and neck melting into metallic dark teal and then into darkness at the tail end... Amazing bird, with its long curved beak.
I can see why the ancient Egyptians held it sacred and protected it, allocating the bird a special place among their many gods and burying them in the Hermopolis. Interesting belief patterns are associated with them in ancient Egypt's daily life.

Thank you for the post Almazar80. They are very rarely seen around, especially the iridescently glossy type. :D This post took me back many years, to my early teenage years, when I was very curious about Mesopotamia and everything ancient Egypt. :)

Yildiz
Almazar80
Grand Caliph

Thanks for the comments Yildiz. I've never seen a glossy ibis before until this weekend. It's still hanging around Huntley Meadowsi, in the middle of suburban Alexandria, Virginia. It may have been blown inland by a fierce windstorm that hit the DC area two weeks ago. No complaints - it is a beautiful bird to behold. And it moves faster than I though possible.

Suri, I am using the Tamron 150-600mm lens. While it's not as sharp as the Sony 70-400G, it has the longer reach. Truth be told, though, I still miss the Sony 70-400G.
Marcell Nikolausz
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Marcell Nikolausz »

Nice captures
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

What a spectacular bird! Wonder details on your pictures. (I think I prefer the colours in the first two.) Is that a fish or shrimp it has caught in the first?
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
Almazar80
Grand Caliph

The ibis, like Elvis, has left the building (Huntley Meadows). According to some spectators, it just flew high into the sky and went eastward. It really is a beautiful bird. And thank you for the comments.