Eagle Pics

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
jbtaylor
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Eagle Pics

Unread post by jbtaylor »

I had everything set up in anticipation of this event, except for the focal length. Therefore, these are heavily cropped. The a99 with the Sony 70-200mm G just doesn't focus fast enough to trust it with getting the shot so I had to focus on the fish wide enough to allow the bird to fly into the frame.

sury
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: Eagle Pics

Unread post by sury »

That was an excellent sequence, JB. Liked it a lot.

Sury
Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hi JBTaylor; : )

Nice ! So, this was a special event for photographers? The fish appears to be not alive, just floating there on the surface of the water...

As all wildlife photos are, very neat, though.

Thanks for sharing,

Yildiz
jbtaylor
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by jbtaylor »

Good day Yildiz.
You are exactly correct. The tour group also hosts fishing trips. Leftover fish go to the tour boats as bait for the eagles. I have my concerns about such practices as it is usually preached that distance from wildlife is always best. These eagles know these boats and look out for them. This sequence can only be attributed to this practice. Do I feel bad? Do the "Naturlaists" feel bad? Does the eagle feel bad? All good questions. I would have never caught these images without these practices.
You can decide.

'This is a crop. They say that the seals know the boat and the sound of the tour guide's voice. Is this ok?

aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Thanks for the information, JBTaylor;

I know what you mean...

That last shot of the eagles perched on the top of the rocks and the seals watching you and the boat do look odd indeed. Most of the times we don't see all of these things happening at the same time...Apparently there are 'touristy' reasons. They are smart creatures that learn fast when it comes to finding their food but indeed, the wild life seems to have lost its natural course of food gathering or hunting...Their natural instincts are -maybe temporarily- overrun by ready food. A rather lazy approach when we know that they are very sharp creatures but food is food, I guess and can we blame them?

Thanks for sharing,

Yildiz