Sony a77iii rumor

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
the_hefay
Viceroy

Sony a77iii rumor

Unread post by the_hefay »

Not many details in the rumor, but it's a positive sign for a-mount crop sensor users.
http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr3-firs ... qus_thread
CHOLLY
Oligarch

Re: Sony a77iii rumor

Unread post by CHOLLY »

I would be interested in this camera.... but ONLY if it is faster than the A99II.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

I suspect it will make sense to have this update if they can beef it up. Obviously people expect 4K more video modes etc, new sensor better performance. Probabaly won't be cheap though. Only reaon I passed on the A77II was the sensor didn't offer much over the A77, the other improvements whilst worthwhile (buffer, AF modes, tweaking etc) just were not enough to justify the price (which is still pretty high)

Don't know about speed fps is already pretty fast buffer also large. Maybe they will increase it a bit. Hate to say this but if one of my bodies packed up I'd probably buy an A68; not because it appeals much but it would get the job done (and has MFA too). I would like to see an A77III out there
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

I'd only return to A77 series if GPS was restored...
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

David Kilpatrick wrote:I'd only return to A77 series if GPS was restored...
they already went the app/bluetooth way...
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bfitzgerald

Have to admit I do use GPS a fair if they had an add on that might be suitable. Lack of GPS doesn't bother me on cheap bodies it's something I'd like on higher end ones. The phone method is not nearly as hassle free A77 I just erm take the shot it's already embedded in the files jpegs or raw
bfitzgerald

A year later and still no news this is quite a long time since the A77II came out (4 years), no doubt people will be watching to see if something turns up (ie the next 6 months) if it doesn't...well :shock:
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by mikeriach »

...and they wonder why people like me give up and defect to the dark side....

I see the prices of the E mount stuff and it's quite scary. Not a system I am interested in but some nice features.
All my Sony SLT gear gone. Still got my RX100 though.
bfitzgerald

I suppose this year will be the one to watch as it's 5 years old in June. Nikon dumped their D7200 in price heavily and that came out a year later I think, some might say the Nikon isn't quite the match but in many ways it was or is. Can't imagine Sony have sold that many in recent times they jacked up the price to £950 when it was under £700 at one point. Way to kill any interest I was going to get one, but not paying that price for it's age, not brand new isn't worth it.

If they do come out with a new one who knows, very little happening -A99II most recent bit pricey though a few seem to like it. My A77 grip fits both that's partly my interest even if I don't use the grip that much.

If nothing happens in 2019 then I suspect the worst. I very much doubt they will do a press release saying it's game over. Maybe they will shock us. Hints will be if stock runs out and you can buy the A68/77II or A99II. I'm not sure the A99II is a wise investment even if it's a hell of a camera as some say it is, maybe a grey import if you want to take a chance.

I don't find E mount that exciting though they did up their game a bit A7iii. Sorted the battery out, not keen on the boxy handling look myself. Worst case scenario is E mount and adapters, flashes will fit fine so it's not total disaster. Would be more convincing if Sony released a much better adapter with more AF points or allowing the phase detect on sensor. Only one reason I stuck around 2 disaster experiments with other makers, and I have way too many lenses. Which I enjoy using and many of them are worth very little selling them. Same for the A77/57 hardly worth selling them might as well use them good enough for many tasks.
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

I was sad to leave Sony but they just dumped the A mount and left me no option but to defect. Like you I don't like the E mount bodies nor the eye watering glass prices.
I still have a A77mk2 which the wife uses occasionally with a Tamron 16-300 which is a good travel combo.
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

Don't hold your breath: no resources on A-mount, cameras or lenses, for a while.
We'll be really lucky if we see a new A77/A99 camera in the future.
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

Sad to hear that if that turns out to be reality.
When I transitioned from Minolta to Sony I had high hopes and their 70-400G was a stonking lens on both the A77 and A99, better than the equivalent Nikon or Canon product. Even against the competitions Mk2 lenses the Sony Mk1 just about held its ground and by all accounts the tweak in the Mk2 put it back on level terms again. Sadly nothing else happened in the lens dept which interested me and as for body development we all know what did or didn't happen there. Even the third party lens makers didn't want to play such that the lenses I desired weren't even made in A mount so now I'm a very happy Nikon user with access to a huge array of lenses that I can drool over and some I bought. That's not to say there isn't room for improvement because there is for sure.
I really hope you are wrong Pako but I believe you may be right.
bfitzgerald

Hard to say what's going on. Sony's plan seems to be to keep prices high and not sell any of the bodies! If they entirely run out of inventory at some point that's what to keep an eye on -if the 3 bodies are no longer available to buy, a good sign things are heading south. Still the ways things are moving with mirrorless, not sure it would be a good idea to invest in any DSLR mount right now. But if you have Nikon the Z might be an option. It will be a while before Nikon or Canon entirely dumps DSLR probably a good few years, then they will keep the pricey pro bodies about mainly (that's my guess)

What Sony need to do if they have 0 interest in A mount is either consider selling it to some China company (yes why not rather someone tries than does nothing) - Pentax are still around with a tiny market share. And make a real adapter not using dated AF tech from years ago, minus the SLT mirror and supporting screw drive lenses.

I could sell my entire inventory and maybe buy an A7III and one lens ;-) Some of the lenses are worth nothing almost, but are capable optics and I like them. So I decided to stick around run the stuff I have and keep it going with a view I can at least use them in the fiture, albeit with some limitations. Worst case you'll still be able to dig around for s/h stuff for years to come, and what there is about is capable enough for my needs.

I haven't bought a new Sony products for years, mainly s/h the A77 was the last body at a blowout super low price new.. I didn't pay for the 35mm F1.8 or 18-135mm. Sony made very little out of me A57/A77 and the reason is I could see the storm brewing years ago. I'm not anti Sony they just don't really seem to be on the same planet. Any s/h items I get Sony makes 0 profit on, my way of saying thanks for ignoring us! Hence the reason I sourced mainly Minolta lenses.

Industry is following a clear trend, yes mirrorless with super expensive big lenses that most people can't or won't buy. They are trying desperately to increase their profits on dwindling sales, with high prices compounding the problems further (even more sales decline). On the up side you can ebay a s/h full frame camera Canikon for a very modest outlay, there are tons of listings around and as ILC catches on more prices s/h continue to go south! So I expect more and more people to buy second hand to avoid the nasty prices. It's not all bad news I gave up worrying about it years ago, no point just keep shooting!