Memory Card Suggestion for 24+ MP... (off-topic, I Know) :)

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
aster
Tower of Babel

Memory Card Suggestion for 24+ MP... (off-topic, I Know) :)

Unread post by aster »

Hi everyone; :)

Since, hopefully, I'll upload the photos that I'll shoot with my new Sony A6000 in this forum and because this is the most actively participated forum, I'd like to ask my question here if you don't mind:

*..Which memory cards and what capacity gave you the most processing speed and the least problems when you started shooting videos with your 24+ MP cameras ? Or do you have complaints because some didn't live up to your expectations ?

I have a couple of cards that may work but if you'd care to share what you purchased, I'd be happy to think those as my options and may take that direction as well. :)

Thanks,

Yildiz

bakubo
Tower of Babel

Re: Memory Card Suggestion for 24+ MP... (off-topic, I Know) :)

Unread post by bakubo »

Sorry, I don't know the answer, but maybe someone here will pipe up.
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hi Henry; :)

Thanks for the response.

Naturally I have the camera manual's recommendations and a couple of cards that seem to be working at the moment. I bought them quite a while ago which leaves questions as to how long and how successfully the cards will record video compared to newer cards.
And, for some reason the recommended memory cards seem to be out of stock in the Sony shop at this time.

Sony A6000 manual recommends: (if anyone's using any of the cards listed below, are you pleased with the performance?)

For photos and videos.

A:
Memory Stick XC-HG Duo
Memory Stick PRO Duo (mark 2 only)
Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo

B:
SD Memory Card (Class 4 or faster)
SDHC Memory Card (Class 4 or faster)
SDXC Memory Card (Class 4 or faster)

Thanks,
Yildiz
smulnik
Grand Caliph

Unread post by smulnik »

Yildiz,
I'm not sure of the specifics or life-cycles of memory cards (I'm not much of a techie :? ). The cards listed below are what I'm using in my cameras for photos and videos.

NEX 7
- Sony Memory Stick Pro Duo Mark 2 (16 GB)

A99
- Sony SD HC I, SD-Class 10, UHS-Class 1 (32 GB)
- Sony Memory Stick Pro Duo Mark 2 (16 GB)

The Memory Sticks that I have are significantly older (by years) and still perform well. But before doing any serious video or photo shoots I try to make sure that I re-format them. I don't know if that really prevents any new files from being corrupted, but I haven't had any problems capturing AVCHD video or photos when using those sticks/cards on those cameras.

When I got my RX100 IV, I decided to upgrade to a faster/larger card (for XAVC S), and it is doing well. I haven't tried the new card with any of the other cameras yet. It's kind of "overkill" for the RX100 but I figured that I'll probably need it for a bigger camera (hopefully :) ) sometime in the future.

RX100 IV
- San Disk Extreme Pro SD XC I, SD-Class 10, UHS-Class 3 (64 GB)

I hope this info helps.
Have fun with that A6000! :D
Sig
A7 III - A99 - NEX 7 - A900 - A100 - RX100 IV
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

aster wrote:.
B:
SD Memory Card (Class 4 or faster)
SDHC Memory Card (Class 4 or faster)
SDXC Memory Card (Class 4 or faster)
If that is all that is required for video just get yourself a class 10 SD card. They are very inexpensive and ubiquitous. I don't do video, but I have 8 or so 16gb and 32gb class 10 cards. I think class 10 is the most common these days.

Class 4: 4mb/second (minimum speed)
Class 10: 10mb/second (minimum speed)

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/storage/ ... st-microsd
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hi Smulnik and Henry; :)

Smulnik, thank you for sharing the experience you had with the cards. I think the San Disk Extreme Pro SD XC I, SD-Class 10, UHS-Class 3 (64 GB) or equivalent is the direction I should go as well. I have been looking into cards today and there are some good options with varied data-transfer speeds and capacities. It is all about how fast, accurate and without losses the card writes and later reads when the video file is transferred or played.
I sure hope data corruption doesn't become an issue and data can be stored on the card long enough without being at risk of getting lost.

:D I certainly do hope that the A6000 and I have some nice photography and video-shooting time. I won't be able to find neat ballerinas to compose atmospheric theatre photos soon but I may find some other interesting subjects... Thank you for the good wishes. :)

Henry, thank you for the link. The link helps a lot with the decision-making. I believe that we're thinking the same things... I found similar cards in an online store and will probably order one of the impressively high-speed ones.

Thanks, you both have been very helpful on choosing a card. Now, I'll just hope that I receive a good sample that wasn't damaged on its way to the shops.

Thanks for sharing,
Yildiz

aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Just an update on the memory card dilemma: :D

I finally got a SanDisk Extreme 64GB SDXC Memory Card 64GB 90MB/s V30 UHS-I U3. It's with the courier and on its way to be delivered any moment now. :)

Smulnik, your card is PRO which comes with a file-recovery software as bonus....a tad better. :) I believe I'll be happy with my selection for what I do at the moment.

Thank you for all the help, guys, Smulnik and Henry. :D You're the best, so is the forum !

Yıldız

Memory Card
sd memory card.png
(421.93 KiB) Downloaded 3779 times
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Update: Haven't received yet !

Talk about being enthusiastic when the track report read that "it was with the courier to be delivered within few hours" !, two days ago.
The card has been "long-walking" with the courier for the past two days around our district...
Hope he doesn't drop it or something because I need an undamaged one.
Last day for delivery today (legally); if it doesn't arrive, I get the right to file a complaint to the company and things will take serious new turn. :D

Moral of the story ?

1. There may be dark forces in action...
2. Your happiness might be getting on someone's nerves and they feel the urge to interfere to make you unhappy with small distractions like purposely-delaying card deliveries. :D
3. Fate got tempted; it's playing a life lesson game on the Courier Company because the customer/client is not happy with delivery services. Karma at work. In this case, I play the part of Karma and I turn the tables on them. What good can come out of making Yildiz unhappy ? Nothing. More paper work, more complaints to be filed legally...They probably will apologize but Precious Time cannot be redeemed with all the money, smiles and apologies in the World.
A change will come...Let's see what it shall be; dealing my good options here ! :D

Apparently nobody can match the speed and goodness of attentive, informed Photo Club Alpha members ! We WIN ! : )

:D Thanks for reading, hope we all have agitation-free days, months, years, eternity !

Yildiz

ValeryD
Viceroy

Unread post by ValeryD »

I agree with previous posts about Sony and Sandisk cards. For myself, I found that the Samsung cards work fine and do not break down mechanically quickly.
Works excellent with a57,a77-2, a99-2.
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/sa ... 17558.aspx?
Everything in the life unusual!
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

ValeryD wrote:I agree with previous posts about Sony and Sandisk cards. For myself, I found that the Samsung cards work fine and do not break down mechanically quickly.
Works excellent with a57,a77-2, a99-2.
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/sa ... 17558.aspx?

Hi ValeryD; :)

Thank you for your response.

I'm glad you agree with the others on card choices.
About Samsung EVO; I saw the card and read about it in the online store that I bought my card. The prices were reasonable and the specs good but there was a warning about the card being not for DSLRs or similar cameras but for cellphones and mobile devices. That's what directed me to the selection I made above, the SanDisk memory card.

Since I know that you use higher-spec DSLRs, your recommendation comes as a surprising relief as opposed to what I read during my research. :) Your photos are good and probably your videos are too, so Samsung EVO-PLus must be really good and living up to your expectations.

I'll definitely keep that in mind for future reference. Thank you very much for sharing. :) I appreciate that.

Yildiz

ps. I assumed that you are pleased with the card for writing Full HD video files and reading too. Are you happy with the way videos are processed? Thanks

aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Final update on acquisition of the card: :D It has arrived ! But almost in the last hour before Purchase Confirmation ...

Seems to work fine and hoping for no trouble in the future. : )

Thank you everyone for the info and clarifications that brought relief.

YILDIZ

bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Glad it finally arrived! It reminds me of the old English expression: A watched pot never boils. :)
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

bakubo wrote:Glad it finally arrived!
Thank you, Henry. :) So, am I.

bakubo wrote:... It reminds me of the old English expression: A watched pot never boils. :)
:D :D Yes, I know the expression. We have one in Turkish too...

The last time I checked though -this morning- the pot had no problem with boiling the water and the coffee within 60 seconds while being closely watched, my two eyes locked piercingly on it ! : ) Technology! Old yet good expressions may need a reviewing and revising by the relevant experts or wise people of the current era, it seems. :D

Yildiz
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hİ,

After purchasing the ILCE 6000 and the memory card with your help I've been quiet on anything related but finally I had a few hours to shoot a trial recipe video to get accustommed to the camera workflow.
I like that it handled everything well including providing a pleasant DoF with the default lens PZ 16-50 OSS/E 3.5-5.6.
This frame is saved from the video as JPEG using Sony Play Memories provided by the camera manufacturer; no post-processing.

Criticism welcome on any matter.

Sharing the whisk, eggs, leeks and the grate. (sort of)

Yildiz

Eggs and whisk
ILCE 6000 - Trial shoot.jpg
(136.21 KiB) Downloaded 3370 times
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

So, what are you cooking? :)

The big question is though: Would this photo have been better with a different SD card model or brand? :lol: I had to ask for all the gearheads who are dying to know. Probably somewhere there is a long thread full of people arguing about which cards produce the best photos. Best microcontrast, fullness, roundness, sharpness, bokeh, etc. :lol: