problem with Sony A700 not rotating photos on immediate play

Discussion of all digital SLR cameras under the Minolta and Konica Minolta brands
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Barbara
Acolyte

problem with Sony A700 not rotating photos on immediate play

Unread post by Barbara »

My A700 has just started exhibiting a problem where it will not automatically rotate a vertical photo in the immediate playback mode when the camera is held horizontally. However, if I turn the photo display off and then back on again, the photo will display in a vertical format when the camera is held horizontally. This seemed to start after I set the preference to manually rotate to try out that viewing option. I didn’t like that way of viewing so I set the preference back to auto rotate but it seems to be stuck on manually rotate. I can find no workaround for this and neither could the Sony person I spoke with. I am hoping that someone will have a way I can correct the problem so I don’t have to send the camera out for repair.

I have also previously noticed that sometimes when changing the camera from vertical to horizontal that the information display on the LCD would get stuck in vertical but would change once I moved the camera around a bit - sort of like a gyroscope got stuck. Could these issues be related?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Barbara
js1
Acolyte

Re: problem with Sony A700 not rotating photos on immediate play

Unread post by js1 »

Do You shoot RAW och Jpeg? I think mine acted similar when I went over to shot RAW only.
Barbara
Acolyte

Unread post by Barbara »

js1 wrote:Do You shoot RAW och Jpeg? I think mine acted similar when I went over to shot RAW only.
I shoot in jpeg, but interestingly enough, I had taken a few shots in raw to see what it looked like in the viewer but had put the setting back to x fine jpeg. That’s when I noticed it had stopped automatically reverting the photos to vertical.

Were you able to correct the situation or does your camera not rotate the photos to vertical either?

Barbara
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Immediately after shooting with RAW, the picture you view is in the way you took it, i.e. if vertical, then it remains so till the time set for picture viewing (3s, 5s etc), but in that position whenever you magnify the image you will have in the upright position instantly (of course if set to automatic rotate). As for jpeg, well, I'm not sure, I never shoot in jpeg if I have RAW. In the case of A700 I shoot only cRAW.
I don't think your camera has any problem, imho.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Barbara
Acolyte

Unread post by Barbara »

Dr. Harout wrote:Immediately after shooting with RAW, the picture you view is in the way you took it, i.e. if vertical, then it remains so till the time set for picture viewing (3s, 5s etc), but in that position whenever you magnify the image you will have in the upright position instantly (of course if set to automatic rotate). As for jpeg, well, I'm not sure, I never shoot in jpeg if I have RAW. In the case of A700 I shoot only cRAW.
I don't think your camera has any problem, imho.

Thank you for your input. I am very much relieved.

Barbara
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

My pleasure. :)
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr