Mr Brunel will see you now, Ma'am...

Post off topic jokes which do not need c*nsorsh*p - gotcha! and links to photo funnies here
JohnDuder
Acolyte

Mr Brunel will see you now, Ma'am...

Unread postby JohnDuder » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:27 am

Booking a ticket the other day, I was struck by the camera in TheTrainLine's banner...

A Zenith. Flopped.

Almost speechless.
Attachments
trainline.jpg
trainline.jpg (275.11 KiB) Viewed 110 times

bakubo
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: Mr Brunel will see you now, Ma'am...

Unread postby bakubo » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:12 am

I can't tell which camera brand that is, but if you say it is a Zenith then maybe so. I never even knew Zenith made SLRs. Mostly I remember them from TVs and radios.

Also, notice that the camera has been reversed left to right. I can't imagine that even a Zenith camera would be like that so they screwed up in the ad.

UrsaMajor
Imperial Ambassador

Unread postby UrsaMajor » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:28 am

That is Zenith (Zenit) the Soviet camera maker, not Zenith the US radio and TV manufacturer.

And yes, the image is flipped - possibly through ignorance and possibly intentionally for compositional purposes.

- Tom -

JohnDuder
Acolyte

Unread postby JohnDuder » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:18 pm

It's obviously a case of cultural differences... Every British photographer over 40 knows of Zeniths, and half used them, often their first camera. Imported here in the UK by Technical and Optical Equipment. They achieved soem sort of bottom-market dominance here, with an SLR for well under £30, including a real leather case. At the time, I understand that Russian kit was just about unsellable in the USA, for political reasons.

They were built like T-38 tanks - there's occasionally a rumour that the same factor was involved, but that has more basis in wit than reality. They were basic (1/30 to 1/500 plus B, Pentax screw mount, preset aperture, and the ones with meters didn't meter well or long). But the standard lens was decent, and they appealed to the sort of photographer who spurned sophistication.

So not a lot of crossover with Sony users...

The camera in the picture was a later model, with FAD and a non-rotating shutter speed dial. The banner is from a British train booking site, so has some resonance with anyone who has travels much by rail here!

bakubo
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread postby bakubo » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:12 pm

JohnDuder wrote:It's obviously a case of cultural differences... Every British photographer over 40 knows of Zeniths, and half used them, often their first camera. Imported here in the UK by Technical and Optical Equipment. They achieved soem sort of bottom-market dominance here, with an SLR for well under £30, including a real leather case. At the time, I understand that Russian kit was just about unsellable in the USA, for political reasons.

They were built like T-38 tanks - there's occasionally a rumour that the same factor was involved, but that has more basis in wit than reality. They were basic (1/30 to 1/500 plus B, Pentax screw mount, preset aperture, and the ones with meters didn't meter well or long). But the standard lens was decent, and they appealed to the sort of photographer who spurned sophistication.

So not a lot of crossover with Sony users...

The camera in the picture was a later model, with FAD and a non-rotating shutter speed dial. The banner is from a British train booking site, so has some resonance with anyone who has travels much by rail here!

Still never heard of Zenith cameras. Of course, I have heard of and seen Zenit cameras for decades, but never a Zenith. Could you provide a photo of a Zenith camera because I would really like to see it. Thanks.

Return to “Jokes and Photo Phunnies”