Weddings

Discussion of all digital SLR cameras under the Minolta and Konica Minolta brands
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
WeddingShooter
Acolyte

Re: Weddings

Unread post by WeddingShooter »

DavidConn wrote:
WeddingShooter wrote:Hi all, I'm new here! I'm pretty active on other forums but hadn't quite made it to this one until now.

With all the buzz about new cameras, accessories, and lenses, I think many of us get distracted and forget why we bought cameras in the first place. That being said, I'd love to see a thread discussing the merits, drawbacks, pieces of advice, and experiences with using the Alpha system to shoot weddings. I have been shooting weddings exclusively with Sony now for almost two years, so I feel like I've been in the Sony-only wedding photography game for longer than most.

Anyone else here use only Sony for wedding photography? If so, what does you kit include? What were/are your biggest problems with the system? What else do you have to comment on concerning the subject?

I'm not looking for 'what's the cheapest Sony wedding kit option' or anything such thing, just good information from people with experience (preferably professional experience at that). I think an information thread on the matter would be of great interest to many.

So it would seem i too am guilty of going "off topic" in this thread, so lets try to get this back on topic. I recently had a camera package on loan to me for over 2 months from Sony, through their "Artisan" program. My kit consisted of a A900 body, the CZ 16-35 and the CZ 24-70 and the HVL-58 Flash. I really wanted the 70-200 2.8 but beggars can't be choosers as they say. :-)
1. A900 body
I found the body with vertical grip to be well laid out, controls were simple and within easy reach. Image quality was excellent. I shot in RAW and Craw as well. Large beautiful files were the result. Amazing and large bright viewfinder. The built in Image stabilizer will quickly grow into one of those "can't live without features". I shot using 200-1600 ASA settings and found that as long as there was decent quality of light the images looked excellent even at 1600. At higher ASA, i would not dream of using.....too much noise as you all know too well.
I particularly liked the hand position for vertical shooting with this grip. I took a few attempts to master it, but then it really grew on me. I could not figure out a fast shortcut for formatting the CF card either, maybe reading the manual would have helped me! LOL
2. Lenses
Amazing pieces of glass. I have not held optics in my hands that smacked of the same build quality as my old Zeiss CF Hasselblad lenses. They are built tough and to last, and i think the extra cost is justified for them.
Excellent sharpness, color and handling.
3.Flash HVL-58
What a brilliant piece of engineering, perhaps my favorite part of the package. Simple controls, love the 180 degree strobe rotation to the side for vertical shooting. All of my wedding colleagues were amazed, and frankly im shocked that its taken this many years for this design to emerge from anyone.

Conclusion:
LOVE, LOVE LOVE the system. Recommended to all, and i will be making an investment soon, as i am waiting for some financing to come through. I will try and post some images taken with the camera soon.
Thank you David, this is really the kind of input I was hoping to get from this thread. How have you found the processing of A900 images? Do you find yourself spending more or less time to process them versus other systems?
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

DavidConn wrote: 2. Lenses
Amazing pieces of glass. I have not held optics in my hands that smacked of the same build quality as my old Zeiss CF Hasselblad lenses. They are built tough and to last, and i think the extra cost is justified for them.
Excellent sharpness, color and handling.
You can borrow my 35-200 Xi for a week and you'll see how beautiful a "legacy" lens can be (OK, dealing with the motorized zoom isn't that easy and some people just hate it, but it worthwhile trying it)

On a wedding, I bring 3 lenses with me; the17-35 f2.8-4; the 28-75 f2.8 and the 100 f2.8 Soft Focus. If I think I'll need more reach, I'll take the 35-200 Xi

I only takes the Tamrom 70-200 f2.8 for engagement pics: it is a great lens but too big and bulky for a long wedding day.
DavidConn wrote: 3.Flash HVL-58
What a brilliant piece of engineering, perhaps my favorite part of the package. Simple controls, love the 180 degree strobe rotation to the side for vertical shooting. All of my wedding colleagues were amazed, and frankly im shocked that its taken this many years for this design to emerge from anyone.
I totally agree with you: the people who design the 58AM (and the 20AM too, by the way) deserves a price! But it is a little too expensive for me, so I bought the Metz 58 AF-1 that I use if I need TTL or wireless (I got the 20AM a couple of weeks ago because it is on sale now), otherwise I use my trusties Metz 60 an a couple or Photogenic Studiomax.
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DavidConn
Acolyte

Unread post by DavidConn »

Thank you David, this is really the kind of input I was hoping to get from this thread. How have you found the processing of A900 images? Do you find yourself spending more or less time to process them versus other systems?[/quote]

Processing is handled by my staff, but its the same download procedure using Photoshop and its associated actions as Nikon/Canon. Just need bigger storage for these big Raw files.....
UrsaMajor
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by UrsaMajor »

weddingshooter wrote:Thank you David, this is really the kind of input I was hoping to get from this thread. How have you found the processing of A900 images? Do you find yourself spending more or less time to process them versus other systems?
DavidConn wrote:Processing is handled by my staff, but its the same download procedure using Photoshop and its associated actions as Nikon/Canon. Just need bigger storage for these big Raw files.....
As second-hand input, I'll pass along some comments made by one of Sony's "Artisans of Imaging" at a talk she gave at a SonyStyle store a couple of months ago. According to the Sony propaganda, she is a "name" wedding photographer, and when I did a search for her on the web, she was certainly very visible. (FWIW, you can look at http://www.merakohphotography.com/index2.php for a bit more info.)

When someone asked why she had switched from Canon to the Sony A900 she was using, she said "The handling, the great Zeiss lenses, and the color. When I was shooting Canon, I always had to correct the color in post-processing to get the quality I promise my clients. With the Sony, the color is almost always what it should be. That saves me time that I can use for something else."

Of course, since she is a paid rep for Sony, one can always question those remarks, but I'll pass them along for what they are worth.

With best wishes,
- Tom -

bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Sure you want to be a wedding photographer? :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=js7RzcdDcMs
DavidConn
Acolyte

Unread post by DavidConn »

thats a funny clip..... sadly, there is a lot of poor quality photography out there. Horror stories abound.....the judge was right though, and they should have been prepared for any and all situations that might arise. Several 2.8 lenses should have been in their kit, and they would have been ok. I think this drives home the point that whether you charge a small or large fee for your work, your risk and liability to produce the job does not diminish. Thats why i sell my concept based upon "knowledge, creativity and experience. Albums and prints are a bonus......
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Yeah, funny clip. Underscores the point that if you want to shoot weddings, for whatever price, you should know what you are doing and be prepared for unhappy clients who haul you into court. :) Not something that interests me. :)
bobwalk3
Acolyte

Unread post by bobwalk3 »

Yup - I've been shooting weddings with Sony DSLR for at least two years (lost track). I had two A300 and I was satisfied and content until... Well, I had to have a FF and I'm the proud owner of an A900 and a lot poorer. Sold one A300 on Ebay and the other still get used. Love, love, the A900 but I sometimes miss the live view.
www.robertwalkerphotos.com
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

Welcome to the forums, Bob. I ran across your site a couple of years ago, don't remember why. Perhaps you stated somewhere online that you had used Minlota of Sony.

I love that great Southside Church photo.

Dusty
jonathanh
Acolyte

Unread post by jonathanh »

Hi all,
I have been shooting weddings for over 20 years and do so on the following equipment:
A900 + grip
24- 70CZ
A700 + Grip
70 200G
85g
FVH 58 x2
Sigma 12 24
Canon g11

I have recently acquired the A900 and I love the feel of the camera and its bright view finder although it is considerably louder with mirror slap than the A700. The image quality is fantastic and I am happy with images up to 1600asa but would like more. All work flow starts with card downloaded over firewire to a mirrored drive and then stored in ACDSee pro. All image processing then into Adobe lightroom 3 and if needed CS4. Images then burnt to CD and also stored on a drobo which is a fantastic bit of kit.

The main lens that I use is the 24 70 which is very hard wearing and will take the knocks as you move around. Use the Black Rapid harness to hold two cameras without the need for a case which is carried by my assistant. this makes you far more mobile and allows you to have both the 24 70 and 70 200 close at hand to cover both angles for the shoot.

The car will have acomplete set of backup equipment including portable harddrive camera bodies other lenses and flash and a complete set of elinchrom quatra ranger flash.

WOuld recommend the A900 to anyone as it is easy to use hasalthough after 10 hours can get alittle heavy.

Regards
Jonathan H
http://www.piersphoto.com
A900, A700's user
bobwalk3
Acolyte

Unread post by bobwalk3 »

Jonathan, I will second your recommendation for the A900. It is a great camera. I recently acquired a Tamron 28-75 f/2.8. I used it a little - so far - so good. I researched the lens and the comparisons with the CZ and the SAL it looked very good. Price didn't hurt (as much) either.
Bob
jonathanh
Acolyte

Unread post by jonathanh »

I used the sigma 24 70 before and the difference is chalk and cheeze the CZ is so sharp and has real resolution, the lens hood is quite tough too although I need a new one I object to £82 for a lens hood. I don't know the Tamron but I am sure that it will give you good service and once you have done enough weddings you can get the CZ!!
Jonathan H
http://www.piersphoto.com
A900, A700's user