Do Either of These Work?

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
jbtaylor
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Do Either of These Work?

Unread post by jbtaylor »

And if so, which one and why?
Thanks.
a99 and Sony 70-200mm G @ f8.0

bakubo
Tower of Babel

Re: Do Either of These Work?

Unread post by bakubo »

Although I am a big fan of B&W I think that the color one in this case is preferable. I suggest working on it a bit more though. For example, I am seeing a cyan color cast that needs to be corrected. Do you see it or is it just me and my computer?
jbtaylor

Thanks for the feedback.
I do not see the color cast. As for the B&W, the red and green are of the same tone which makes for a tough conversion.
The leading edge of clouds from the tropical storm showed up early this afternoon and this was the only shot i could find while driving around. Couldn't find enough space and objects on the interesting side of the sky. A polarizer would have helped as well.
Last edited by jbtaylor on Mon May 30, 2016 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
sury
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by sury »

I like the colored version for the skies.

Sury
Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
the_hefay
Viceroy

Unread post by the_hefay »

I like the color version and I'm not seeing the cyan color cast. I am no expert at LR or B&W but you might be able to increase the luminance of the red or green channel in LR or similar program which would, I think, help create contrast between the barn and trees in the B&W shot if that's what you're looking for.
jbtaylor

Thanks.
I will tinker with it.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

jbtaylor wrote: I do not see the color cast.
A few minutes ago I used the Photoshop eyedropper in CMYK mode and sampled various neutral places (white clouds and metal roof) that I would expect the values for C, Y, M, K to all be close to equal. C (cyan) was in all cases higher. The "blue" sky also measures cyan much higher that I would expect. I tried Auto Color and that looks better. I sampled several places and the cyan now seems to be more in line with what I would expect. So, maybe my eyes are just more sensitive to a cyan color cast so I can see it (and measure it), but others don't notice. The main thing is that you like it though since it is your photo. There is no "right" since it is subjective as to what you prefer.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

The colour one works better for me too. The red barn contrasts with the both the blue sky, and the green crops, adding that extra bit of interest I don't get from the B&W.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
jbtaylor

Thanks Birma.